Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do peeps in front speed up / drive like nutters???

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2003, 08:49 AM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Gently making my way to work this morning (loads of time so no rush) and I catch a C class Merc up thats stuck behind a lorry. Its an A road, single lane with loads of straights but some dangerous areas that are well marked with double white lines.
Now as I not in a rush, I hang back some distance from the Merc (presuming he hasn't spotted me yet)and he seems to have no intention of passing the lorry (40 MPH in a 60 b4 u start)so I slowly move up knowing there's a straight in 1/4 mile or so.
The Merc driver now spots me and wakes up
He starts to stick the car out onto the wrong side of the road to "look" if its clear then proceeds to pull out just before double white lines start.
After travelling some distance over the whites he veers back in front of the lorry just as a van travelling the oposite direction appears with its brakes on and the drivers face / hand signals telling the story.
30 seconds later I'm on the straight so I pull out and pass the lorry and soon reel in the Merc.
He again looks in his mirror and begins to floor it, weaving over the white line to prevent me passing (not that I intended to).
I've had this happen before and can't understand their mentality.
Its obvious the car behind is faster but why do they automatically think your out to pass them ???
Anybody else experienced this type of behaviour ?

Chris

Old 20 August 2003, 08:53 AM
catalunya199
Scooby Regular

happens to me all the time soon as someone sees a subaru they have have to pick up about 30 mph straight away
Old 20 August 2003, 08:55 AM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chris, i wonder if its anything to do with you wearing that Viking helmet on the way to work!!
Old 20 August 2003, 08:58 AM
GaryScoobNCBR
Scooby Regular

I think this can only be down to 1 thing.

Theres alot of idiots in this world.
Old 20 August 2003, 08:58 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
It's bad as they always do it in the worst situations. On a recent drive in Spain a BMW 325 diesel driver decided to overtake on a blind bend in his maniac efforts to "beat" an Impreza (I wasn't racing just making progress and had overtaken him up a hill, which he didn't like). I always leave a large gap between me and the vehicle in front and as soon as I realised what he was upto floored it and left him sat on the wrong side of the road with nothing to overtake. At the next straight I indicated right and let him get on to his appointment with the grim reaper.
Old 20 August 2003, 09:01 AM
Turboteeth
Scooby Regular

It's because Impreza drivers have a habit of tailing people which p1sses people off
Old 20 August 2003, 09:06 AM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

Morning Chris!

Yesterday i was travelling up Cuerdale lane taking it pretty easy as to let the oil get up to temp. I got to the brewery and noticed a guy on a motorbike coming up pretty quick, lights ablaze. Anyhow i kept to the speed i was going and the guy on the bike decided to overtake me depsite a van coming the otherway! I had to slam on to give the motorbike room to swerve back into our lane to avoid becoming a bug splatter on the front of the van! As he had to swerve in he had to use all the room on the brewery layby so it was a stroke of luck there were no trucks in it. I gave him all the relevant hand signals etc..
Its nuts the extent that some people go to to try and prove a point, but he must of had to of changed his knickers for sure!

Trending Topics

Old 20 August 2003, 09:13 AM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Wink

Andy,
You've a very vivid imagination - I'll help you out and call the men in the white coats

Tripple,
I'd have kept going just to see the outcome

Chris
Old 20 August 2003, 09:20 AM
D.J.
Scooby Newbie

How about the drivers that don't look in their mirrors and try and pull into the side of your car while your passing them.
Old 20 August 2003, 09:26 AM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

The outcome would have been 1 dead man and a damaged front end of my scoob. I couldnt live with damaging the scoob!
Old 20 August 2003, 09:48 AM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

well, if it gets the people round my way driving at more than 40 in the 60 zones, I'm a happy bunny!
Old 20 August 2003, 09:49 AM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Old 20 August 2003, 09:53 AM
Franko
Scooby Regular

Some people want a subaru but dont have one.. when they see one behind em they speed up whilst daydreaming about having one..
Others think their mercs.. bmw's honda's etc etc are the buis and when they see a scooby they just wana test to see how much difference between the too cars there is..
Happens to me ALL the time.. at first i used to take em on and leave em standing.. now i've learned to just ignore em and they calm down after burning a bit of fuel.
Old 20 August 2003, 10:42 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Usual **** happened to me on the way to work (normally every other day) dual carriageway going from 50 to 70. Guy in front moves into the right hand lane as he see me coming up behind him. He overtakes a car and then proceeds to stay in that lane, nothing in front of him. I wait a wee while, he's still being a pr1ck so I undertake. When will the fecking idiots learn?

