Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STI 2002 vs STI 2003

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2003, 02:00 AM
einari
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello.I am thinking about buying a STI and there are 2 cars that a am thinking about. The other one is a MY02 and the other MY03.I just wanted to know if there is performance diffrence between those models. I also not sure if I like the 2003 like better, I think that rally style bugeye on the 2002 car looks cool.

P.S. I have also heard that the 2003 has a bigger turbine than the 2002 car,but the horsepower output is the same?

P.S.S I am sorry if the spelling is wrong. I am from Iceland.
Old 08 August 2003, 08:37 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

I think that the biggest difference is like you say, the turbo, the MY02 runs a VF30 and the MY03 has a vf34.
Low down power has been improved on the MY03 over the MY02, this looks like the biggest change to the drivability of the car, and there are possibly some minor suspension changes??

Tony
Old 08 August 2003, 09:03 AM
ChrisJD
Scooby Regular

Having now owned both versions, they really are very similar. Performance wise, you won't really notice much difference, the 2003 model should have slightly less turbo lag, but to be honest I haven't notice much difference. The steering is better on the 2003 version, again only slightly, with a smaller steering wheel and revised ratio.
I think it really depends on your view of the styling, I don't prefer one over the other in that respect.
I only changed to the new one as a result of someone elses stupidity, which resulted in the 'bugeye' being written off.

Enjoy which ever you go for.
Regards
Chris
Old 09 August 2003, 10:38 PM
einari
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the commends. But I have more guestions? if the MY03 has a bigger turbine, why isn´t the horsepower output higher? Is the MY03 running on lower boost? if so doesn´t the MY02 give more kick(turbo feel) when the turbo kicks in?
Old 09 August 2003, 11:16 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

IMHO the my02 will have more kick in the wallet dept when you come to sell it, they ain't shifting too well at the mo'.
Old 10 August 2003, 09:28 AM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

corradoboy

Yes they are struggling to shift them on the second hand market, but this is to be expected with a car that is technically only 18 months old and is now (and has been for much of the year) essentially an old model.

I had owned my STI7 for 6 months only to find out that a significantly revised model (to look at anyway!) was being released in 2003. Some people were a lot worse off than me, finding out a matter of weeks after taking delivery of their 7.

The thing that has made this worse is most of the 7 owners decided to part company with motor and move up to an 8 or an alternative manufacturer, hence flooding the market with cars that many people didn't/don't particularly want.

Lets face it, second hand 7 for about £19-22k depending on mileage, or £25k for a brand new 8...

IMO, you can buy a 7 now, and in 18 months / 2 years from now, you wouldn't have lost that much money on the car when you come to sell. There is the best part of £33k money wise spent in my 7 and I would be lucky to get £19k for it now, but I bet it will not be much less than £16k in 18 months time. Get a PPP'd one, and that's a 300bhp bargain car.... if a little heavy.... but no slouch on the road....

Just my opinion of course...

Simon

Oh, ask me if I would have sold my car if the depreciation wasn't so bad. Too bl00dy right I would have. Bonnet scoop aside, the 8 is a better looking, more aggresive looking beast...
Old 11 August 2003, 09:04 AM
ChrisJD
Scooby Regular

einari,
As far as I know the boost and power are the same on both models. But the revisions to the MY03 are supposed to improve pick up and reduce the lag slightly, improving drivabilty but not overall performance. I think same goes for the suspension modifications.

Chris