Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you prefer mental Grip or playful slip?

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2003, 03:03 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Sounds rude I know but which one would you prefer and why?

A Scoob that:

a) Stuck to the road like a limpet giving schumacher-esque levels of conering G. Allowing you to commit to corners knowing full well that she'll dig in and take you round The trade off being that If it does break away, you'll be doing mad mph and need Montoya-esque reactions to avoid the ditches

or

b) Was easily provoked (Well relativley anyway ) into drifts at lower speeds so that normal driving on the roads becomes a bit of a giggle, each roundabout a small challenge, each jct an opportunity to have some powerslidy, tailend outy action If you get it wrong, you'll only be doing 30mph so really quite easy to sort out. The downside of course is that ultimatley it wont be as quick as a "sorted" car and on track it's a bit frustrating.

Discuss

Mikey

By the way, i'm not advocating driving like a loon on public roads and also i do most of my slidy stuff when there is no danger of upsetting/hitting other road users. It is possible for example to wait until a roundabout is clear before sedatley sliding round
This has been posted, assuming an element of responsibility exists within you all
Old 29 July 2003, 03:06 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Both - they're only a tyre change away
Old 29 July 2003, 03:08 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

a) Stuck to the road like a limpet. Gotta love the G's , baby!
Old 29 July 2003, 03:20 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

With my level of driving skill I'll take a) safe in the knowledge that I won't exceed the cars abilities
Old 29 July 2003, 03:39 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Anymore takers for the playful slidy stance?

I mean grip is ok but a bit, well, er.........dull

Mikey <Off to put on a flamesuit >
Old 29 July 2003, 03:39 PM
Maddy
Scooby Regular

I'll take 'A' the very reason I bought her and she does the job nicley
Old 29 July 2003, 03:43 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

'A' on the road then push it to 'B' on a trackday

Trending Topics

Old 29 July 2003, 03:44 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

well i'm quite tempted to do the rear wheel drive thing in a few months but wood defo wana do a wetter the better stlyee course or sumin before i kill myself
Si
Old 29 July 2003, 03:47 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I prefer to have the car sliding under control than be gripping waiting for it to snap away without giving you a chance
Old 29 July 2003, 03:50 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yey

At last another vote for the controlled slidy thing

Mikey
Old 29 July 2003, 03:53 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Old 29 July 2003, 04:03 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Gridders- Interesting, as an ex-500bhp+ Cossie owner it would have to be the latter for sheer fun.

It was capable of throwing you off the road at any moment, the Impreza however wouldn't.

Powering out of roundabouts in the Cossie was an art, in the Impreza it's simple.

Both cars weren't used daily, had they been, then the Impreza would have been better.

The Cossie was bordering on dangerous something you couldn't say about the Impreza as it's such a good capable, well balanced car.

But the element of risk and danger wins for me.

Oh and there's that giggle that everybody seemed to adopt when they went in it compared to the "this is quick" they might say in the Impreza.

Old 29 July 2003, 04:08 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Have to go with the slide camp. Much prefer progressive loss of adhesion to "switch" type on/off deal. Prefer driving in the wet for the same reason.
Old 29 July 2003, 04:09 PM
ChrisB

b) I loved the Eagle F1s I replaced the SO2 PPs with. Less grip but superb for roundabout fun
Old 29 July 2003, 04:18 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

See how all the sliders are coming out to play Must be that time of day

So are you a slider or a gripper or should that be "Slipper or Gripper" for artistic stance

Mikey
Old 29 July 2003, 04:28 PM
Attu
Scooby Regular

I must admit i used to have more fun when i had the P-Zero's on,It would do all the things you said in the wet and in the dry it stuck like glue.
Now Ive got the Toyo's on it just sticks waht ever the weather...damn sight ssafer with the Toyo's though I span her twice with the P-Zero's in the wet....at slow speeds, never had a murmer with the Toyo's

Andy
Old 29 July 2003, 04:29 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Added to say, changing gear, steering and accelerating driving on hand-controls made it much more interesting
Old 29 July 2003, 05:08 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Buy a Skyline GTR and get both! With the four wheel steer and active diff you can either smoothly power out of a bend or if you get a bit snatchy with the throttle it allows you to slide out. All very clever stuff.
Aparently it looks at the speed of each wheel, throttle position, steering wheel position and two g-force meters before deciding about where the drive should be delivered and at what angle the back wheels should be at.
Old 29 July 2003, 05:11 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

mines grippy in the dry but can be very slidey in the wet

perfect!
i do prefere driving when its raining tho lol
slidey slidey
Old 29 July 2003, 05:15 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm another for a balanced and controllable slide, but ....... too much slide and too slow a speed wories me on public roads.

