Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2003, 07:50 PM
Dazza012
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi all,
Ok, im going to view a Scooby Turbo 2moro, and need some advice from u people,
Its a MY97 "P" std UK, not modded, but has 100k on the clock comes with FSH he's asking 6k ono for it.
ok, so what do i look out for rgds engine wise ? as i've never owned a turbo before, normally i would open the bonnet and go...oh yes that's the engine,
any tips would be apprciated.

Old 30 July 2003, 07:58 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

blue smoke from the exhaust means the turbo's shagged (I think - someone will correct me if I'm wrong)
Old 30 July 2003, 08:47 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Buyer beware! Take someone with you.I have known about a fair few people on scoobynet which have bought and the big end bearings were nackered or the turbo was tired
not trying to put you off just be weary........
some real dogs out there. Check it out before handing over your hard earned cash is all I can say! Buy with your head not your heart!
Old 30 July 2003, 09:20 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Check that there isnt a knocking from the engine, if there is then its a piston problem on the number 4 piston. This was a problem on all 96-97 uk cars and should have been fixed when they were recalled. But if it hasnt been fixed then subaru wont fix it under warranty cos of the high milage costs about £1000 i think. Also if you get a chance to get under the car, check the anti roll bushes they have a tendency to not last long if its been thrashed. Open the windscreen washer bottle top and see if there is an oil on top of the water, if there is then that could meen the head gasket has gone. Really you should pay for an AA or RAC inspection since it has a high milage and there is so much that will be getting ready to go wrong. The cam belt should have been changed every 50k as well so make sure it has.
Hope this helps

Cheers Marx
Old 31 July 2003, 01:25 AM
Dazza012
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thx's people, duly noted.
Old 31 July 2003, 02:45 AM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Buy with your head not your heart!
Probably the best words to listen to!!
The ammount of cars i have repaired that people have bought because they 'fell in love'

Rob

However, they arent all dogs out there.. deffo take someone with you mate.
Old 31 July 2003, 08:29 AM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Well I've just bought the missus a red wagon scooby with 137k on the clock ! But it's as straight as they come with a full subaru service history including cambelt in May this year. Bearing in mind its been on the road for 7 years, it's in great condition.

Needs rear bearings doing and needs an exhaust but that's the first thing to go when I buy a car anyway !

All this for £3,600. There are dogs out there, but there are diamonds too, just be wary. If in doubt...walk away, there WILL be another.

With that said, subarus generally last ages, there is actually a subaru high mileage club on the 'net, with cars over 300\400k on original engine !!!

All the best

Matt

Trending Topics

Old 31 July 2003, 10:33 AM
Paul Woodward
Scooby Regular

Get an AA inspection done, plus look out for clutch judder from cold, I bought one which was warm when I test drove it, but on the first morning of ownership realised the clutch was knackered, new clutch and flywheel needed, done under warranty as it was from a dealer, but private you have no comeback.
Old 31 July 2003, 10:37 AM
GaryScoobNCBR
Scooby Regular

if that fails im gonna be selling my uk98 turbo silver, air con

50k on the clock full subaru service history

Old 31 July 2003, 10:58 AM
BDDC
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Marx Mcrae I would be very worried if I found oil in the windscreenwasher bottle. LOL
Old 31 July 2003, 11:19 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

If anything it keeps your screen from sqeaking.
Old 31 July 2003, 12:14 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Well just got back, hmmmmmmmmm lets put it this way, pulled up looked on the garden, 3 cars parked on their, scooby was across the other side of the road, it appears he took it in as a trade in, UK car FSH, bodywork, well plenty of scratches, and a few dents in the rear passenger door, near side rear bumper just below the lights all the paint was peeling off, what was left of the t-cut around the scoop,vents,headlamp washers, door handles.. well all over really, came from "Triangle of Leicester" serviced by them untill 40k, then had various names stamped in the book,last 1 was at 60k, then over the page someone has done a big square with 910123, serviced and cambelt change..... asked to see the receipt for this and oh dear can't find it. Car started ok, no blue smoke, had a new header tank on her.
But made my excuses about having others to veiw and as they say "WALKED AWAY", safe in the knowledge that i ain't gonna buy that.

ok that's that sorted onto the next.......

[Edited by Dazza01 - 7/31/2003 12:16:34 PM]
Old 31 July 2003, 12:24 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

you'll pay a bit more but check out Subaru Approved used vehicles - you can check them on the website and then call the dealer for a test drive.

I got mine from an official subaru dealer, Osbornes... you know it's a sorted and you get 1 years warrenty for piece of mind incase it turns out to be dodgy. If you're nor sure what you're looking at I'd recommend it...