ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

hypothetical situation

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2003, 09:39 AM
Chris_O
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK,

Say someone buys a 2nd hand sccob from a dealer under the used approved scheme. This car has the PPP on it, but the guy who buys it fails to mention this to his insurance company at the time.
Then 6 months later the car gets written off. How likely is it that the insurance assesor would know that there was a PPP on the car?? And what would the likely reaction of said insurance assesor be??

Just wondering,

Chris

[Edited by Chris_O - 8/1/2003 9:40:50 AM]
Old 01 August 2003, 09:52 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Hypothetically speaking you'd be ****ed
Old 01 August 2003, 09:54 AM
Chris_O
Scooby Regular

i take i that the PPP is fairly obviuos when fitted then??

Old 01 August 2003, 09:56 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Knowing how insurance companies will try to weedle their way out of paying up, with a car like a Scoob, they will definitely be looking for signs of undeclared modifications. A trained eye will definitely spot the PPP exhaust if nothing else.
Old 01 August 2003, 09:59 AM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

the exhaust is very obvious. Also you only have to raise the bonnet and the Prodrive hoses are very obvious (on a classic anyway).
The additional premium is not worth the risk of losing everything. Hypothetically speaking of course.

Steve
Old 01 August 2003, 10:06 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Who is this hypothetical person insured with - hypothetically speaking!?
Old 01 August 2003, 10:10 AM
Chris_O
Scooby Regular

i think he may be hypothetically planning on insuring with tesco.
I think this is due to the fact that if he existed then he wouldn't be over 30 so Liv Vic won't insuring him on a WRX.

Old 01 August 2003, 10:16 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Have a read of their T&C's but I would say a PPP mod would be a definite forfeit of cover. Alternatively if this person knows anyone whos a bit handy with a spanner, hacksaw etc get all the PPP stuff 'stolen' off the car before the assessor arrives. Bloody theiving scum!!!
Old 01 August 2003, 10:36 AM
Chris_O
Scooby Regular

i'm not sure he knows anyone like that. Looks like he'll be getting a standard car. boo hoo!
Old 01 August 2003, 11:38 AM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hypothetically, the loss adjuster will only look at the engine and chassis numbers to make sure they match with the log book. Then a quick check of the tyres. Don't forget these guys wear suits and are very unlikely to want to get it, or their hands dirty. That's what happened to me anyway.
Old 01 August 2003, 11:56 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Hypothetically, insurance fraud puts the cost of everyone else's insurance up and is quite anti-social.
Old 01 August 2003, 12:07 PM
Krade
Scooby Regular

Hyperthetically the Tesco assor didnt notice my hypotheticaly misssing air box (hks induction kit) or the hypothetical Four pots, non standard wheels. I know its not the same as a hyothetical PPP but they were fairly obivious hypothetical mods.

Id ring round a few other insurance companies like Adrian Flux, Norwich union, Elephant although ring them direct as the dont mention imports on thier webbys but they will insure them.
Old 01 August 2003, 12:15 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I would say that your hypothetical friend is a bit of a twit who should've thought about this situation before attempting to defraud his insurance company.

Possibly your hypothetical friend should be thanking his lucky stars that no-one is injured in his hypothetical situation 'cos then he could hypothetically have the a$$ sued off him - paraplegic 20yr old trainee doctor for the rest of his life? Guess that'd be several million your hypothetical friend would have to find...

The insurance assessor might well get his hands dirty - thats his job.

Especially now that its been posted on a public BBS that is known to be monitored by insurance companies and other bodies So any write of scoobs are going to get themselves inspected very closely I'd say...

Good job this is hypothetical...
Old 01 August 2003, 12:19 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hyperthetically, fraud, including insurance fraud is a criminal offence, and as such, hyperthetically, you can be done as your trying to gain something by deception (ie insurance).

Tony
Old 01 August 2003, 12:22 PM
Chris_O
Scooby Regular

hypothetically, heh heh, i;ve phoned round pretty much everyone and the lowest i've seen is 1300 (with tesco's and they want a tracker fitted)for a year old WRX, but the PPP sticks another 500 odd quid on, and i'm damned if i'm paying that extra.
I'll need to double check with Tesco's but it's definately going to put thing out of my price range.

I think my postcode G11 and the fact the car will be parke in teh road overnight is causing some major problems. Maybe there's a lot of scoobs nicked in the glasgow area.
Old 01 August 2003, 12:33 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Angry

If it is your intention to not declare the PPP to save yourself £500 then you are very very stupid.

Get a car without the PPP or pay the money. FFS like how much did it cost you to buy the car? Got it on HP maybe? They'll be after you if you total it as well.

Imagine injuring someone severely Be damned sure that your car would be checked from head to toe by both the Police and insurers. You could end up personally reponsible for paying for the total care and everything else for that person for the rest of their life.

