Sponsored by:

Mazda RX-8 vs WRX

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2003, 08:39 PM
Nigeyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Having Read What Car / Jap Perf this month, would you consider a Mazda RX-8 over a WRX PPP?

Why / Why Not?

Nigeyboy

Old 17 July 2003, 09:49 PM
WRX_BLUES
Scooby Regular

A WRX!

Because an RX8 sucks up more juice than a WRX!!!
That's pretty impressive when you consider the WRX isn't exactly reknowned for being particularly fuel economical!

[Edited by WRX_BLUES - 7/17/2003 9:50:37 PM]
Old 18 July 2003, 01:07 AM
( R6 CDW )
Scooby Regular

EH! MAZDA EH SCOOB! WHAT CDAR U DRIVE? EH SCOOB!.

OK THEN MAZDA IS OK, BUT IM SURE ITS A WASHING POWDER TOO.
Old 18 July 2003, 01:11 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Talking

scoob anyday

gav..
Old 18 July 2003, 10:51 AM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

Dont like the look of the RX8 ...... the old RX7 was cool but this new thing isnt. Nice seats though
Old 18 July 2003, 10:55 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Would love to try the RX8 - looks a monster to me, and a lot more Q than the scoob now is.

Suicide doors too - how cool is that
Old 18 July 2003, 11:05 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I'll have an RX8 if it comes in Sonic blue
Old 18 July 2003, 11:22 AM
Maddy
Scooby Regular

I was lucky enough to sit in a $100,000 proto-type of the RX8 , very stylish and a grown up version of the MX5 but the engine still sounded pants. The interior and cockpit was nice but I did feel a little claustrophobic at times. The handling is improved over the RX7 but due to all the regulation for emmisions and safty I feel that it's not an overall improvement on the raw aggresiveness of the RX7, but maybe the wankel engine will be more reliable.

It will be exclusive when it first comes out but tbh would prefer the new ITR for looks and handling and more in your face, The RX8 will probably give the AUDI TT a run for it's money.

The claimed 0-60 for the RX8 is 5.9 with a top speed of 148mph this is for the 230bhp version, but to get those kind of 60 times I would expect perfect condition tarmac and a perfect weather and a very good driver, Relistically I would say the common person in normal road conditions will be lucky to acheive 60 within 7 secs. Best of all the RX8 has a 50/50 weight distribution which will mean it can handle well and very accurate.

As for comparing it against a scoob I would say the scoob is in a higher league table. Scoob = more Grip & Power.

looking forward to seeing the '8's on the road

Maddy

[Edited by Maddy - 18/07/2003 11:26:01]
Old 18 July 2003, 11:37 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hmm RX7 is still trying to tempt me away from scooby
Si
Old 18 July 2003, 12:48 PM
Nigeyboy
Scooby Regular

Iguess my view is that the Scoob is now a dated design (I have a MY02 WRX, btw) both inside/outside and the image seems to be suffering a bit (well a lot, really).

The RX8 has wow factor and apparently a good drive, if not in
Impreza league (I assume).

As I might be looking for a new car back end of this year, don't know if I'd go for another Scoob or not?

Nigeyboy
Old 18 July 2003, 01:10 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Why is a car that is rear wheel drive, powerful and with nice handling characteristics automatically in a "different league" to the scoob? The RX-8 should be a storming car that is genuinely original. Power at wheels will be higher than the WRX, and possibly than the STI dependent upon power train losses. Some would argue that being RWD, it will be a better driving experience too.

Brand affinity is one thing people, but this is bordering on an obsession

Go on, someone's got to say "but in the twisties". It's a tradition, or an old charter or something
Old 18 July 2003, 01:23 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

I'm looking forward to trying the RX8 "in the twisties" (Happy now?)

That assumes that Northwood Garage don't tell me I'm too young to drive it - like they told me for the Honda S2000
Old 18 July 2003, 01:48 PM
Maddy
Scooby Regular

Think I'm too obsessive with the scoob I've driven a lot of fast cars but there something that I admire about the scoob that other cars haven't given me. IMHO i'm still standing my ground and saying that a prodrived Impreza is in a higher league than the RX8 but that's not to say that I don't think the '8' is a bl00dy good car.

