Evo 8 FQ300 would be my choice!

My opinion here!

[Edited by Andy Tang - 8/7/2003 9:16:55 AM]
Old 02 August 2003, 03:38 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Having test driven both the Evo and STi today, I simply cannot deicde which is the better car.

The Evo looks better from outside I think, and I also think has more kudos (sp?), and is slightly quicker. But the STi is better inside I think, and sounds better (and ofcourse is cheaper!), and only a bit slower.

Would welcome any opinions on the issue

Matt
Old 02 August 2003, 03:44 PM
robsta
Scooby Regular

An impossible task but a nice position to be in!!!

If you do loads of miles I'd go for STi and if its just the weekend car or low miles, the EVO.

If you do go for the STi, make sure you get PPP.

Good luck

Robsta (STi7PPP)
Old 02 August 2003, 06:20 PM
Blue_Boy
Scooby Regular

I've just got rid of my VIII for a Spec C and I know which one I like better. The Scooby with the PPP or a Jap Spec one is at least the same performance for the same money as the Evo anwyay, so you've got no worries there.

From the outside, it's a matter of opinion - the Evo only looks better because there' fewer of them, I think the Scooby stands out a lot more (especially in blue, which you can't get the VIII in).

In terms of running costs (insurance / servicing / tyres), the Scooby is about half the cost (even with 18" wheels and imported).
Old 02 August 2003, 06:22 PM
scoobysug
Scooby Regular

I was in the same predicament recently:-)

The Scoob sounds better and is better for day to day life, without question, but it's not cheaper, because you'll need PPP, 18" wheels and potentially uprated springs to put it in evo performance territory, plus the stereo is utterly ****e and will need upgrading if music in your car is important to you.

The Evo sounds pants but is as precise as a surgical instrument but just as sterile, looks loads better in my opinion, but would probably annoy you for day to day drudgery, especially if you live somewhere with crap roads like i do. Handles like a dream though when giving it some on B-roads, and is more tuneable. So if hardcore driving thrills are more important, it has to be an Evo, especially as it has no stereo!

I went for the scoob because of day to day liveability, but when i get the chance to cane it around decent roads i wish i was in an evo, because the subaru is a bit soft and understeery. Tough one mate, take your time though because its a lot of money down the pan if you change your mind!

Good luck
Old 02 August 2003, 06:44 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Wink

Same decision recently too. Went for the STi8 with PPP and 18's.

I think the Scoob looks better and will stand out more than the Evo. I didnt like the interior of the Mitsi at all, and the back end doesnt do anything for me.

The clinchers though were

1.partex against my sti7, it was 2k out and add that to the extra 2k that the FQ was over the Sti(PPP) I didnt think the difference was worth 4k.

2.local dealer has just become a ralliart dealer and I was worried that they wouldn't have the experience of the Evo. After all the Subaru boys sell more WRX than the base models. means that it is less of a novelty and wont be ragging them up the road.

I must admit though that visiting the mitsi dealer got me thinking about changing the car, as I was not planning on going from the sti7 to 8, and I really really wanted the Evo at first.

In case anyone reads this who has an sti7, the sti8 was a completely different drive. The steering was so much sharper, there was more low down grunt and it certainly felt quicker. all on a standard car with 190 miles. With 19k as a part ex I was more than happy.
Old 02 August 2003, 07:44 PM
scoobysug
Scooby Regular

Red face

Actually, get neither, just been reading about the spec c limited, you should get that instead!! Evo 8 destroyer!!
Think i'm gonna look into this myself, anyone fancy a black sti 8 with 18" prodrive alloys?;-)

Trending Topics

Old 02 August 2003, 07:49 PM
scoobysug
Scooby Regular

Red face

Jesus, can you imagine trying to explain the spec c to Tescos insurance people!!?? What a nightmare, where would you begin? They can't even cope with the PPP upgrade!
Old 02 August 2003, 09:43 PM
Blue_Boy
Scooby Regular

Yes indeed - I was talking about the Spec C and not the standard STi for me. It costs only a little more than the Evo (for the Ltd version) and the Evo only has 17" wheels on anyway, so the price really isn't going to be any different and you don't get a stereo with either import car.

Insurance is still 300 quid less for me than the Evo and servicing is exactly half price for the major ones and less than that for the oil changes.

