ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

whats happened ?

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2003, 12:45 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Car: MY02 WRX (standard except STI7 backbox)

Last week the speedo was intimitently not working. Yesterday on my journey home it stopped all together. After a few miles the orange light (shaped like an engine) came on on the dash. I didn't have time to look at it last night and hoped it would start working again in the morning. Came to work this morning, no speedo and orange light on. Also as soon as the revs hit 5000rpm it was like the rev limiter was cutting in (obviously didn't try that again as it scared the cr@p out of me). I have just been down to the car, pulled the speedo plug a part on top of the gearbox and put it back together again. Went for a drive, speedo now works, but orange light was still on. I thought i will give it a few spirited miles so that the ecu rewrites/corrects itself and see what happens. After about 6-7 miles the car will now hit the redline and seems to run fine, i then tried it from a junction, pulling away in first it cut at 5000rpm as before but was then fine in all other gears (didn't try reverse ). The orange light is still showing.

Any ideas? I've tried the turn the ignition on/off 5 times routine to "apparently" reset the ecu, which makes bugger all difference. Can i reset the ecu without taking it to the dealer, just worried that they will say it is my fault for doing 100+ miles with the speedo not working and the light on. If i could reset the ecu at least it wouldn't show the log of errors when the speedo wasn't working so i could play dumb at the dealers.
Old 20 August 2003, 12:51 PM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

dont know why the light is still on, you will have to put the two plugs toghether under the dash to get the fault code.

As for it hitting the limiter at low revs it is because of the speedo not working, the car goes into a safe mode apparently.

Maybe worth checking the connector out, could be that there is still a fault with the speedo?

[Edited by Triple X - 8/20/2003 12:55:06 PM]
Old 20 August 2003, 12:55 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Now that the speedo is working again why would it hit the safety rev limit in first, but be fine in the other gears (tested 2nd, 3rd & 4th)

edited to say your edited add on just suggested an answer to this.

[Edited by austen_wrx - 8/20/2003 12:56:16 PM]
Old 20 August 2003, 02:16 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Question

Why didn't you take it to a dealer? Orange light is the Check Engine light. This could be related to the speedo problem, but then again it may indicate something more serious. You car is an MY02 so it's still under warranty - get it to a dealer.

Chris
Old 20 August 2003, 02:20 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

They were shut by the time i got home last night, and i'm in work for 7am so not possible at such short notice.