Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impreza ownership has cost me another £500

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2003, 08:52 AM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a bid to keep the mileage off my prestine condition MY00 (and the avoid using it over winter) I have bought a 1992 Volvo 440 1.6Li without any power steering, air con, central locking, elec windows etc etc to use as my work horse to get me to work and back.
This is the first time in ages that I can park it anywhere in the staff car park and not give a **** if someone bangs my door or scratches it whilst walking by.
Kids can eat sweets in the back and climb on the seats, hey even the dog can go in it if he wants
For £500 I'd recommend a Mon-Fri car that you don't care about and the Impreza will feel like a race car come the weekend
Old 30 September 2003, 09:17 AM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

Been thinking of doing this my self, partly due to the fact that my milage has just doubled and I can't really afford the petrol.
What kind of money does it cost you to insure another car?
Cheers.
Ian.

[Edited by HELLOM8 - 9/30/2003 9:18:23 AM]
Old 30 September 2003, 09:23 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

All Hail the $hitbox - you know it makes sense
Old 30 September 2003, 10:30 AM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Yup - agreed - Get a 'crate' (mine's a Citroen ZX TD Volcane)...

At least it means you CAN park somewhere near the entrance at Sainsbury's, and don't have to worry about leaving it parked on the street if you go out at night or to visit friends that (heaven forbid) don't have off-road parking available.

All of that DIY junk gets thrown in the back and dragged off to the tip without a worry, your partner/kids can put feet on seats / eat sweets in it, close the door by any means possible (not just with a delicate touch of the black rubber at the bottom of the freshly Swissol'd windows)

Oh, mine costs about 400 per year to insure - and, the best bit, does about 45 MPG......
Old 30 September 2003, 10:42 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

lol i bought a 1.8 LX mondeo of my mate fo £700, L reg a year or so ago so i didnt have to use my RST for work, it cost £300 to insure 3rd party f & T.

parked it anywhere, left it unlocked, if any1 parked their car to close so i couldnt open door fully then i had my revenge mu ha ha ha bang bang went my door.

it had loadsa dents already so if any1 added a new 1 i wasnt bothered.

I would like to get another car like this but get so bored driving a normal car so quickly.

i stick to having plenty of fun on in the RB5

Old 30 September 2003, 10:47 AM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Costs me £198 TPF&T with 0 NCB as I had to start a new policy
Let's hope it survives a cold winter, as long as it lasts till next April (when the MOT runs out) I don't care.
Old 30 September 2003, 10:51 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I had a £500 1991 Saab 9000 box as a sidekick..

...but then I got bored and replaced it with a £8k 1999 9-3 Turbo LOL

two turbo cars now (what's wrong with me )

LOL
Old 30 September 2003, 11:36 AM
STiEight
Scooby Regular

Mines an anonymous '92 K Volkswagen Passat that can be literally dumped anywhere and you know it'll still be there when you get back.

Old 30 September 2003, 11:48 AM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

Wink

Any thing more than £150 to insure then I can't be asred.
Was looking at 87-89 Micra's, these are rock solid cars and tax is cheap as well. Best give the insurance company a ring.
Cheers.
Ian.
Old 30 September 2003, 12:03 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

After the P1 got trashed I bought a xantia TD for about £800, costs me another £300 to insure due to claim history. Good thing is now I have a choice as to whether to take the scooby or not - if its a dodgy area then I now take the xantia. Also means I'm getting about 500 miles to a tank for £40 and I occasionally use it for business trips, so I like to think I am getting my money back on the outlay too.

Bottom line is I would like to use the P1 more, but society has played its hand and forced me to protect my own interests. Sad, but such is life.
Old 30 September 2003, 12:35 PM
kentscooby2
Scooby Regular

Wink

how do you all do it?
INMHO the Scooby comes into its own in the winter!
The thought of slithering around in an old Volvo when the scoob is gathering dust in a garage...

Then again - I do so little mileage as a train commuter, I relish every excuse to do more than 10 miles a day, and don't have to struggle with the mpg issue so much.
Old 30 September 2003, 12:55 PM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

2nd car for yourself ??? I just take the wifes Puma if I think things are gonna get dodgy ! Get yourself a wife, might be cheaper than running 2 cars......errrr maybe not. Stick with the Volvo 440
Old 30 September 2003, 01:06 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

My Wife has a car but needs it for the School run, shopping etc. If I were to use that she would pinch my Subaru I think that the Volvo is the cheapest compromise.
I will use the Scoob on nice cold dry winter mornings don't you worry, it's just the wet slushy salt ridden roads I was hoping to avoid as the previous owner never even drove it in the wet let alone the snow.

Old 30 September 2003, 01:09 PM
kentscooby2
Scooby Regular

Took wife's car at weekend, leaving her with new Scoob - ulp!
Despite excellent capabilities of wagon - can't easily get my parents, 4 kids and me into it!

We all live in dreamland - empty roads and using Scoob performance.
Diesel automatic Volvo V70 just as quick on m-way to depths of Suffolk -and less stressful/less kids throwing up!
Old 30 September 2003, 01:50 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Cool

Erm, playing devils advocate but I bought the impreza for a 'one car does all' thing

I did some sums and worked out it wouldn't cost me any more to run a £500 diesel runaround for the daily grind to work, the shops etc and using the scoob for less miles per year, most of which are quality miles

Then I worked out that I could buy a £2500 reliable, comfortable diesel with toys, sell the scoob and get a 300 bhp/ton caterfield for absolute driving pleasure, for the same running costs as above.

