Sponsored by:

sold scoob, blown 3 days later

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2003, 02:53 PM
black knight
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just for some suggestions.

sold my scoob privately. buyer calls up 3 days later and said big ends gone and asks me to contribute to cost of repairs. is this reasonable?

before anyone goes on, here's the rundown:

sold car giving advice not ot rev for long at high speeds, using NF etc etc re safeguarding the car's engine.

threw in all the scooby parts i have and even NF, snooper meaning nothing was taken off the car as i wanted the buyer to enjoy. he is now accusing me of giving him all the goodies coz i knew of the problem.

passed him all the receipts inc last service in may 03 totalling £1800 and even ask him to call the garage to verify.

i love that car to bits and wouldnt have sold it if i knew he's gonna blow it in 3 days. he's saying i'm unreasonable for not contributing but i helped in making enquiries in the repair costs from garages i know of. he added that he would contribute if he was the seller (doubtful look)

but my point is when we went out for the test drive, i took the drove the car quite hard to show him the performance and it was ok. i have tracked the car for the 18months i had it and it was ok.

told him that onus was on him to get AA to inspect but no one will ever be able to tell when a big ends going to go or not for certain.

was i unreasonable in not contributing?
Old 11 August 2003, 02:55 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Cavet Emptor (if thats how you spell it)

If you can put your hand on you heart and say you had no idea this mite happen then its just bad luck.
Old 11 August 2003, 02:56 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

"Sold as seen"
Old 11 August 2003, 02:57 PM
MAC76
Scooby Regular

I dont think so, if in your mind the car was sound when you sold it i dont think you should contribute!
Seems to me you gave him plenty of opertunity (spelling?) to get the car checked out!
Besides you dont know how he has driven it since you sold it! Did he warm it up and down etc etc??
Hope that eases your mind a bit
MAC
Old 11 August 2003, 03:01 PM
TURBORAY
Scooby Regular

sorry to hear this kwan !!
we all know how much you loved that car ,as said by others you don't know how this person has driven the car .

ray.....
Old 11 August 2003, 03:02 PM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Just plain bad luck by the sounds of it..

As said above..Sold as seen, so, out of your hands.

Nothing to say he's not been racing it about the place since he picked it up either.

If it were me, i wouldn't contribute.
Old 11 August 2003, 03:02 PM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have no legal obligation to contribute anything towards the cost of the repairs unles you signed and dated a waranty form or something similar.

I sold a R5 GT turbo that had 115K miles on it. I told the kid buying it to make sure he put on the manual fan if he was stuck in traffic. Two days later I get a phone call from him saying the engine temp was going up and down then the engine blew.

"Did you pull the manual fan switch?", I asked.

"What manual fan switch" he replied.

Muppet.

I know this is not the same situation as yours but he was the owner and the operator of the car at the time it went, the problem is his and alone. Harsh but true.
Old 11 August 2003, 03:05 PM
Krade
Scooby Regular

Sold as seen as far as Im concerned.
Old 11 August 2003, 03:08 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

interesting discussion as I believe the guy who bought it was on here complaining the other day and got the opposite replies from folks that the seller should pay etc etc. However I think the law is pretty plain in that its sold as seen and buyer beware, there is no way you could have known the big end would go, is there ?
Old 11 August 2003, 03:12 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Sold as seen and no contribution to his costs.

Perhaps it should be the seller who asks the buyer to sign a form stating no come back. If he'd wanted warranty he should have bought a car from a dealer and paid way over the odds.

You pay your money........etc.

Dan
Old 11 August 2003, 03:15 PM
Treacle
Scooby Regular

Keep your chin up . It's really unfortunate for the guy who's bought your car, and if you knew there was a problem then shame on you . But if , as you say you knew nothing of the impending problem then there's nothing more that you can do . You've already been very reasonable in helping to source parts . It's just one of those things that happens in life .
Treacle
Old 11 August 2003, 03:19 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
He pays for it end of story. You have no obligation whatsoever- just like I said on the last thread!

For all you know he went round the corner filled up on supermarket 95 RON and spent the weekend doing full bore starts and bouncing off the rev limiter. Tell him to take a running jump- nicely. Shame as you say that it had to end this way but not as much of a shame as it would be if you still owned it.
Old 11 August 2003, 03:32 PM
esmerelda9920750
Scooby Regular

if when you sold the car you put 'sold as seen' on the receipt he cannot come back through court etc for repairs after he purchased the car

you are therefore not liable for repairs after he had taken possession of the vehicle
Old 11 August 2003, 03:37 PM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

Its a terrible feeling I'm sure, but if you had say part exed the car would you have expected the dealer to come back? No.

I feel for the guy, but if you don't have a car chaecked out before you buy, or if you buy a car privately (i.e. without warranty) this is an extreme example of the risk you take.

As people have said above, you don't know the full story - i.e. how the car was treated and what may have contributed to the engine's demise.

Basically, although it shounds quite harsh, but if you were not aware of the problem when you sold it, then there is not even a moral obligation to help financially.

