Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotten Scoob

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2003, 08:16 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My beloved MY99 - and it's rotting away! Unbelievable. Took her in to have the front bumper sprayed to get rid of the stone chips and found the bumper support bracket was barely in one piece. It was completely rotten at both ends. I'm amazed the bumper hadn't fallen off.

I'm now chasing Subaru to see if this is a bodywork warranty issue. Anyone else had this problem? My local dealer's paint shop and parts departments both admitted they'd had to replace a few brackets of relatively new cars.

I'm still in shock - I can't believe part of my lovingly cherished Scoob has disintegrated in just over four years.
Old 11 September 2003, 08:19 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

The support beam is only a very thin piece of metal and costs about £35-40 brand new.. So dont worry to much.

Mine however has not one bit of rust, but that because it spent 8 years of its life in japan.

Dan
Old 11 September 2003, 08:43 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

Fair point Dan, but it still shouldn't disintegrate like that. Which is why I wondered if anyone else had suffered the same way and pursued Subaru under warranty.

The price is just under £50 inc VAT, but for those like me who are DIY-challenged, it would probably be another £50+ to have it fitted. So suddenly it's three figures and perhaps worth chasing under warranty - even if only as a matter of principle!
Old 11 September 2003, 08:57 PM
i8gtmf
Scooby Regular

I'm currently trying to sort out with Subaru a rust problem on my MY00 it is a late classic registered Feb 2001 and has a rust blister forming next to the drivers side wing mirror about the size of a finger nail, only just queryed this with them so i'm not sure what they are going to do about it yet ,I'm not looking forward to having to pay for the repair myself.
Dave
Old 11 September 2003, 11:43 PM
pele
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've got the same problem on my MY98, it makes a really irritating screeching noise everytime I go over a bump, which living down a bumpy road is annoying! I didn't know you could buy the front panel, so I'm going to have to get it done as I have no warranty - the previous owner didn't do the bodywork services