Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Post-PPP Mods ?

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2003, 09:05 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silly question maybe, but why are you getting a PPP if your subsequent intention is to fit further, warranty-voiding mods?

If you're planning on a complete decat, you probably will have to make other alterations to keep the car running safely. You may not need to get the ECU remapped, but at minimum you might have to mess about with the actuator restrictor to stop the turbo going a bit hyper.

As alluded up top, if you're already planning on further mods beyond the PPP, there's no point getting the PPP in the first place. You may as well just get a full decat aftermarket exhaust and a Tek2.

As Steve suggests, if you are going to get the PPP, you'd be best off doing something about the suspension and brakes before making any further modifications to the engine.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 10/6/2003 9:06:12 PM]
Old 06 October 2003, 08:58 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Question

I'm booking my MY02 wagon in for PPP tomorrow, but wondered what my options would be for mods after that.
Could I swap the up-pipe and down-pipe for decatted ones ? Would this make a considerable difference, and would the ECU need a remap ?

Old 06 October 2003, 09:00 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Sort your suspension and brakes out mate. That will give you far more than increasing BHP
Old 06 October 2003, 09:38 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Greasemonkey is dead right. If you're not that bothered about your warranty, what you will spend on the PPP will cover the TEK and a set of APs (keep your eyes open on here) and some eibachs. Otherwise, get the TEK, some decent pads, some eibach springs and have plenty of change to get the geometry set properly.

The brakes and suspension will feel as if you've added another 50bhp anyway
Old 06 October 2003, 10:39 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Like I said in my original post, I'm just looking at the options at this moment, and probably won't be doing any more upgrades till after the warranty has expired anyway. Brakes are certainly a consideration (though I hadn't really thought about suspension mods) but I was just wondering if anyone had done any further engine/power tinkering after a PPP fitment.

Old 06 October 2003, 10:42 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Such people are relatively rare, due to the very fact that those who fit it tend to want to keep their warranties.

Some of the PPP's involve the fitting of smaller bore turbo actuator restrictors, and under this circumstance fitting a full decat can result in transient overboost. Thus, as with any other mod, the importance of accurate boost, AFR and knock monitoring should not be underestimated.