Old 11 August 2003, 03:56 PM
black knight
Scooby Regular

in addition, it does have a close deck block from the previous owner. it's diificult to digest that after 18mths of abuse from me (with tender loving service n maintenance), 3 days in the buyers arms and it goes!

he says that i'm unreasonable from our phone conversation today and hinting that i knew of the problems with the car by giving him all the bits on the car and the spares. hey, when my scoob was sold, i dont have another one and not bothered with selling them separately. driving the clk is depressing enuff (slow) and cant bear thinking of the scoob every second.

anyway, glad to know that i'm not being unreasonable. thans again for the reassurances.
Old 11 August 2003, 04:03 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

interesting discussion as I believe the guy who bought it was on here complaining the other day and got the opposite replies from folks that the seller should pay etc etc.

camk,

Can you point to the thread?
Old 11 August 2003, 04:07 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

I think that was a different car.
Old 11 August 2003, 04:14 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

I sold an Aprilia Motorbike a few years ago, being a highly strung tuned two stroke I told the guy it wasn't suitable for motorways which his daily commute involved.

He blew the engine up shortly later and him and his mother took me to court. Basically, 'Caveat Emptor' applies -buyer beware- that's the law so it pretty much doesn't matter what the circumstances are, a private sale has no comebacks. I was even offered by the Judge to have a full claim for all my costs and expenses incurred in going to court missing work etc. I declined as I felt bad for the guy!!

HTH
Nito
Old 11 August 2003, 04:19 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Tough ******* for the buyer - damn good luck for the buyer. I bought an MY93 WRX from Manchester and was aware that had it have blown up on the M1 on the way home then thats the risk I was taking as was fully aware of the risks. Touch wood its been spot on (so far). You pays your money and takes the risk.

Old 11 August 2003, 04:21 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Can I just ask you what you meant by this bit though?:

"sold car giving advice not ot rev for long at high speeds"

These are high revving cars so does that rule out a long motorway jaunt???
Old 11 August 2003, 04:21 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Can't edit my first post, it should have said:

Tough ******* for the buyer - damn good luck for the seller. I bought an MY93 WRX from Manchester and was aware that had it have blown up on the M1 on the way home then thats the risk I was taking as was fully aware of the risks. Touch wood its been spot on (so far). You pays your money and takes the risk.
Old 11 August 2003, 04:24 PM
black knight
Scooby Regular

if it wasnt the distance i travel to work and a company clk i wouldnt have sold the car.

just feel bad that buyer is hinting that i sold the car coz it's knackered. i had new lightened flywheel and clutch put in may for trax 2003! but had to decide btw the scoob and the co car. financial sense prevailed in the end.

i have bought a fiat bravo 2 yrs ago where seller said no accidents, believed it and guess what? it was a Cat C case and i duly had to spend extra to get it road worthy for my other half.

quite interested in reading the thread where ppl saying the seller should pay to compare and contrast my situation. any ideas anyone?
Old 11 August 2003, 04:25 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

the way i see it is that, the boot could easily have been on the other foot.

for example you could have agreed the sale, he could have put a deposit down on the motor. in the mean time between the sale and him picking the motor up, the big end could have gone. resulting in you posting thread along lines of "sold scoob, big end blew just before buyer collection" or something similar.

hard luck - but you should not pay for this unfortunate prediciment that he (the buyer) now finds himself in.

Weava
Old 11 August 2003, 04:37 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Camk- Are'nt you talking about the guy who bought his from a dealer with a warranty and managed something like 27miles?

If you are then there are about as many similarities in that story to this as there are in Lisa Riley and Elle Mcpherson.

If not then can you remember which one it was just to back your wild statement up?
Old 11 August 2003, 04:43 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)
Unhappy

I am sure that if the car had sounded like a bag of nails, then the buyer would not have bought it.
With a full service history, even if driven hard, there should be
no problem.

We all have a bit of respect for our cars on here.
We warm them up before letting loose
We let them cool down after a drive.
Most of us use at least 98ron fuel.

Perhaps the buyer didnt take such care.
Redlinnig in first and second on 95 ron with a cold engine wouldnt do it any good

Greg
Old 11 August 2003, 04:56 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Cool

Camk, think ur referring to this thread...
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=238359
Old 11 August 2003, 04:56 PM
black knight
Scooby Regular

i try to pass most of the basic knowledge to the buyer in enjoying and safeguarding the car. how it happens i dont know as i had friends whose cars blew at 30mph?!

but i do keep the basics:

warm up, cool down, check engine/ gear oil, coolant. always switch on auto IC spray when doing short burst to avoid blowing turbo due to high intake temp. mind you i have previously owned 2 other scoobs and had done lots of research in the past 4 yrs.

anyway, i shall now let this rest until further contact from the buyer. thanks again everyone, opiniond much appreciated.
Old 11 August 2003, 05:07 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Hang in there chap. It's an unfortunate situation, doubly so to think that a car on which you lavished considerable TLC is now sick, but you can't be responsible for another's actions.

As has been said many times, your responsibility to the buyer ended the moment he got in the car and drove away. He has neither legal nor moral ground to call you unreasonable.
Old 11 August 2003, 05:11 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Tough s**t on the moaning git when you buy privatley thats the chance you take.If you say car was right then it was right, tell him to **** off or you'll set my dogs on him (two extra large german shepards((Kurgen, Misty,))
dave
Old 11 August 2003, 05:15 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

This was a good one till it got locked

Quick Reply: sold scoob, blown 3 days later