Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with NavTrak - anyone any experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2003, 01:21 AM
Ian Griffiths
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I'm on my second NavTrak unit now after the first one failed at just over one year old and cost me 275 quid to be replaced. This one has recently had a new sim card after it couldn't locate me when I needed directions on a weekend away. I called to check tonight everything was in order and the car reported back but gave its location as my home address, despite being up a mates 10 miles away.

Does anyone else have comparable experience or am I just unlucky?

Does this sound like cause for complaint/refund? I'm close to asking them to forget it and buy me a Track-mate, that was I can text it myself and know for sure when my car technically isn't insured.

[Edited by Ian Griffiths - 10/8/2003 1:22:38 AM]
Old 08 October 2003, 08:17 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Did they actually check? They may have just reported your last known position in their office database. Ask them to dial in for a live check, not the SMS. Then check that reported position.

GPS is accurate to 5m anywhere on the globe and you are rarely out of sight of at least 5 satellites. There might be a fault with your GPS receiving aerial which degrades the signal and then the unit will report last known position to the office. If badly installed, the GPS aerial may not be working 100%. There are a couple of reasons for this, namely bad location in the car, dodgy connection to the unit and crimped/broken wire.

It is certainly a concern and (IMHO) they should ensure that the service/goods they offer are upto the quality of those expected in the contract.

Old 08 October 2003, 08:44 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Write to them. Tell them you want your subscription back as there's no way of knowing if the service that you paid for was actually ever working after the engineer left.

Say you want this sorted out to everyone's satisfaction but if it isn't done properly you'll take legal advice.

This worked for me.