Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Police and insurance check!

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2003, 11:54 AM
( R6 CDW )
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was pulled over on friday night, "first time in 6 years".

mr plod aked me some details about the car and where i live, To my suprise! he was able to tell me who was on my insurance policy.

Who was the main and named drivers.

Dont know if this is a new idea, ie: insurance and police working hand in hand, But i think it's a great idea, And hope that @ssholes driving without paying insurance get caught and nailed by mr plod.

chris
Old 27 July 2003, 12:00 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Yeh, this is relatively new. I think its called MID (motor insurance database). Basically, it allows the police to check if you have valid insurance on your vehicle without the need to give you a producer. a VERY good idea.

Also, coming into effect in the next few years is an MOT database of some description. Everytime your car goes for an MOT, it will be logged on computer with the mileage and the advisories given.

So, in future if your thinking about buying a used car, for a small fee you will be able to check the mileage with the old MOT records and see what advisories (sp?) were given.

I think the idea behind the MID is that currently cameras are being used to check reg numbers as the car passes and check if the vehicle is taxed. This might now also include an insurance check and before long an MOT check. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING!! Scary thought, what will they come up with next?

Edited for typos

[Edited by Boro - 7/27/2003 12:02:26 PM]
Old 27 July 2003, 12:03 PM
( R6 CDW )
Scooby Regular

I think the next step is to make everyone a police officer. LOL
Old 27 July 2003, 12:05 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

It won't show you someone driving the car on 3rd party insurance with the policyholder's permission, so won't ever replace the producer.
Old 27 July 2003, 12:09 PM
McScooby
Scooby Regular

....and it doesn't show everyone's details either.....and it's not always up to date
Old 27 July 2003, 12:12 PM
Attu
Scooby Regular

I was pulled over a few months ago also my first time in a few years and was amazed when they knew all my cars details.
At least it saves both their and our time having to sort out producers in 90% of cases.

Andy
Old 27 July 2003, 12:19 PM
spanner75
Scooby Regular

i was hit by a golf did this check for me as the bloke drove off he was not on there so they found him from the reg plate on the floor and charged him and i sued him to get my car fixed.

i think it is a good idea, will help us all.
Old 27 July 2003, 12:25 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

It won't show you someone driving the car on 3rd party insurance with the policyholder's permission, so won't ever replace the producer.
Sorry, you misunderstood my statement. The reason it WILL replace the producer (in the instance originally stated) is for this reason. Joe Bloggs is driving his own car, the police KNOW he is insured because of the MID, therefore they dont need to give him a producer (for insurance) MOT is another matter but thats coming soon as ive said.

If however, as you stated, you have allowed someone to drive YOUR car on their own insurance, this could in theory be checked by the MID too. If the driver doesnt have a car/insurance the police will know by the info not being on MID.

And as for not being uptodate, its not far behind real-time. You add a driver over the phone and within a day or two its updated on the MID.
Old 27 July 2003, 12:30 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Whos to say their insurance allows them to drive others cars third party though!
Old 27 July 2003, 12:35 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Whats the reason for a producer? To prove the car is insured and MOT'd right? These are only bits of paper, theres no reason why the police cant have access to insurance companies info and the MOT info within a few years and there wont be any need to issue producers.

Maybe a producer will be issued on the odd occassion when the MID/MOT databases are a couple of days behind or there is a dispute of the details but its going to reduce it by a whole load.

Plus the camera idea is already up and running, before we know there will be cameras everywhere checking covertly if we are taxed/insured and have a current MOT.
Old 27 July 2003, 12:35 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Hence the producer.
Old 27 July 2003, 12:45 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Big rother state, here we come. Next we will all be electronically tagged, and if we need to take a p1ss, we will have to pay for it.
While some of the moves re-insurance/mot etc area good thing ( i do not include road tax here, as the roads are a bloody disgrace, and the government dont deserve to get paid for them when they already steal so much money in tax from us ) , it will not stop un-insured drivers tho. It is naive of the government to think it will. They just want to know where we are, what we are doing at all times, so they can apply taxes or fines accordingly. Just another way to secure money from us. It will just mean easier use of revenue cameras for them, to the normal law abiding people.

[Edited by ustolemyname??stevieturbo - 7/27/2003 12:51:54 PM]
Old 27 July 2003, 12:48 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

OK BuRR, you win, i lose, youre right, im wrong Happy?
Old 27 July 2003, 12:51 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

lol- and there it is! the big brother post!

for all i care the police can stick GPS up my butt if it means they can catch idiots/criminals more effectivley.

wait till your mother/sister/wife/kid is mugged then moan about police access to data.

T
Old 27 July 2003, 12:53 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

True Tiggs, if you havent got anything to hide, you shouldnt have to worry about police having access to info (at the moment) unless they start sticking cameras in my back garden. There is a lomit to everything but i dont think were anywhere near it yet.
Old 27 July 2003, 01:20 PM
thecirsch
Scooby Regular

BTW, it's now possible to check if someone has a driving licence as well.

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, when MOT's become computerised, they'll also be available as well.
Old 27 July 2003, 02:00 PM
( R6 CDW )
Scooby Regular

Getting a bit heated! I do think however!, that the system they are using is a good start, And i'm another with nothing to hide so geting a tug now and again dosen't bother me.

Lets hope the uninsured also get a tug too!!!