ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Experience of Jap STI8?

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2003, 10:41 AM
MrFlibble
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm currently awaiting delivery of a Japanese spec STI8 (just STI, not Spec C). Has anyone any experience of these cars they would like to share?
Old 27 August 2003, 02:00 PM
AK47
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

well i've had one since April and it's my first Subaru so i can't give opinions based on predecessors. but the jap spec STi8 is really something else and is quite truly amaaaaaazing. there'll be no need to mention the volcan death grip on road handling, there'll be no need to mention those fantasic notes it hits when fully pummeling the accelerator in 3rd and 4th gears from just a standard STi exhaust, they'll be no need to mention all those stares you get from people admiring your car (90% of them are admiring), there'll be no need to mention the increased chance in pulling a seriously "GORGEOUS" babe and the list goes on, but hey this goes with the territory

Seriously i've had a few (quite a few) rattles and hums around the place but these come and go. but rattle aside, in standard guise it has 272bhp and has the dccd (not that I use it) but there are also all kinds of goodies you don't get with the UK spec tooooo many to name! there's also a hand held flare under the glove box that comes very handy if you get stranded on a tropical island...or is this standard in the UK model too ?

[Edited by AK47 - 8/27/2003 2:03:44 PM]
Old 27 August 2003, 03:38 PM
churchwa
Scooby Regular

The current Jap car is the STi10 and the Uk is the 9. So the Sti8 you reffer to will be the bug eye (don't Flame me, Mike Wood gave me a talking to when i asked about something for the STi8 and he set me straight.)
Old 27 August 2003, 04:27 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well, I know which car you are talking about, and if you have the DCCD-A version on the way be prepared for some fun times

Simply awesome handling, and 13:1 rack is nice and quick It is only a smidge slower than a Spec C most of the time, and you can get some wicked power without much effort (if you need any more!). The response of the engine is also a revelation if you are used to the older scoobies (no offense intended).

Just watch out for the way the front diff can lock up early on, esp. out of tight corners/T junctions etc (esp. when damp/wet). Once used to it it can be a real weapon, but early on some of the tugs can be disconcerting to some. Fuel can be a bit of a worry, so a map for UK fuel may be a good idea...

Enjoy!
Old 27 August 2003, 04:56 PM
MrFlibble
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. Can't wait! Any observations on the mapping/fuel/power increase front? Finally, is it true that the Impreza 'sound' has been lost? I tried the Spec C, but it was so mind blowing that I didn't give it much thought in the brief time avaliable!
Old 28 August 2003, 08:43 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Lees burble, more efficient, drier sound sound imho - i guess rip/roar could be accurate-ish. At higher rpm there is little doubt about the piston layout

You won't lok back after driving it tho i reckon...and an exhaust can free up some audio if need be

Any of the EcuTek peeps can map for UK fuel, prolly free some horsies just with that (we got 30ps+ out of a JDM on the fuel here with just a bit of tuning!).