ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Air Con not working quite right?

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2000, 03:43 PM
Jon Sargent
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I don't think my AC is working quite right. When I switch the engine on and start the AC running everything is fine, nice ice cold air streams out for about 3 minutes and then turns into what seems to be normal ambient air temperature. Then as my frustration builds a stream of cold air will then rush through but cut out almost as quick. Surely the supply should be constant? Should I get this checked out? I have actually used the AC every day to (apparently) keep everything working but the car is only 6 weeks old and in the heat you really notice it not working!! Also, I popped the hood and noticed that the compressor kicking in and then stopping, kicking in and then stopping. Anybody else has/had this problem? Looks like my first use of the warrenty is in order !!
Old 05 May 2000, 03:50 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

I have found that the AC becomes least effective when the engine is at idle (almost as if it were switched off). I'm certainly no expert but I presume that this is because the AC unit is mechanically driven by the engine and a drop in engine revs affects its efficiency.

D.
Old 05 May 2000, 03:51 PM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Open you windows instead.
Old 05 May 2000, 04:05 PM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Talking

Scott, if it's hot outside, what's the point in opening your windows to keep you "cool"? Ahh...you must drive a UK car......heheh...

Gethin
Old 05 May 2000, 04:07 PM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Oh Jon, is it an import??

Old 05 May 2000, 04:08 PM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

Wink

Jon

Sounds like your A/C is working the way it should. Does your A/C have a thermostat that you can set to the temperature that you want? If so you will get cold air until that temperature is reached. Then it will cut in and out to maintain that temperature.

The compressor kicks in and out in a similar fashion to maintain the refrigerant at constant low temperature. If it stayed on the refrigerant would get too cold and the heat exchanger in the A/C unit would freeze up.

By all means get it checked out, but I suspect it's OK.
Old 05 May 2000, 04:09 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Talking

If you are to start with, who needs aircon?
Old 05 May 2000, 04:09 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Question

Is it a UK car or import? Climate on imports does this all the time, UK A/C should be constant stream. On my old UK car I used to get this happen - was a leak in the system and eventually went kaput - pretty easy fix though and done under warranty even though car was 2.5 years old.
Charles
Old 05 May 2000, 04:28 PM
Jon Sargent
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks for getting back to me people, it is much appreciated !!

I got my car (UK spec) from Holland and had the AC fitted at the garage. Does this cause a problem with the warrenty the fact that I got it fitted in Holland and do they fit it so it operates differently?
It is the bog standard cold/hot dial (i.e no thermostat that I am aware of) and I just turn it all the way to cold. When it works it works when it doesn't it's very frustrating!!
Old 05 May 2000, 04:49 PM
JamesH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Jon

Is the slide switch to re-circulate? That closes the vent to the o/s world & "re-circulates" the air in the car. If switch is accross to the "through" position, the a/c struggles to keep the air at the correct temp as either cold/hot/warm/whatever air passes the cooling matrix & upsets the thermostat & hence temp inside the car.

I would say that you have not got the slide switch across to re-circulate.

If you have, then it must be something else!
Old 05 May 2000, 04:56 PM
Jon Sargent
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Thanks James

To be honest I haven't tried that. Thanks for the advice, lets hope it is a "cold" summer ahead after all!!
Old 05 May 2000, 05:04 PM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

I agree with blubs (where does that name come from?).

Gethin, I drive a 98 WRX with full SS exhaust, dump valve, tarox 6 potters, and 17" wheels a nice SS carbon rear wing, oh and I have Aircon.

I rarley have my aircon on it can increase fuel consumption by upto 10% and drain BHP from your car.

Be cool
Keep your Aircon off
And expend less fuel
You fool

Old 05 May 2000, 10:56 PM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

I have exactly the same problem on my MY99 and posted about it a while ago try searching for post by me BHORT there are not many. It seems that quite a few of the newer cars do it. Get it checked out after all it is not doing what you paid for. I will be having mine checked soon. Incidentially it does seem to improve with time with more cold and less ambient flow but it is no where near as good as my last car.

Brendan