Prodrive Live rocks !

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2003, 11:01 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi,

Finally got to use the Prodrive Live voucher today that the GF bought me in November!

WOW, what can I say?? It was an awesome day and I thouroughly recommend it to anyone who has the slightest interest in cars... yep that good. The 4x4 course we started on might sound like a 'filler' whilst the other group are in the STIs, but it really is an excellent experience in its own right. I learnt things I never knew about '4x4ing'.

The STIs are very cool. At the time of writing, I have a 3 week old WRX with Prodrive 18s fitted and a PPP on order, and the GF has had an 01 WRX wagon from new, so I know a little about how they handle. My previous car was a TVR Chimera 4.0HC V8. That's 285bhp and 305lb/ft torque in a car that weighs less than a ton, so I also know about quick. Well I thought I did until I had a go (and was then driven by someone who really knew what they were doing) in the Prodrive Live STIs!!!!

I was able to drive faster than I've ever been through twisty tarmac. Forget your favourite section of country lane (come on, own up, we all have at least one) and all the hazards waiting for you, this is the real deal and about as close as mere mortals can get to being Petter without taking out a third mortgage and spending every weekend in a muddy field in Wales practising.

The instructors are experienced, helpful and knew exactly where I was going wrong. They are able to tell you how to get the most out of your drive and go even faster !! How many people do you know that would sit in the passenger seat of a 320bhp+ STI and show you how to go faster??

Just so you know, you 'only' get two sessions of five laps. Doesn't sound a lot? Well, if you're as fit as Petter, maybe not, but I go to the gym 4 times a week and I was knackered! The time was excellent and the grin factor is a definate 10 out of 10. After 5 laps you get the feeling you're only going to make mistakes, and the combination of adreneline and fatigue would make it happen. Best to finish on a high rather than on the roof (and yes, I heard it has been done!)

As you may have gathered, I had a good morning :-) It was made even better by winning 1st place in that session, scoring 91% in the 4x4 and 94% in the STI rally. Chuffed doesn't begin to describe how I feel :-)

In summary, do it, you won't regret it or forget the experience any time soon!

If anyone from Prodrive is listening, please pass on my thanks and respect for a great time to the excellent team you have there.

Steve.
Old 30 July 2003, 11:47 PM
BAH
Scooby Regular

Im going on the 30th August......your making me get all excited now.....
Old 31 July 2003, 09:27 AM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
BAH you wont be dissapointed at all i went 2 weeks ago and its was awesome. (even the 4X4)

Those instructors really know how to drive and i mean REALLY know!

And even though its not a spectator event my wife still had a great time as you get to take whoever is with you (if anyone has come with you)out in the 4x4 and even they get a passenger ride in the STIs after aswell.

LOL all i can remember is how white my wife face was when she got out of the car after her go round. She said she would never complain about my driving again.

NXG who did you get as the instructor, i was taken out by Pete Jackson. Top Bloke!

Mel.
Old 31 July 2003, 08:17 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

Mel,

I had Pete as an instructor as well !! On about my 3rd lap of the 1st round he went for the handbrake but didn't use it (just caught it!!) and was smiling when he said I had 'good speed into the corner'. I think he meant 'slow down nutter' !!

Anyway, as you say Top Bloke and a very good instructor. I was going around the track soooo much faster in the second round after thinking about and then applying what he'd told me in the first.

He gave us a hell of a ride at the end and the GF was still grinning after we left the track !!

Steve.
Old 31 July 2003, 10:41 PM
Hel
Scooby Regular

how much does a Prodrive Live ticket cost, is it all day or half a day, and where do you purchase them from

Thanks
Paul
Old 31 July 2003, 10:48 PM
BAH
Scooby Regular

Its a Boots experience day £315....
Old 31 July 2003, 11:40 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

sounds fun but over 3 hundred quid to drive a car that already own