If you're going the 2 car route, do it properly - I am next spring
Old 30 September 2003, 02:37 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Why not just get rid of the scoob altogether , drive a shed and live every weekend on diet of Charlie , Champagne and Dancers, plus have enough left over for 2 holidays a year and a fat cat pension...LOL
Old 30 September 2003, 03:44 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

The main reason behind driving the shed to work wasn't a monetary one, it was to preserve my cars condition. Hopefully I will be keeping it for a good few years and being one of the last classic shapes (the best one to have ) it might be sought after in a few years.
Hopefully in a few years time it will still look like it does today.

Old 30 September 2003, 03:52 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

hey even the dog can go in it if he wants
Doesn't the smell get a bit overpowering after a while?
Old 02 October 2003, 10:22 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Get a bike and weave through the traffic

Les
Old 02 October 2003, 10:43 AM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

Well i used my leggy every day last winter and it was brill

best winter car ever loved it in the snow

didn,t love the abs though unpluged a sensor no more abs drove 20 miles on fresh snow cruising allong 50 mph everyone else staying at home

drove round all the stuck cars trying to get up hills

as the sticker says

all we,ll drive spot on
Old 02 October 2003, 11:08 AM
blip
Scooby Regular

I think life is too short to be precious about things. I thought I'd be mega-paranoid about leaving my 03WRX wagon anywhere, or getting it mucky, etc. but I just decided to chill out about it and enjoy it all the time. None of us know what is around the corner (no pun intended) - today could be your last day on this big rock, so hell enjoy it while you can.

I also chose a scoob wagon as a do-it-all motor, and can't fault it from that respect. I bought it to enjoy it and that's what I'm going to do, sh*t happens whether you spend your life worrying about it or not.

I have been forced to drive around in sheds in the past and don't want to go there again through choice
Old 02 October 2003, 11:57 AM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

If it werent for my Civic I'd be gubbed.

My engine died a death and its been great having it as an option
Old 02 October 2003, 12:54 PM
Listy
Scooby Regular

I'm off to buy me a Sh!ter.......

Been contemplating this for a while. I bought my Scoob 4 months ago with only 26k on the clock (Not bad for a 98 Terzo) and awesome service record. Now 4 months on I've already done an additional 15k.....

Work Horse motorway munching Dent absorbing kid, dog and bike filled sh!tter for me then...

Old 02 October 2003, 01:12 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Get a bike and weave through the traffic
Been there done that!
The last two years were spent commuting to work & back on a CBR600F, had loads of near misses and decided to pack it in as watching my kids grow up was more important than saving 20 mins per day going to work by bike.
I'm going to be a born again biker when I'm in my early 50's
Old 02 October 2003, 01:33 PM
kentscooby2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Blip: spot-on!
Can't be doing with the "put it on a pedestal and polish it all weekend" approach. The best thing about Scoobs is their everyday userbility - esp the wagons.

OK - so that'll get me a load of abuse, but surely it's a bit like those that by an Enzo to park in an airconditioned garage as an investment and never drive it.
Old 02 October 2003, 03:02 PM
bartmanuk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

dont get a shed!!!

i have to drive a company van for work and i hate it,i cant wait to get home from work and think of an excuse to go for a drive in the scoob,especially when its wet...any excuse will do,LOL

also i find myself flat out in the van all the time cause it just dont go like the scoob, ive only had the scoob 3 months and ive been done for speeding twice in the bloody van

BM
Old 02 October 2003, 04:24 PM
Gary H2
Scooby Regular

I comute 90 miles a day and have been using a shed of a Citoren Xantia TD, the factory fit stereo is better than the scooby, has a CD changer and controls on the steering wheel, it's quieter and it's been running for the last 4 years on nothing but fuel, tyres and oil changes. (170,000 miles and still on the original wheel bearings). And a bike for sunny days, this gives me an extra half hour in bed. Then the Scooby for fun on the lanes!

The citroen costs less a year than a couple of major services on the Scooby.

As for the bike and the Scooby, well hell I've no kids yet.
Old 02 October 2003, 04:28 PM
Pockman
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've got a Rover 827 Vitesse, 90,000 miles, lined up at £800, insurance £170.

Hardly a style statement... but will handle much up of the daily commuting to work and back hopefully, leaving the scooby with lower millage.
Old 03 October 2003, 08:41 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Tomorrow is Scooby day
Should feel good after driving the shed all week.
Old 03 October 2003, 09:37 PM
StiShrek
Scooby Regular

Drive the bl**dy thing.

Why buy it in the first place if you are sooooo protective????????

Sometimes i cannot believe what i am reading on this forum.

Ppl buying a second car just to preserve the mileage or stop run-of-the-mill scratches..it beggars belief!!!!

You will end up going mad if you have such a paranoid attitude about putting a few extra miles on the clock or keeping it mint.

Running a piece of cr*p is no fun and still costs ££££££ when the thing breaks down.

For all those who have bought a second car for those very reasons then shame on you. Next you will be having a sex change and joining womens lib.

Case dismissed.

Quick Reply: Impreza ownership has cost me another £500