I wish I could get some James Bond type wheel shredders and destroy the side of his car as I go past, maybe then he might wake up.
Old 20 August 2003, 10:46 AM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

Talking

Old 20 August 2003, 11:16 AM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
brill John
Old 20 August 2003, 11:37 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Had the same thing on holiday in Scotland a couple of years ago. I'd been following a 328i at about 40 for a couple of miles on windy roads, and came to a dead straight section - slight uphill for about half a mile. I floored it and pulled out to overtake, and he floored it too. Obviously a 328 isn't that slow, and my progress past him wasn't as quick as it would have been if he'd stayed at 40. We're both doing a good 80ish pretty much side by side, and somebody is now coming down the hill towards us. I'm assuming Beemer-bloke (who's early 60's BTW) is going to lift off to prevent an accident. No. He keeps his foot planted. I don't want to risk hitting the brakes and have him doing the same, and there's a layby on the right hand side of the road, so I had to pull across the oncoming car and do an emergency stop in the layby on the wrong side of the road. 2 minutes later and I caught Beemer-bloke doing 40 again, and managed to get past him without him trying to kill me. Shocking behaviour.
Old 20 August 2003, 11:52 AM
Aintbroke dontfix
Scooby Regular

Red face

What annoys me, is when you are stuck behind a lorry with 5 cars behind so you are stuck, and resign to the fact to stay put. Then idiot (No particular car make) screams up behind you, then sits 2 inches from your bumper to try and make you go faster! Then when you do get the opportunity to get past they tail you and try and race. I'm sorry but, just because I have an impreza, I am not in race mode 100% of the time, I can't afford the petrol. I'm now thinking of getting a flamer kit just to set the fxxkers on fire.
Old 20 August 2003, 11:58 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Mungo- I'd have got in front of that tw*t in the 328 and then done 30- every time he tried to pass I'd have nailed it. Childish but sound like that to55er needed to be taught a lesson.
Old 20 August 2003, 12:07 PM
scoobymoo
Scooby Regular

Location: was the drivers seat of Richard Burns's P1 now in a boxster S
Angry

Similiar thing happened to me last year (Morning of the england brazil game) and I had just popped out to get a mcdonalds breakfast and to pick up a couple of workmates who wanted to watch the game at my house. Was running a bit late so making progress came up behind a BMW X5 dawdling along at 30 in a 60. So I indicate to overtake and he immediately puts his foot down he had a couple of car lengths on me and those things can shift so by the time I drew level we were doing 80+ and approaching a 90 degree bend that I had hoped to be well back in before. Luckily the road is quite wide and the area around is very flat so you can see round the bend that nothing is coming so I kept my foot in, thinking there is no way he can make the corner at this type of speed. Thankfully he backed off and I took the corner at well over 90 (fastest I have ever been round that bend before or since). My two passengers had never been in the scoob before and could not believe I had made the corner, they both thought they were gonna die,neither of them wanted their mcdonalds breakfast after that.

[Edited by scoobymoo - 8/20/2003 12:08:10 PM]
Old 20 August 2003, 12:53 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Angry

I had one yesterday - two roundabout in V quick succession on a dual carriageway. The 'driver' of the ford cougar in front decides (I'm assuming he'd not seen me) to use both lanes across BOTH roundabout, making as straight a line as possible. As I'm on his rear quarter at the second roundabout, I brake and drop behind (rather than end of with a damaged front wing !)

As we come off the second roundabout, I give a sharp (but short) toot - 'I'm here !!!'

He takes this as 'I want to come past' and drives at 40 (its a 50 limit) in the outside lane for the next half mile .........

