Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tyres/dangerous pressure/deliberate?

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2003, 12:59 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Got a new set of Toyos on the wife's 172 a few weeks back. The local tyres-r-us outfit were happy to pricematch on the phone but once I got there were seriously shirty about the price I was paying.

Anyway, just got round to checking the pressures for the first time and two of the new tyres had more than 45psi in them! I'm no expert but I reckon that's blowout territory. Handling must have been dangerously compromised as they left the two offside tyres with 32psi, and the two nearsides with 45.

I'm more than a little mad about this, as this might have been done in some way as a snipe at me, but normally this car carries my two kids and 7-month pregnant missus...

Anyway, it's probably too late for any action now, but - and I suppose it's obvious - never take it for granted that the pressures are set any way near correctly... especially if you're getting a bigger discount than the monkey that's fitting them.

G
Old 28 July 2003, 01:39 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

When I picked up my WRX over 2 years ago from new, all the tyres were about 46psi !!! So make sure you check them wherever the car is from.

Dave
Old 28 July 2003, 02:10 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Dave - do you have a special filter that highlights any thread with "172" in the message body?

Gareth