Sponsored by:

Ashamed of driving this morning!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2003, 07:48 PM
TON3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I was running late this mornin and i was at the back of a 9 car slow moving convoy with a truck at the head of it. Well i saw a gap 5 cars up from where i was and thought i'll av this lot and slip in the gap, but no after getting a huge surge of boost i thought sod it i can do the lot. BIG MISTAKE, as the truck was obscuring my view of a bus that was moving bloody fast on the opposite side! Panic was not the word, i nearly shat! I quickly moved into the car behind the truck almost touching doors, and then shot past the truck! I then slowed down really pissed off with myself 4 bein such a ****, and a bike that had witnessed my stupidity rode past and gave me the ****** sign, which i happily excepted!

Whats worse is that im a fireman and should know a lot better! Im a disgrace to myself, my job, my scoob, and the rest of u more sensible drivers!

Not that im looking 4 sympathy but has anyone else been really pissed off with there selves?
Old 08 August 2003, 07:51 PM
GreenMachine
Scooby Regular

Don't be too hard on yourself - I'm sure most of us have been there

At least you're still around to learn from the mistake!
Old 08 August 2003, 07:55 PM
fuz
Scooby Regular

hang your helmet up with shame

the reason we do it ,is because we can

every one makes mistakes, we have the breaks and the power to get out of mistakes that other ppl make but hav accidents

this does not however seem to include joy riders who always seem 2 crash scoobys!
Old 08 August 2003, 07:59 PM
blobsta.
Scooby Newbie

Smile

tut! tut! tut!

repeat after me

Just because i have a scooby it don't mean i can jump queue's.

Ive gone to overtake and floored it when i got alongside i hit full boost my rear wheels started spinning, i was going nowhere fast i had to control the wheelspin ease off the throttle and then boot it again with when traction was gained ....MMmm that will teach me to be clever in the wet...doh!!

[Edited by blobsta. - 8/8/2003 8:00:56 PM]
Old 08 August 2003, 08:03 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Red face

Been there done it mate, only thing mine involed a pertol tanker!!
Old 08 August 2003, 08:03 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

Ever heard the saying " you never know whats round the corner" ? you should know better but still you have learned and only your ego got damaged
Old 08 August 2003, 08:09 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

The positive thing is, I bet you'll remember it.
A lesson learned and no-one got hurt.

Most of us have done a stupid driving stunt to some degree...and got away with it.

Its the ones that keep on doin it
Old 08 August 2003, 08:12 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

You realise that you were a tad silly and have (hopefully) learned from it.

Don't be too hard on yourself mate, we've all done things we regret, or are ashamed of.

Chin up!
Old 08 August 2003, 08:17 PM
stellaFella
Scooby Regular

overtakes faster than a boxter! Those W***ers in their 'hothatches' don't know what they are born. You are still alive you may not be next time it's your choice.
Old 08 August 2003, 08:18 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Talking

Been there done that and made myself look a right plonker, don't be too hard on yourself, we all make mistakes
Cheers
Colin
Old 08 August 2003, 08:46 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

I've done that before.
I've never done it again.
Neither will you.

Old 08 August 2003, 09:00 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

Mate - go easy on yourself - I did it with 3 passengers, all in my department at work - the overtaking was fine, the fecked 2 pots weren't. I remember a saying 'high performance car with a low performance driver' - thats how I felt. But I'm at one with the scoob, the road and my ability.

Its a lesson, and you learn from them.

Others who dare chastise have done it themselves as well.

Old 08 August 2003, 09:18 PM
Dapster
Scooby Regular

We've all done it! Glad your ok and most importantly, that you've realised that you've been a plonker and will think twice before you do it again.

The first performance car I got was an 87 MR2 about 10 years ago. I came up behind a long line of cars and thought "hey hey!" and nailed it in third, up a hill on a single track road.

I was about alongside the second car from the front with a bus coming the other way when the car just stopped accelarating! It took me what seemed to be about ten minutes to figure out I was on the rev limiter and all my precise overtaking calculations were out of the window.... A mad panic of gear change, brake, swerve, pray and trouser change later and I was just about ok but with a whole queue of cars and a bus flashing there lights and a number of passengers in the bus looking through the gaps in their fingers!
Old 08 August 2003, 09:44 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

the red mist comes down occasionally. just lucky you was on your own. putting someone elses life in danger like i did is just plain stupid. my mate says he will not get in the car with me again. on reflection my overtaking manuever was mental. i learned a lesson that day as i am sure you have as well.

but take heart m8, the scoob because of its supercar acceleration actually lessens the time you leave yourself open to danger. it does help if you know what your car is capable of tho.

cheers

sinky
Old 08 August 2003, 09:54 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I've done this "i'll just get past that slow ****** so i can travel at 60" and the corner comes up quicker when you're flying past cars on boost. I was level with the last car and thought "i cant see for **** i hope nothing is coming!".

Well there wasn't till just after i tooked in luckily!! Its the only time in 6months i've come near to crashing the scoob. It wont happen again!

(it is so stupidly mind-burstingly annoying though when some complete retard decides they are doing 40 and everyone else can eat **** and die!!!)

Andy
Old 08 August 2003, 11:58 PM
Scoobydick
Scooby Regular

Cool

He who dares wins, Rodney!
Old 09 August 2003, 12:12 AM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft
has anyone else been really pissed off with there selves???

yep me 1 night had to much beer and couldnt get going with the missus lol
Old 09 August 2003, 12:54 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Good to here you survived and learned from the experience.

