ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

inflatable roof racks....

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2003, 06:38 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I know it sounds wierd, but does anyone know where these things come from - the ones that are two inflatable tubes, which run accross the roof of the car.
Are they any good?
The reason I ask, is that I'm getting into windsurfing, and although the board & mast will fit inside my wagon, I figured it would be better if I didn't screw up the seats & soak them in salty water, mud, sand etc etc....

I don't really want roof bars, as I heard it was a bit of a job to fit them, and I don't really like them anyway!

Do any other racks exist for a '93 wagon, that don't require roof bars (of the lengthways kind).

Many thanks in advance.
C.
Old 26 July 2003, 06:50 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

here's one.... http://www.familyonboard.com/inflatable_roof_rack.html
Old 27 July 2003, 09:02 AM
Treacle
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hey there,have you visited www.fincontrol.com , this is the fin control system (FSC) website (make loads of products for surfboards)they do a 'soft rack'. This consists of 2 padded straps that you wrap around the roof of your car (with the doors open)and tighten inside the cabin . I use them on hire cars when i go abroad for holding surfboards. Only problem is when it rains water can run down the webbing straps and onto your leg / or seat. I've not tried them on the scooby yet as my board fits in with the seats folded down and i'm unsure how the frameless door windows will cope being slammed shut against the straps. Well worth trying out IMO. Good luck with the windsurfing.
Old 29 July 2003, 06:40 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hey Treacle,
are those ones any good for carrying anything else, or just boards? Although it's only boards I want to carry at the moment, I have the occasional need to take other stuff on the roof as well. How does the board get fastened down?

I shall look again. Thanks for that.
Old 29 July 2003, 08:24 PM
Treacle
Scooby Regular

Talking

attatched to the padded straps, on top, is another loop, externally tightened . You fit your stick through this loop and tighten it onto the padded strap that is tightened through the car roof. Complicated to explain, but really very simple in design . They're only useful to attatch items that you can fit through the webbing loops (surf boards).Try visiting some surf shops in aberdeen, there should be some . The racks are called 'soft racks' by fcs.
Good luck
Old 30 July 2003, 07:07 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

I haven't seen any in Aberdeen. I'm in Liverpool at the moment, anyway, and there are plenty around here. I shall have a look. It sounds good to me anyway, so I'll seek one out.

Thanks for that.
C.