Being Opinionated is healthy!.

Maddy

[Amended due to a bad choice of wording - p.s I don't have a sheep fetish honest ]

[Edited by Maddy - 18/07/2003 14:11:16]
Old 18 July 2003, 01:56 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

in the twisties
I'm happy now - but you missed off the TM symbol

something that I loath about the scoob that other cars haven't given me
You loath it? Freudian sheep there?

Don't get me wrong, the scoob is utterly grin-tastic and I can't think what I'd change my WRX 03 wagon for short of an RS6 avant, but I think the RX8 has the potential to be a truly stunning car
Old 18 July 2003, 03:03 PM
[Chris]
Scooby Regular

Friend of mine has put a deposit down on one - I'll put a post up when he gets it.
Old 18 July 2003, 04:46 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Being used to 4-pots when I first considered a Scoob the boxer engine gave me nightmares since I like to be able to work on the car and do as much as possible myself when things need doing (although I'd never try mapping the ECU or rebuilding the block etc!).

I soon discovered that the boxer engine ain't so bad after all, plug changes are relatively easy and most parts are no less accessible than an I4, some actually more accessible.

That rotary engine on the other hand ... OK it's a bit of a null point considering the car prolly has a three year warranty but still! I'm totally speculating cos I've absolutely no experience of rotary engines but I can only assume it's a total nightmare for anyone used to normal 4-stroke I4, H4, I6, V6 etc layouts?

Not enough to put me off the car completely, but certainly a sticking point. Also I like having AWD, would probably go for a Skyline before the Mazda if I wanted a quick coupe.
Old 19 July 2003, 10:07 AM
MarkWRX
Scooby Regular

Well Ive got one of the first RX8 on order, due in October.

Im trading in my STi7 for it. Whilst I know it is not as fast in a straight line, the Rx8 has a lot of things going for it and Im really looking forward to it.

It looks great IMHO, has a great interior, fantastic spec for the money (18"s, Bose stereo, Xenons, Leather, etc), Suicide doors, and 230bhp rotary engine which hopefully will be easily tuned to 250bhp plus. And its RWD and weighs less than a scoob. Its also had a lot of great early press reviews, and hopefully wont loose £10k in the first year like my STi has.

Having recently had an S2000 for a weekend test drive, I really want an RWD car again. I had so much fun in the Honda I almost bought it there and then and cancelled the RX8.

Yes the scoob is fast and has loads of grip, but you cant drive it to its limits on a normal road and I dont find it very exciting any more. Plus its ugly, has a poor interior, people want to nick em all the time and is getting an increasing boy racer image IMHO.

Scoobs are still great cars, but for me its time to move on and I cant wait until October.

Check out www.rx8forum.com

Old 19 July 2003, 10:40 AM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

Agree with Paul_m regarding the rotary engine.

A mate of mine was looking for a second hand RX7 a couple of years ago, a suprisingly high number of the cars for sale were boasting complete engine rebuilds!

I know the rotor tip design is supposedly improved on the RX8 but I would not like to be of the guinea pigs the fork out +£20K and find out.

Rich
Old 19 July 2003, 12:10 PM
4rotor
Scooby Newbie

Hi all,

Glenn here from the www.mazdarotaryclub.com. Great to see you guys are interested in the RX-8. I saw one yesterday on the road here in Sydney, see: http://www.mazdarotaryclub.com/forum...8&referrerid=1 gotta say (I'm biased of course) but I think they look great on the road.

As for engine concerns, the turbo rotary hasn't been all that great in the past, but the non-turbo has been very reliable for many years. And with the newer technology - it should be even better now.

As for those who aren't sure about the engine sound, check these vids out: http://www.cityperformancecentre.com...stein_rx-7.htm a little bit of work and your engine can sound similar!

The RX-8 handles better than the FD RX-7 which is really saying something, I'm sure they are going to make a great track car! the best thing is that they will rev hard to 9000rpm all day long - effortlessly.

