Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That Magic ECU port under the steeting column ?

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2003, 09:06 PM
monstermunch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Topic: That Magic ECU port under the steeting column ? was suppose to be steering but i have fat fingers sorry.

Just a few questions...hoping someone can help.

(Question 1)

Is the ECU port (Under the steering column) for monitoring purposes only or can it be used to change ECU parameters, i.e remapping.

(Question 2)

I know SECS is supposed to be a wonderful product for monitoring your engine, but.. are there any other products on the market that do the same thing but cheaper.

i.e software you can run on your laptop or palm /ppc that graphs performance , shows temp and boost etc.

(Last question)

If the answer is Yes to question 2 , does anyone use this software and how accurate and reliable is it.

TIA

MM

[Edited by monstermunch - 11/07/2003 21:09:07]
Old 11 July 2003, 09:09 PM
Scoobydick
Scooby Regular

Check this..... ECUTEK

[Edited by Scoobydick - 11/07/2003 21:10:00]
Old 11 July 2003, 09:19 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Is the ECU port (Under the streeing column) for monitoring purposes only or can it be used to change ECU parameters, i.e remapping.
Yes, it can remap. That's how Ecutek works.

I know SECS is supposed to be a wonderful product for monitoring your engine, but.. are there any other products on the market that do the same thing but cheaper.
It's not strictly "on the market", but if you have an MY97/98 car, AndrewC's kit will do most of what SECS does for less than £40 as long as you've got a small amount of experience assembling printed circuit boards. A few of us are trying to map the communications protocols of the newer ECU's, so with a bit of luck, the same cheap monitor will be possible for the newer cars at some point.

i.e software you can run on your laptop or palm /ppc that graphs performance , shows temp and boost etc.
DeltaDash (from Ecutek) will do that, but IIRC the software and the necessary interface and license dongle are more expensive than a SECS.

The New Age cars are also OBDII compliant, so any third party ODBII scan tool or interface/software package should theoretically do the job, although they probably won't be able to access some of Subaru's proprietary information.

If the answer is Yes to question 2 , does anyone use this software and how accurate and reliable is it.
Not used the live version (yet!), but it should be totally accurate. It receives the info from the ECU and convert it to "real" numbers via simple calculations. Thus, no reason why it should be anything other than c*ck on...
Old 11 July 2003, 09:26 PM
monstermunch
Scooby Regular

Delta Dash monitoring, very nice...Thanks, don't suppose anyone knows if by using only the monitoring tool that it does'nt effect your subaru warrenty.

I would expect monitoring would'nt but remapping would... ?