If you won't pay for the PPP insurance then you don't deserve to have a driving license & I'm glad I don't drive around the Glasgow area too often, might meet you coming round the corner

IT IS NOT WORTH DOING [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Old 01 August 2003, 12:34 PM
wideboyuk
Scooby Regular

Try Elephant.
I pay £980 , 27yrs old, 5yrs ncb on a STI7 - non PPP though
Plus I had to make a claim last year for theft and they were very good and settled quickly and efficiently

Old 01 August 2003, 12:44 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Ask yourself this! If/When you are caught driving a non standard car as per the insurance policy documents you could have some VERY big fines! Some Police Officers own scoobs so know the difference between a PPP and a Non-PPP car as well, so they would well pick up on it at the side of the road! IIRC it is upto £5000 in fines, plus points on your liscence!

Now imagine if you were driving the car, and had an accident, and someone was killed, you had no insurance, how would you feel then?
Old 01 August 2003, 12:53 PM
Pbone
Scooby Regular

Try reversing the hypothetical situation and someone hit you without insurance, how p****d off would you be???????
Old 01 August 2003, 12:53 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

he'd feel big Leroy as he picked up the soap in the shower block
Si
Old 01 August 2003, 12:54 PM
Little Miss WRX

Chris_O,

Are you not reading the advice?

To save a few quid you'll be prepared to take some unacceptable risks?????
The risks far outweight the saving you will make - if you can't afford to insure it, DON'T GET IT.
Old 01 August 2003, 01:02 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Unhappy

Prob not 'chelle

He'll be thinking "what a load of twits - it'll never happen to me"

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 01 August 2003, 01:19 PM
Little Miss WRX

At 24 I sometimes wonder if I have aged too quickly......I can sympathise with him in a way, I have been there......paid the stifling insurance costs and wished I hadn't!

Chris,

PLEASE let this stay a hypothetical situation.......
Old 01 August 2003, 01:26 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Hypothetically, the chances are very slim he'd never get found out. However, even a slim chance of being found out is, IMO, too greater chance, given that the consequences could be:

o A big fat *(possibly custodial) sentence for insurance fraud,
o The potential to find it impossible to get insurance on a car (even one without a PPP ) for 5-10 years,
o The loss of a car without any recompense,
o A possible law-suit if a 3rd party was involved and the insurance was deemed to be void,
o The next 3-5 years in debt paying off a car on HP which no longer exists
o The wrath of Scoobynet when they find out what's happend.

Hypothetically, of course.

TBH, If you're going to defraud the insurance company, why not go the whole hog and tell 'em you're buying a 1.1 Fiesta...?
Old 01 August 2003, 01:30 PM
-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Don't do it. If you can't afford the insurance then you can't afford the car. It's that simple.
Old 01 August 2003, 01:32 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

One other point here. Being a 2nd-hand car, if the person buying the Scoob from the dealer wasn't very knowledgeable about Imprezas, so didn't know how to look out for a PPP, and the documents from the dealer didn't mention that the car had a PPP, it might actually be possible to buy a car thinking it was standard, without realising. In which case, assuming the person could prove he was unaware of the modifications, the legal position might be unclear (although the insurers would possibly be able to cite that ignorance is not a suitable defence)....

TBH, though, it's really not worth the risk. As 'Chelle says, if you can't afford to insure a car, you shouldn't buy/drive it.
Old 01 August 2003, 01:38 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Ignorance is not a defense in the eyes of the law...
Old 01 August 2003, 01:39 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Saying that I bought an MR2 turbo import and it had a str8 thru zorst which I thought was 'Jap standard', turns out it was a monstrous bhp increasing type. Mentioned it to the insurers and the K&N I put on and they weren't interested - depends on the insurer I guess, but with that many mods (PPP) you will get no cover and rightly so.

I know you buy the Impreza with the PPP and I'll swap it for my WRX?
Old 01 August 2003, 02:10 PM
Chris_O
Scooby Regular

OK, OK, this has all gone a bit mental here. Firstly, i am not currently, nor have i ever committed insurance fraud of any kind, nor am i saying that i intend to do so in the future.

If you actually read what i've said about my personal situation, i've stated that i'll almost certainly be buying a standard car as i'm niot prepared to hand an insurance company the best part of 2 grand a year, no danger. When i mentioned checking with tesco i was referring to checking how much extra for a PPP'd car, if it was reasonable, i'd do it, if not then i won't

Maybe i shouldn't have asked the question, or maybe i should have phrased it in a different way, but hey!

Anyway, i respect the feelings of those of you have posted and contrary to the stated opinions of some folks, who don't know me, i do not think you are a bunch of ***** for trying to discourage cheating on insurance like this.

Finally, whether or not the idea of lying about mods to a car (that i may or may not ever own ) even entered my head is irrelevant as i wouldn't do it anyway. Firstly, 'cos i'd be worried about getting caught, and second 'cos my sister is a police woman and would go mental when she found out.

Phew, only been a member of this forum for a few days and i;ve already kicked of a bad 'un.

Peace!

Chris
Old 01 August 2003, 02:18 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

Phew.

Good to hear Chris, you sure know how to make an impact.

Welcome to the board.....keep us updated on what you actually do.

Quick Reply: hypothetical situation