[Edited by 4rotor - 19/07/2003 12:19:20]
Old 19 July 2003, 04:04 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

I would welcome any car which moves the game on. It forces manufacturers to sell cheaper/better/faster cars. If there is more choice then they have to do more. 10 years ago how many cars had aircon/abs/cd players/airbags/etc etc. Now most new mid range family cars have these as standard. Standard specs are getting better all the time. Its a cut throat market and they are all trying to out do each other. Can only be good news for us folks.
Old 01 August 2003, 10:11 PM
p.deruyter
Scooby Newbie

Having owned 4, yes 4 Rotary Mazdas i can comment on their reliability with some experiance. They are VERY reliable cars, and i would go so far as to say they are more reliable when driven like for like. In the UK however, the bigger problem is finding competant professional people to maintain them. Stateside and down under their is no shortage of professional passionate rotorphiles. Witness Mazdas unrivalled motorsport success at the Bathurst production car races in the early to mid 90`s. And lets not forget Mazda was the ONLY victor at Le MAns despite many efforts by the bigger funded Japanese Toyota, Nissan and Honda teams. Once youve driven a Rotary, theres no going back.
Old 01 August 2003, 10:18 PM
mikelmr
Scooby Regular

You have to admit Toyota were pretty unlucky not to win at Lemans and the 787B had a weight advantage over the opposition as they presumed the rotary would be unreliable and so allowed it a weight advantage (bet they wished they hadn't)

Mike (FB Driver )
Old 01 August 2003, 10:25 PM
slasha
Scooby Regular

I saw and sat in a RX8 at Goodwood and although don't even see it in the same league as the 350Z i've got on order for October, i would buy it before the new WRX. My problem is that i've got a MY99 Scooby which i just can't imagine life without and the new shape Scooby just doesn't do it for me. Believe this or not but i am seriously considering cancelling the Z and keeping my Scooby.
Old 02 August 2003, 12:04 AM
AlanS
Scooby Regular

I had an RX7 for 12 months and they were lethal in the wet. Back end all over the place. But great in the dry though.

The sti pisses all over it in every department.
Old 02 August 2003, 10:50 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

that's my only concern with getting an RX7 but i wood spend the extra money on track days & Don palmer etc
Si
Old 02 August 2003, 03:12 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Question

Can I get my grandaughters buggy in, grandaughter, son, sons mate, and a weeks shopping! if yes i might consider it.
Old 02 August 2003, 03:32 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Si, it depends what you are after, if you want a car that does everything for you stick with a scoob or similar. If you want to actually do something other than turn the steering wheel with your right foot mashed to the floor I'd recommend the RX-7.

You have to use some common sense when driving one, but on good UK tyres (not what they use in Japan which is lethal on our roads) it has pretty good grip, even in the wet.

Everyone is different, but I've had mine since last December and despite spending a small fortune on it have never considered selling it, in fact I can't think of anything for sensible money I'd rather have (wouldn't mind an old sti for winter time and an S2000 for the rare sunny day to go with it mind ). Given I had my Impreza for sale within about a month of buying it new, I think that says it all.

RX8 is lacking in the power department for me, but without having driven either of them I'd be inclined to go for one over a WRX PPP.
Old 02 August 2003, 03:32 PM
mikelmr
Scooby Regular

The sti pisses all over it in every department.
appart from looks

Family saloon + plastic body kit and big wheels doesn't make for a very pretty car in my honest opinion.

Mike

[Edited by mikelmr - 8/2/2003 3:35:39 PM]
Old 20 August 2003, 02:47 PM
Contigo
Scooby Regular

Well it was on pulling power last night and the power curve looks fantastic. So free revving and hits 68mph in second gear.

I drove the S2000 all last weekend and just loved having that power curve and rear wheel drive. Can't wait for October when I collect my 8

Old 20 August 2003, 02:53 PM
Vate
Scooby Regular

Supposed to have one of the best gear changes on any road car due to the very light weight of the transmission etc.

Quick Reply: Mazda RX-8 vs WRX