Mine was a mini-bus and not noticing I was off boost...but why DO people assume that full beam headlights blinding the 'peretrator' will somehow make things better rather than causing a sudden rending crash? Tut - Golf drivers..... I dunno.

Vindaloo.
Old 09 August 2003, 05:29 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

'chelle - you floozy
Old 09 August 2003, 06:36 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

He'd need a long hose if you're still on the other side of the planet
Old 09 August 2003, 07:39 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Lol @ 'Chelle.

Too easy to get sucked in like that, bet there aren't many here who haven't done something like that. Main thing is to put it down to experience and learn the lesson!

Les
Old 09 August 2003, 07:47 AM
Little Miss WRX

Talking

Everyone has their weak spots....firemen just happen to be mine.
Old 09 August 2003, 09:57 AM
Monkeh
Scooby Regular

You learn from the mistakes..

I dont over take convoy's of cars in one go on country lanes anymore...

Not since i ran someone off the road and nearly parked me car in someones front garden
Old 09 August 2003, 11:10 AM
Dicke C
Scooby Regular

Reminds me when I was at College. Passenger in a friend of a friends GT5 when he decided to overtake on the wrong side of the road......on a blind corner.
"WTF are you doing" i say to him.
"You have to take risks every now and then" was his profound reply.
"Next time you want to, stop the car and let me get out you ******* wnaker".....
Needless to say I never travelled again with him....

Old 09 August 2003, 12:43 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Done a few to55er moves myself over the years I believe they've made my a much better driver I still feel a right git for a while after one of these moves though! I have lived to tell the tale
I suppose it would be more worrying if you felt no regret what so ever
Old 09 August 2003, 02:18 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Yep got the T-Shirt...the main thing is that no one was injured and you realised that for a moment you were in the wrong due to an error of judgement.

No driver drives 100% correctly 100% of the time...you made the move and got away with it and realised your mistake - learn from it as next time you may not be so lucky.

Its better to arrive 10 mins late than not to arrive at all

Old 09 August 2003, 02:46 PM
Sicey
Scooby Regular

I was in italy last month and took a nice scenic twisty route back to the villa, happy to be driving at 60/70ish down these lovely lanes I then hit a 7 or 8 car convoy, looking ahead at the cars it appears that no one is going to overtake the slow moving van at the front, I did not want to sit at 40mph for the next 5 miles so when a nice long straight came up with clear views I floored it in 3rd, just as I was coming up to so called van at a rapid rate of knots he decides to turn(no indicator!) towards my path, fortunately for me I had a tad more left in 3rd and gave it the big'un and just squeezed past, the sad thing is I think he only noticed me at the last minute and braked hard, my wife thinks one of the people behind him drove into the back of him as he stopped sharply, if he had been indicating I would of pulled back in further up, still felt a bit stupid though if there was a small prang caused.
Yes we all do it every now and then, that was my first one like that in years and hopefully the last.
Old 09 August 2003, 05:54 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Wink

Moves like that must ALWAYS be done in such a way that you are certain of the outcome. Then they can be perfectly safe. Your mistake was a greedy change of mind by not slotting safely into the original gap you went for. I did a similar move in my T16 Rover Turbo (quite nippy) recently on a fine uphill straight road which I've known since I rode it on my pushbike back in the 1950s. I pulled in front of the single decker bus holding the line of cars quite safely with over a 100 metres to spare. However, it obviously did not impress the oncoming tarted up Fiesta driver who had time to remove his hand from the wheel, and give the old banker sign with his right arm fully out of the door window. His other hand was probably holding the mobile phone to his other ear!

A perfectly safe move but, yes, we've all done moves which we immediately or later regret. The skill is in learning and knowing your and your car's limitations. Learn those thoroughly before taking risks and you should never have problems as a result of your own actions. However, ALWAYS remember, you do NOT have control over the behaviour of other road users. What may be perfectly safe move for one individual may be considered dangerous by others causing unpredictable over-reactions from them.

Remember too, no matter what road you are driving, in modern conditions there's invariably someone coming in the other direction ...(Oh Matron!..... ) and because the vehicle they drive has a multitude of in-car safety devices, they feel cushioned against reality and many subconsciously dont have to drive as safely as you in your less safe car ....

It's an extension of what was once called the "Volvo" mentality. By this I mean "I drive a much safer car than you" which with the passing of time has now evolved into "4 by 4 Monster truck so I'm safe" mentality which for an increasing number of drivers of such vehicles, certainly from my observations, further evolves into pure aggression, intimidation and less consideration towards drivers of "lesser" vehicles.

Think about it ..... I expect you know the ones I mean. If you don't then your powers of observation must be very limited.

Safety Fast MotorinG
Old 09 August 2003, 06:41 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Scoobydick said

He who dares wins, Rodney!
between law of averages and unreliability of other dirvers, one day you ain't gonna be so lucky, so i will read your obituary with a thought of "i told him so".

I dunno maybe i am getting tooooo long in the tooth and should buy my volvo (along with my pipe and slippers)

there's a time and a place for it.......always

cheers

sinky
Old 09 August 2003, 06:58 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Atleast you knew you had done something wrong, the only time i would really condone something like this if it was a boast but this isnt.
The people you really have to worry about are the ones that do this and think it was good driving (sounds like that tw@t in the vectra behind me today, 3 inches off my bumper and wanting to overtake, this was a 30 zone btw, he could and probably would have caused an accident, i turned right, he was then 2 inches off the car he was behind then )

Tony

Quick Reply: Ashamed of driving this morning!!!!!!!