Checkout this thread:

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=236249
Old 02 August 2003, 10:33 PM
scoobysug
Scooby Regular

Who are you insured with blueboy? How is it cheaper to insure than an Evo?
Old 03 August 2003, 10:51 AM
simakinen
Scooby Regular

Hello Matt,
I think that this is one of the most difficult decisions that has to be made if you are interested in this type of car.I have been swapping and changing between the two for the last 5 years and still cant decide which is best, because they are both the best.I wouldnt pay much attention to one being quicker than the other,because again they are virtually identical.You must choose which ever takes your fancy and then stick with your decision and dont let anybody or any test report sway your decision or you will drive yourself crazy.If magazines are to be believed then one is best one week, then the other is better the week after.My favourite at the moment is the Subaru,only because of the noise,and also i love having that ridiculous air scoop in front of me.I just love pottering around in it,but when its time to do the business,its always there.My mate came round in his new Evo 7 yesterday and let me have a drive in that and i thought it was great,AAARRRGGGHHH !!!!! see what i mean, virtually impossible to choose.Just pick one and stick with your decision,but just let me say which ever one you pick you will not be dissapointed,they are both fantastic.Hope this helps, regards, SIMON.
Old 03 August 2003, 01:45 PM
Blue_Boy
Scooby Regular

I am wth Tesco's. They've got it down as a special Type RA (don't think they really knew what it was at all), but we agreed on the price to insure for and the spec!

At the end of the day, Tesco's are mainly worried about the Evo going missing (as many more of them get nicked). They're not as worried about the Scooby because they're not as rare.
Old 03 August 2003, 04:32 PM
TON3
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hmm wasnt this done the other day? All depends on which magazine u read and so on blah, blah, blah! From the majority of reports ive seen the sti8 ppp is slightly quicker, the evo better on corners, if i was gonna get an evo it would be a VI they are feckin lovely but between a new sti and the new evo, i'd av 2 say the sti! The burbling alone wins me over!
Old 03 August 2003, 05:33 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Talking

i agree with si makinen, pick one and stick with it.

you will drive yourself insane otherwise

gav..
Old 03 August 2003, 08:51 PM
Higgs
Scooby Regular

Top Gear said the EVO was the faster track car and the scooby was the faster road car and clarkson said the scooby was the nicer 2 drive
Old 03 August 2003, 09:52 PM
Spudgun VI
Scooby Regular

theyre only equal until the modifying begins. then the evo is far superior to a scooby imho.
Old 04 August 2003, 08:04 AM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

far superior heh

i think you have been in in the dark side to long
Old 04 August 2003, 08:10 AM
T.J
Scooby Regular

have you seen last weeks autocar 0-100-0 STI8 PPP V FQ300?
Old 04 August 2003, 08:27 AM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Yeah just read the Autocar review.

Thanks for the opinions guys, we still haven't made our decision finally yet, but I think we are leaning towards the Evo, especially if we can get an FQ300. I would imagine that this would be significantly better than a PPP'd STi, which would sort of be borne out by the Autocar review.

Keep the thoughts comin'

Matt
Old 04 August 2003, 08:38 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Smile

"after trailing the Evo to 100 by 1.18 secs, nothing short of crashing the STI into a treee was going to stop it from losing this contest"
Quite an amusing quote
Old 04 August 2003, 09:37 AM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

"especially if we can get an FQ300"

WTF!!
Old 04 August 2003, 09:41 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Talking

If you wait until the article in Autocar comes out where they tested the 'C' Spec Ltd against the FQ300 you'll be changing your mind again lol!
Old 04 August 2003, 12:21 PM
CTRnutter
Scooby Regular

I think it is all down to personal taste really, after the Tommi Mak I will definatly have eyes for no other car, but wanting new !! it had to be the STI-8 PPP, had things been different and I'd known a bit more about the engine of the scoob I wouldn't have bothered with the PPP and gone my own route from the start. but that again is all down to how much the warranty means to you,

but I have no doubt that the scoob in it's current form, won't have any probs being faster than an FQ300 EVO VIII,

but both great cars at the end of the day
Old 04 August 2003, 04:14 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Daryl, calm down its not good in your condition

No doubt you could tune an STi to more than an FQ300, but I wonder whether the Evo is a better base to start from?
Matt

[Edited by Matt Churchill - 04/08/2003 16:16:34]
Old 04 August 2003, 04:50 PM
CTRnutter
Scooby Regular

it all depends on how far you want to take the tuning but don't forget the WRX STI leaves a few more pennies in the pocket to sart you off !
Old 07 August 2003, 07:26 AM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all of the opinions, decided on an Evo, just think it is a bit more desireable, and of course rarer.
Old 07 August 2003, 08:00 AM
CTRnutter
Scooby Regular

at the end of the day all we can say is good choice, and thats because the evo III is a fantastic car, all thats left in differences between these cars are based strongly on opinion and the way you prefer your car to drive,

Happy motoring
Old 07 August 2003, 08:10 AM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers CTR, but it is an Evo VIII not III

Will post some pics when I have it

Matt
Old 07 August 2003, 08:16 AM
CTRnutter
Scooby Regular

Talking

Doh !! it's early in the morning
Old 07 August 2003, 09:34 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

So in order to keep up with an FQ300 you need to buy a C spec which is basically a stripped out race car....

So its obvious

BUY THE BLEEDING EVO

You'll spend £28k - but it'll still be worth £20k in 3 years whereas you'll loose £8k on the STI the minute you sit in it!!!!

Jza

Quick Reply: Evo8 vs STi8 opinions wanted