Gulp.....

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2000, 10:29 AM
a.n. novice
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Dear all,

When I bought my P reg Scoobie a key decider for me was that it would be the most exciting car that would also be able to carry my windsurfers. I bought the 5 door for all my kit. As I'm sure you're all aware, the P reg wagon doesn't have the roof bars fitted as standard.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I have had quotes to have the bars fitted by a reputable dealer from £300 - £500. Having had a board come off my roof before on the motorway due to roof rack malfunction I'm keen to get the right kit, but this does seem a bit steep....!!!

Does anyone know of a cheaper way of getting the bars fitted? At the moment I'm travelling in a mate's F reg golf which won't go over 55 with the boards on the roof and its driving me insane!!
Old 08 May 2000, 02:20 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking

Right then!!

All the fittings for the Roof bars are there already, as they were an optional extra, albeit pricey!!

The long black roof trims slide off to find bolt holes taped off, but you also need to drop the headlining out to fit the reinforcment plates under the roof.

So its quite big job really for the Dealer as you're talking a couple of hours labour time at least.

Possibly get the bars off a scrapper if you're VERY lucky........and a bit of DIY??

Hope this helps.
Old 08 May 2000, 04:16 PM
ianlove
Scooby Regular

well speaking as a long time user of roof bars for carrying hang gliders I would be looking at the Thule system(try Halfords). If you can find them it is surely a much simpler solution.
ian
Old 08 May 2000, 04:28 PM
ianlove
Scooby Regular

well speaking as a long time user of roof bars for carrying hang gliders I would be looking at the Thule system(try Halfords). If you can find them it is surely a much simpler solution.
ian
Old 09 May 2000, 12:53 AM
millband
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've got a UK 5-door with the bars already fitted. I asked around before buying the car, and was told by Robinsons of Rochdale that rails would be about £250+VAT.

I'm using Halfords cross-bars to carry Kayaks on my car. Nice and secure (cleared 110mph without ejecting anything ), and longer and cheaper than the Thule quick-fit bars. I think they're actually just re-badged versions of the old model Thule bars, as the locks are interchangeable.

The only downside is that as the rails are set so far back on the roof the boats end-up hanging over at the rear, and you have to be very careful when opening the tailgate so you don't scratch the top spoiler.

I actually think that with hindsight a 4-door may have been better, as at least you could open the boot with a load on, and plain roofbars could fit further forward. Still, the 5-door has a much better "lifestyle" image!!

Steve
Old 09 May 2000, 02:20 AM
swa
Scooby Regular

Mr Novice,

Nice choice of WS wagon! I am lucky enough to have the luxury of a 2nd vehicle (a lwb transit for my WS kit) so I don't get the salty air or water near my 5dr Sub.

You might consider getting a boot tray to keep the salt water from the spare wheel bay?
Old 09 May 2000, 08:13 AM
a.n. novice
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for your responses everyone.

Ianlove

I've got the Thule bars, but they worry me because they have to be positioned quite close together inorder to be aligned properly. Also the trim they attach to doesn't look the most solid bit of car.

How do you balance your handglider, and what speeds do you do with it on the roof?

Swa

I have a 285 Bee and my mate a 289 Bee (the arly planer), which together is quite a lot of volume.
Old 09 May 2000, 08:43 AM
ianlove
Scooby Regular

well the trick accessory is a ladder! A glider sits securely, it helps to tie the front and the back, and speeds of 100 mph+
are ok. This is on the way to the Alps of course. Did have one incredulous German who just had to sit behind the wheel as he could not believe that we could possibly see out of the windscreen with 3 gliders on board.

ian
Old 09 May 2000, 01:03 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Oh, and I use the Subaru rubber tray effort in the boot - £35+VAT and it works very well at keeping the mess in one place, and also seems quite "grippy" so it stops stuff careering around in the boot.