Sponsored by:

HELP

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2003, 06:09 PM
Deep Blue Mica
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi...

I have a big problem and I need some legal advice......

I bought an Evo recently.....awesome car. I knew prior to delivery that the speedo was over-reading and was informed that it would be fixed for delivery. Driving back home after collection, I noticed that the speedo was still over-reading, so the car was booked-in(it took them from Friday to Tuesday to do this) to sort things. However, with the car due in tomorrow, I realised today that the odometer was totally wrong.....an actual journey of 16.3 miles was recorded on the Evo as 20.8 miles!

I'm not sure if they can reset the mileage or not, but either way there is always going to be some question mark over the exact mileage of this car and this IMHO would affect its resale value.....I certainly would not even consider buying it!

Given that the dealer knowingly supplied me with this faulty car(an offence under the Road Traffic Act), do you think that I have sufficient grounds to reject it?

I realy need your help here guys....

Stressed, DBM
Old 31 July 2003, 06:36 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts
If the recorded milage is higher than the actual milage, then you don't need to worry about the past history as the true milage of the car is less than what is indicated.

However, the indicated 'High' milage may affect the resale value!

To my knowledge, you can't adjust the odometer measurement, as this could enable you to effectively clock the car! Also, the calibration requirements are such that the odometer must not underclock the milage (-0%) but there is no limit on overclocking!

One reason for such a large error may be the tyre/wheel size! One possibility to give a high reading is if lower profile tyres are fitted to the original wheels! This will reduce the circumference of the overall wheel size and therefore give a higher recorded milage as the wheel must rotate more times to cover the same distance!
Old 31 July 2003, 06:47 PM
Tony Montana
Scooby Regular

Question

try posting on the MLR

there was a guy on there had the same problem, apparently it was clocking up while staitonery.
Old 31 July 2003, 08:37 PM
Deep Blue Mica
Scooby Regular

Cheers
DBM