Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

the standered dump value

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2003, 07:17 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
right i have a bran new wrx, i know what dump valves do just would love to know how a recicleative one works? where does the pressure go? any way to release the pressure so you can hear it instead of getting a new one as this may cancel my warrenty?
Old 19 September 2003, 08:41 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The pressure gets recirculilated hence the name!!
Old 19 September 2003, 08:48 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

the other that makes the whoosh! is sending the gas to atmosphere. hence noise as you are aware.

both work equally well by all accounts - depends if you want whoosh or not. personally i do - hence Forge on my 93 wrx.

however as yours is brand new you really ought to be careful about the warranty issue of changing these things. boring <yawn> i know but more boring if they refuse to fix a kackered engine on the premise of 150 quid mod that you like the sound of!

there is no way that i am aware of, to release pressure in the manner that you are suggesting without replacing DV for different type. modifying the existing is not an option.

Weava

[Edited by mista weava - 9/19/2003 8:51:02 PM]
Old 19 September 2003, 09:11 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

With the recirculating valves, the excess air pressure, as the name suggests, is vented down a pipe where it is sent back into the inlet manifold immediately before the turbo.

Vent to atmosphere types, again, as the name suggests, release it straight into the engine bay, via an array of pots, trumpets and horns designed to amplify the "whoosh" to varying extents.

There is no performance gain from running a VTA valve. In fact, performance can suffer due to the fact that the recirculating air the engine and ECU are expecting isn't there, leading the car to run rich.

As Weava says, replacing the DV on a new car can have warranty issues, so at the end of day it's up to you whether you wish to take the risk. If you want to hear it a little more, replacing the standard air filter with an aftermarket panel like the Green or K&N items may help, but even they can have certain warranty issues!

If I were you I'd leave it standard, and be happy in the knowledge that you're not losing in the performance stakes, and still have your warranty.
Old 20 September 2003, 11:25 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sensible advice.

Les