I just dropped back and let him get on with it, until I turned off - WHAT AN **** !
Old 20 August 2003, 12:58 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

My favourite on two lane light controlled junctions. When the *** in the "faster car" comes along side, look him in the eye to get his attention, look forward inching all the time, soon as lights change indicate left and move off slowly. Old nobber will have done a burnout by now in his rush to beat you.
Old 20 August 2003, 01:02 PM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

Why people do that is beyond me, its similar to when you catch up to a car and follow it through double whites and the moment you go and pull out to pass they accelerate just to pi$$ you off, but being in a scooby you can normaly out gun them. The other week I caught up to a stream of traffic behind a wagon, when we came to a straight ther was a gap half way down, so waiting a couple of secs for any one to overtake, I booted it to the gap, but as soon as I got along side the car with a gap in front he boots it so I had to force my way into the gap then, he was horns blazing. Why do they do this!!! It could quite easily cause an accident. People just think you shouldn't overtake full stop.

[Edited by Andy S. - 8/20/2003 1:05:12 PM]
Old 20 August 2003, 01:21 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Weirdest one I had was along my favourite country lane. I always like a bit of a blast along there so I proceeded to and then came up behind a Nissan Primara.....I kept a good distance, he was doing about 55mph so making progress. I always leave a large gap to the car in front as I like to have lots of time to react to changing situations, so I was by no means "up his ****"...55mph isn't bad for that lane so I wasn't feeling the need to overtake as there's lots of blind bends.

I continued behind him for about a minute when he suddenly starts taking the racing line everywhere!! By this, I mean driving on the wrong side of the road going around blind bends!! He was clearly trying to loose me (why?!) and had increased his speed, so I thought it only polite to maintain my current distance and drive on the correct side of the road

Muppet.
Old 20 August 2003, 01:24 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Some of the stories here are really worrying.

If you start overtaking somene, and they then decide to accelerate in order to block you, then, unless you have sufficient power and space to complete the overtake safely despite the idiot, then what is wrong with backing off and dropping in behind the idiot?

It sounds like some of these incidents have involved more testosterone than sense on the part of the overtaking drivers.

Fair enough, the cars being overtaken in these incidents are being inconsiderate and dangerous in their actions, but it's the responsibility of the driver who is overtaking to do it safely, after all, assuming single carriageway, the overtaking driver is the one who has decided to risk borrowing the oncoming traffic's lane.

Just an observation.
Old 20 August 2003, 01:32 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
The Highway Code states that if someone goes to overtake you, you should not accelerate and if necessary slow down to give them room to complete their manouvre.

Seems that the Highway Code is only read to pass the test then forgotten and ignored from then on
Old 20 August 2003, 01:32 PM
Turboteeth
Scooby Regular

Good point. The answer is the mentality of the Subaru drivers and their "Got to overtake" mentality.

Hence why half this forum have had a serious accident at one point or another
Old 20 August 2003, 01:33 PM
NACRO
BANNED

I agree Moray- just pull back in if you can. Not always possible when a group of people take exception to you overtaking though.
Old 20 August 2003, 01:40 PM
sarahbee
Scooby Regular

That happened to me aswell this morning Marc on the way to work. I undertook a car on the dualer as he wasn't going to move over to let me overtake and then i went back into the right hand lane to over take a bus. The car I just overtook speeded up and was up my ar*e thinking he was ace - so i just put the foot down and pulled away and he couldn't catch me.
What an idiot - he must of felt theratened by a female driver in a scoob overtaking him!!!!
Old 20 August 2003, 01:51 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Pulling back in is all well and good, but I've also had the situation where when you brake or lift off to do so, so does the tool that you're trying to overtake, trying to keep you on the wrong side of the road. I'm a pretty patient person, but on a long journey in Scotland, why should I have to drive 50 miles at 40 mph instead of 60 because Mr BMW doesn't want to be passed? I don't mind following someone who's making decent progress. It really wasn't a case of me catching him and trying to bustle past immediately regardless. As Puff pointed out, the Highway Code points out that making an overtaking manouevre safe is the duty of both parties. If you've ever driven in South Africa, you'll know what a pleasure this can be - you catch someone up, they'll indicate left and pull across to the hard shoulder (on a main road) to left you through, and you then acknowledge with a flash of the hazards when past. Not sure if it's in their Highway Code, but everyone does it and it works. No road-rage involved, no hold-ups behind slower traffic. I was doing about 90, and pulled over for people going quicker. I felt no need to be an ar$e. It's a cultural thing that drivers in the UK have got a real problem with.

Quick Reply: Why do peeps in front speed up / drive like nutters???