Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Civic Type R owner soon to be Scooby owner!

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2003, 07:36 PM
Sy`
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all

As per the topic, im in the process of selling my 03 CTR to make way for a 2002 WRX. Hopefully recieving the deposit for my car tomorrow and looking at a few WR Blue WRX's this week.

Reason for the change?? well basically i miss not having a turbo and where as the iVTEC is a great peace of kit - modding it or getting anymore power is not easy.

So, im looking to get the car in the next few weeks and this will by my first ever scooby. I only drove one on Saturday for the first time and was well impressed. The normal WRX didnt really feel as fast as the Type R although i did have 3 passengers. Hence ill be looking to upgrade it asap.

What do you guys recomend?

Ive seen the PPP you can get and also to scoobysport EcuTek mapping. What is the best to go for?
The PPP seems to have more torque and the other has a higher bhp stated. Im looking to get the most out of it without the worry of it going bang. Hmm, my old RS turbo

Any advise you guys have when looking for a new car, any main things to check etc would be great. Also advise on what mods to do first.

Cheers

Sy
Old 06 October 2003, 11:36 PM
McRash
Scooby Regular

I am a lucky chap who has a CTR and a WRX with PPP. The CTR feels much tighter than the WRX and is more fun on a dry day on smooth roads - but it is hard work compared to even a std WRX.

I would recommend the PPP when you get the Scoob - bloody quick and totally effortless too - frightingly so at times as you don't realise how much speed you have acquired.

In the wet I think that the CTR is poor - its' grip in the dry is incredible but it completely disappears the minute it rains and becomes borderline dangerous. Not so the Scooby as even at the limit it is easy to control.

Have fun!
Old 07 October 2003, 01:01 AM
NewAgeWRX
Scooby Regular

I have a standard '02 WRX.

Only raced one CTR also MY02. No difference at all in dry, raced for a while and wasnt able to overtake (not enough road between corners) but could very slowly close gap. Really when you think about it this is a good result - the scooby has only ~20 BHP more, carries more weight and has AWD losses. Would be a different tale in anything other than perfect dry conditions, I think the scoob would leave the all the powerfull FWD cars far behind- Ive had a few and you just cannot use their power safley- not so in the scoob, they are little different in the dry/wet/damp/whatever (well standard ones like mine anyways, cant speak for some of the 400BHP+ monsters on here!).

Also like you say, the standard scoob is very 'tame' and at the bottom of its tuning potential whereas you have to go to a fair amount of effort to get alot more power from the hot FWD cars (CTR, 172, CUP) and then they are even more useless/dangerous on wet/damp roads.

Old 07 October 2003, 06:28 AM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

If you budget will stretch to it get a 03 WRX its even better
Old 07 October 2003, 09:11 AM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

I followed a fairly hard driven CTR in my '99 decat with Scoobysport Tek2; I was able to gain ground in all gears in a straight line, though I understand the new shape is a little heavier.

I'd personally prefer to have a new shape STI as the basis of something to mod; though if the 2.5 model is lurking round the corner I'd wait for that.....if I had some money, of course
Old 07 October 2003, 09:33 AM
CTRnutter
Scooby Regular

Gone from CTR '02 to WRX STI '03 PPP with HKS straight Through HKS BOV, and it is much faster about 2.5 0-60 quicker and after that it carries on to 120 with quite a lot of urgency, it isn't as much fun as the CTR in the dry i would almost say the CTR is better in the dry for handling,

but for an all round rocket the evo and the scoob are great the scoob will corner faster but not as tight, but the CTR is pants in the wet.

I think the CTR and the Scoob are ver different cars, and can't really be compared
Old 07 October 2003, 09:40 AM
T2000PPP
Scooby Regular

My MY00 PPP likes to play with CTRs.Welcome to the community Sy,im sure you wont regret your purchase.If your scoob is coming with warranty,id go ppp,purely for peece of mind.
Picture the smile on your face when you overtake your first CTR.
Old 07 October 2003, 06:03 PM
McRash
Scooby Regular

Wink

T2000PPP,

Only in the wet....in the dry you would not do much to scare a CTR - they have more grip on a decent road and are not so slow that they could be passed without a looooonnnggggg straight.

Any rain and I agree though - anyone in a CTR even trying to race a Scoob in the wet is a nutter. Even an M3 in the wet struggles vs a standard WRX.

Old 07 October 2003, 06:42 PM
NewAgeWRX
Scooby Regular

I agree with McRash,

Unless your scoob has some major power mods you arnt gonna totally blow away a CTR. I wasn't supprised that I couldnt get past the one I raced, as said - I could gain on him but only very slowly (prolly a cars length every 200 meters). Mind he was pushing it to the max, with gray puffs of smoke from the exhaust on gear change or rev limit, I dunno which :-)

As testament to how good they are I also came across an '02 Audi S3 and had about the same results (very slow gain) on streights but my car went through the corners better than the S3 deffo (gained alot on corners).

Of course some of the 22b, P1, STi guys will prolly laugh - and hats off to them, they have the kit to dust CTR's and me, But dont underestimate the new very hot hatches in the dry because you will be disappointed.

Old 07 October 2003, 07:17 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Talking

HMMMMMM...... I've just pxed my Scoob for an 03 CTR!! I've got a little fed up with it after 2 years and wanted somethig different and thats fairly(?) cheap-ish to run. Got a BMC induction to go on and have seen that they give a credible 14bhp extra ( seen many RR results from different RR's) so given that it only weighs 1204kg and with approx. 211Bhp through the fronts I guess it can be a little bit hairy in the wet?!
Hope I've made the right choice for a couple of years ( or else the missus will DEFO divorce me this time )
Old 07 October 2003, 07:38 PM
Sy`
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the replys lads.

Im acutally going to view a UK300 PPP on Thursday which im told has 13k and is in real nice condition. Ive only driven the basic 2002 WRX with 4 people on board so im still unaware of how the drive feels.
How good is the UK300 with PPP, im told its about 245bhp and 20% more torque. Does it feel much quicker?
Old 07 October 2003, 09:18 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

Those 4 people will of made a huge difference..!!! trust me..!!

Dan