No P1 yet, but got a Scooby anyway !

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2003, 10:47 AM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi all,

Posted a few weeks ago about a P1, and I'm still looking to get one although I have a running dispute with Jaguar to resolve first - don't get me started !

Anyhoo, last night I bought a UK spec 1996 Scooby for the missus !
It does have 132k on it, but a full Subaru history with an £800 service in May which included cambelt.
It needs a little TLC, and I'm looking forward to giving it to it !

Couple of questions though, this is to be an everyday for the missus (with the added bonus that I won't mind driving it - unlike the Festa it replaced !) so I'm gonna keep it standard. Oh, with the obvious exception of stainless exhaust and air filter - helping the car to breathe is good common sense...(well the missus believes me...)

But, if the engine goes pop, how much is a replacement ?
And the same for the Turbo ? These are my only concerns as it has done 136k, and I'd like an idea in advance of what it might cost. That said, it drives without problem !

I'm looking forward to tomorrow - it's full of cleaning, polishing, buffing, fixing, stereo upgrading, etc etc etc.

Cheers all

Matt

Old 11 July 2003, 11:03 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

A 2 Scoob family in the making

I'd not worry too much about the milage. As long as the servicing is done right, you shouldn't have a problem.

I would be careful about filters and induction kits - the oil stuff on the filters can gunge up the MAF sensor in the airbox. It's easy but annoying to have to keep cleaning the damn thing (you can clean old style MAFs...) I ditched a Ramair filter for this reason.

You can often find 2nd hand bits in the for sale section here. Including engines and turbos, usually for sensible money. There's plenty of assistance & knowledge available too... It's helped me out loads.
Old 11 July 2003, 11:08 AM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Cheers DNB,

Yup, I'm well pleased with it. I think these forums are invaluable, I'm a regular over on the MR2 boards as I have a very modified MR2 turbo as my 'weekend car'.

Thanks for advice, I'll check out the for sale section.

Matt
Old 11 July 2003, 11:53 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

I keep threatening my Scoob with mods, but then I get dragged into doing house DIY... One day maybe Scoobs do sound better with a nice stainless exhaust. My other half even agreed on this once - then changed her mind when I wanted to spend money

Mine's a daily driver as well, so I wouldn't want to go too mad either. I'm probably teaching egg sucking here, but regular oil changes are a good idea, especially with the short runs associated with daily drives.

I should add that maybe the panel filter issues have been dealt with - I just don't trust them too much now. (Probably just me being paranoid...) I'll upgrade the intake system when it doesn't flow enough air for the engine, not before.
Old 11 July 2003, 03:58 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

My friend's flatmate has a MY97 that has done over 145k miles. He's wound the boost right up, and drives it really hard. It's still not gone pop yet

Andy
Old 11 July 2003, 04:28 PM
Re-Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Uh-oh... "He's wound the boost right up"... PLEASE don't tell me he's put a boost control valve thing with a **** on it that allows you to "adjust" the boost . Otherwise it'll last a few thousand miles at best before it expires [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img].

R
Old 11 July 2003, 09:43 PM
j_p_h
Scooby Regular

I get the feeling though sideheads m8 thinks its going to go pop. So in thinking hes turned it up so he can have some fun before it goes bang.

A bit silly really if im correct as these cars can run for a lot higher mileage with over standard power if looked after.