Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to purchase from *for sale* forum...

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2003, 08:50 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If one party lives in north England and the other in south England, whats the best, safest and fairest way to get the goods for sale and money transacted?
there are hundreds of items sold on there, surely you cant ALL meet up?

Andy...
Old 09 July 2003, 08:57 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Smile

There's a lot of trust involved. I have bought and sold loads of stuff on here, and most are fine. The normal deal is to send someone a check, they send the goods when they get it, and cash the cheque at the same time.

If you both have addresses and phone numbers then there's some security involved. Some people insist on picking stuff up, which is ok if you find a suitable public meeting place

The ones to trust are generally people who have a lot of posts and are well known on the board. I never buy stuff off people with a couple of posts.

MB
Old 09 July 2003, 10:28 AM
Shark
Scooby Regular

It's worked for me a couple of times, but I don't trust anyone regardless of their post count. For me buyer collects and pays cash - it's the only way to be sure !

David
Old 09 July 2003, 10:33 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

for the stuff I have bought , I get a bank a/c and sort code off the seller and do a bank transfer. When that clears (usually 3 days) they send the stuff.

Seems to work. If there is any problem I can find them through their bank details, they are guaranteed against rubber cheques etc.

Steve
Old 09 July 2003, 05:57 PM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

Same as Steve, when I bought off Fulham71 I got his bank details and xferred the money to his account, this cleared almost instantly and he sent the goods.

As others have said it is pure trust, I sold a car on Sunday and the lad couldn't get cash so again we went for a xfer. He had taken the car whilst the cash was going though the system but I did check his aco**** first to confirm he had the funds.

Kev
Old 15 July 2003, 11:59 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Bought and sold here a few times, you get to learn the names of trustworthy people, add their name to your VIP list and then search through their posts, if they seem to be sensible or just post shyte then you can make your own mind up...
Old 15 July 2003, 12:17 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

just post shyte
That's me fekked then..!!

Trending Topics

Old 15 July 2003, 12:32 PM
Attu
Scooby Regular

I usualy try to pick things up in person but only because im to impatiant to wait for anything
If i cant pick them up ill send a cheque but i wouldnt expect the items to be sent untill the cheque had cleared...neither would i send anything untill a cheque had cleared.

Andy
Old 15 July 2003, 12:44 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yeah as Attu says nowt wrong with a cheque as long as you make sure it clears & both parties know there will be a wait while this happens (so no FAO.. where r me goods threads[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img])
I've done this & had this done as well as buying in the flesh with cash in car park & also have been lucky enough to come across a trusting type who sent me goodies without me even having sent cheque off, must be all my vastly knowledgable helpful friendly posts lol
Si
PS still eager for new & improved for sale section thou
Old 15 July 2003, 02:44 PM
The Gilly
Scooby Regular

am currently breaking a car and as we speak a chap from here is taking parts off it outside my house.

Now that's trust!

I've been 'knocked' by someone on another website and currently taking them to court. Failing that a personal visit from a friend will be arranged.

I generally don't trust anyone, but I met Rich (the guy at my house) and he paid me up front without me asking and promptly gave me the spoiler I was taking in part ex.

Just keep your eyes and ears out and if you smell a rat make sure you ask for more information and proof of identity (another buyer has just sent me a fax copy of his tracker statement)................