ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2003, 03:24 PM
Pockman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hya,

Take Delivery of a new Scooby WRX (WR blue with Prodrive Gold alloys) on Monday and wanted to ask a few questions.

I used to have a Scooby about 5 years ago, a company car, but since this will be mine, I really need to look after it 110%.

1) Ref Security, it comes with a CAT1 alarm, I've bought a Diskloc steering lock and am getting a Diplok gear shift lock fitted in a week or so. I have a reasonable house alarm, covering the garage as well, as well as night-time security courtesy of Mr Miroku 12-bore monitoring...

Is there anything else I should be doing ref Security? I haven't got a tracker as I really wouldn't want it back if it was knicked and abused.

2) I'm planning to run it on RON 97 fuel but wanted to ask if it makes that much difference between RON95 and RON97 in real usage?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 27 August 2003, 03:38 PM
( R6 CDW )
Scooby Regular

Hi Chris,

Sounds like the car is in good hands, if it's garaged up, and the garage is bugged, then your as safe as you can be!.

The fuel thing!, if it was a import, you would need opitmax+octane booster or equivelant.

If its a uk model, you "COULD" run it on a lower grade fuel, if the car had upgrades ie: ppp, then higher grade fuel would be needed.
chris
Old 27 August 2003, 03:46 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the clan

Do have a look at a tracker. Some insurance companies insist on them, and you may find that your quote comes down significantly if you do fit one.

Don't be paranoid, but do be careful. Think about where you're leaving it etc.

Most of all, enjoy the car. Take a while to get used to it and that way you'll not wrap it around a tree... The 03s are pretty communicative at the limit so it'd take effort to get one badly out of shape

Cheers,
Nick
PS - don't lift off in a high speed corner unless you're ready for oversteer.
Old 27 August 2003, 04:03 PM
Pockman
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback and welcome, yes I'll be taking it steady and take time to learn how it responds. The fact it's brand new will hopefully de-incentivise me to be really silly in it anyway.

Ref the tracker, Although Direct line (who I normally use) insisted on a tracker, Norwich Union didn't and it only made £50 difference on the premium (which I was suprised at).

Cheers,

Chris.
Old 27 August 2003, 05:08 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

I found that with my ins comp, only going to knock £13.00 off for getting tracker! Not much incentive there then.
dave

[Edited by misty - 8/27/2003 5:09:00 PM]
Old 27 August 2003, 05:24 PM
welshwolf
Scooby Regular

Hi Chris,
I also pick mine up on monday, first scoob for me though.
I also looked into the installation of a tracker, but have since changed my mind due to the following.
1. Some insurance companies insist some don't (I have changed to LV as they were cheepest by far and from reading some of the posts here they are not that bad a company). Additional to this L/V don't require and gave no further discount if one was.
2. Fitting costs of a tracker is approx £481 that includes subscription for the first year, Suburu dealer) then i think its about £100 - £150 per year there after. After researching several other insurance companies i found that a tracker only reduced my premium by £20 - £30 therefore couldn't realy justify the outlay.
3. I have also come to the conclusion that if My car is stolen do I realy want it back?? As this device appears to be more of a detection method than prevention.

Of course all of the above is my personal opinion.
P.S. September 1st can't come quick enough.
Baza.