My previous Goodyear F1's and now my Toyo's slide nicely in the dry. Not enough to scare you silly, but enough to allow control and at least keep you in the right lane if you judge the speed right.

However the Toyo's are just scary in the wet. I've approached corners under 40mph and they've started to slide. Not just a few inches, but a couple of feet

They're so unpredictable that I've no idea how the car's gonna react in a corner when it's wet. That I don't like and unfortunately there's no where with a big enough run off that I could go and experiment on

If I had a set of tyres that could grip at 140mph+ on a 90 degree bend, I'd still have a lot of fun.

Stefan
Old 29 July 2003, 05:31 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Talking

beware of the corners
Si
Old 29 July 2003, 05:33 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

strange comments about toyos mind i luv 'em for grip in the wet after having had scarily poor rubber on initially & lost it in the wet
Si
Old 29 July 2003, 05:41 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Cool

No point in joining in here as Mikey knows I'm a gripper

Will however just echo Stefans view on Toyo's dodgy behaviour in the wet

I found them to be pretty good when there was a serious amount of water on the roads (good dispersal from cute tread pattern so very little aqua-planing going on) but when damp, these tyres were admittedly progressive but they just broke away too soon

Personally I think you a complete and utter ponce Gridlock and you should be buying the real grippy ones then sliding them about

Now that's what I call and er *cough* expensive

<Si... toddles off to tyre shop again>
Old 30 July 2003, 08:57 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers dude

Ponce hahaha Haven't been called that since i was at school

Interesting responses there guys, as I said before, obviously it's subjective. I thought about it last night and concluded that it depends on the sort of access you have to "decent" playing opportunities. Let me explain:
I live in a city so i'd say 70% of my driving is the stop start, gatso ridden, 30mph, speed bump hell, type. Occasionally i get to do a slip road onto the motor way and then sit in that traffic and then there's Charlie Whiskeys routes .
No it's not quite that bad but you get the idea. I therefore have to get my jollies out of the car, normally in a slow environment. I'm stuck with that so therefore I have gotten good at controlling the car and enjoying it whilst it's doing slow slippy stuff.
In the wet, the back end can be made to slide very easily if turning at a junction after waiting for traffic lights. Good fun, not dangerous, and under 30 mph. The same is true of roundabouts, the smaller the better and if cambered, well, what can i say .
As you can imagine, in the cities, there are very few sweeping corners but millions of traffic lights and roundabouts
Unfortunatley I don't get many opportunities to launch into a 90 left at 70mph, with nothing but a ditch to worry about
So there you have it. I like slippy cos it allows me to have more fun than grippy given my circumstances.

Anyone agree?

Now if i were a farmer!!!!

Mikey
Old 30 July 2003, 09:02 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Cool

Slide!!! DCCD helps (35:65 split), power oversteer on demand outta T junctions also the most fun I had recently was after swapping Bridgestone SO2PPs in 235/40/17 for Falken C.R.A.P.P.Y's on 225/35/18. Tail out all the time
Chuckycheese
Old 30 July 2003, 10:01 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If the car really grips well it means that the geometry set up is very good. With the bumpsteer removed and solid anti roll bar links, the Scoob is very grippy and neutrally balanced on F1's. It is also particularly good in the wet. If you are really in the mood though, you can get the rear to drift totally progressively with use of power which is immensely satisfying. I find the high G cornering very good like Sipie but also enjoy being able to drift it if I want,especially in the wet. It also does not wear the tyres out so badly.

Les
Old 30 July 2003, 10:52 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well I like both !
In an ideal world I would have a Scooby for those fast storming days secure in the knowledge that it will keep on gripping etc, and soemthing for the weekend such as a Catherham 7 which can go progressively sideways at a resonable speed - oh and having a laugh opposite locking it at junctions / roundabouts (sorry private roads).
Unfortunely can't afford to have both - yet !

Richard
Old 30 July 2003, 12:26 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

I'd like the choice Mikey

Only problem is UK cars don't come with DCCD-A

Old 30 July 2003, 12:32 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

That's cheating anyway

Mikey
Old 30 July 2003, 12:43 PM
jjm555
Scooby Regular

Got 2 Toyos fitted to front yesterday (only 2 in stock) back tyres a bit low. Went into a roundabout to test them a bit, a bit too much tho. Back end came sliding out, full left lock, got grip just before hitting the curb on the roundabout, and managed to 'gracefully' drive off!! Wife cacked her pants tho! The Toyos stuck nicely in the wet, so hopefully when the 2 are fitted to the back tomorrow I can have a bit more fun.

Quick Reply: Do you prefer mental Grip or playful slip?