Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group buy on Two piece Alcon Rotor for scoobies?

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2003, 10:13 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I have been having some interesting discussions with regard to finding a two piece rotor replacement for the Alcon big brake kit.

I like the brakes when they are working but, in common with quite a lot of you out there, have had problems with warping and even the one piece rotor cracking clean through. As a result I have been searching for a two piece replacement for some time. I have spoken to some senior people at Alcon and they weren't help as all of their possible kit was primarily pure competition focussed. However, a new range of two piece rotor kits aimed at the clubman or trackday enthusiast has been launched - the Alcon Advantage range - and I have spoken to one of their distributors in the UK who has a long and impressive record in rallying particularly, but also racing, and they could put together an alloy bell made specifically to carry these Alcon rotors and to fit the existing calipers for a highly competitive price.

Initial discussions point towards £164 per rotor, and £150 per bell so £628 ex vat as long as at least 5 of us want to do this, but of course the replacement rotors in future would be far cheaper than the existing one piece alternative.

I'm away for the whole weekend from now but if any of you have an interest please let me know/post on here and I'll get more info re the bells, colour, etc early next week.

Cheers + good weekend to everyone

John
Old 09 August 2003, 11:23 AM
barge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brakes are for wimps !!!

Old 09 August 2003, 02:44 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Fat boy - check my similar thread... they may not be warped after all. I was utterly convinced mine were. Having survived the kind of use mine have been subjected to (although I am very good about warming up/cooling down) I would be very surprised if you had warped them.

That said, when I eventually replace mine I will definitely look for two-piece.
Old 11 August 2003, 10:47 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Thank you Mr Barge

Edcase,

My two previous sets (replaced under warranty) definitely were warped and yours will be as well if you keep doing loads of trackdays and brake even fairly aggressively. They will clean up initially and run smooth again,as yours have done, but the gaps when they are OK will get less and less until they are shagged.You keep getting high/hot spots through deposition and the stresses between this hot spot and the less hot spots surrounding it will warp the rotor. BTW, I don't call a crack that I can see through from one side of the disc to the other "pad deposition" either. However, yes, pad deposition is how most of this starts, especially if you're running Ds 2000 as supplied as OEM. Run DS2500/PF 25 and keep rotor temps below 550C and they'll survive, but these are basically road rotors not track brakes.

When they do go, drop me a mail about the two pieces...

Other people out there can back up this experience, Chuckster/Old Fart for one.
Old 11 August 2003, 10:49 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
ok cool, sounds good. Any chance of sourcing some ceramic discs??
Old 12 August 2003, 08:11 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

That would be nice, but I think that they would be worth more than my car.