ATTN : All - Re : Mycroft

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2003, 12:28 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Hi All

Unfortunately we have reached a point where it is clear that Mycroft is unable to simply be a part of the community. I can post countless examples of this, but I am sure most of you will know.

For this reason a decision has been made to ban him from scoobynet.

There are of course other people who should be considered, but the recent postings from Mycroft have simply pushed us beyond the point where toleration ends.

So..

Mycroft will be banned from scoobynet today unless there are some seriously valid and reasoned objections from the community.

I do not want to see a long drawn out post from Mycroft. I do not want to see a post from Pepper. They have both said as much as is needed on the subject.

But please make your feelings on the subject known in a very short and simple manner.

ScoobyNet will not tolerate the detrimental and anti-community conduct to the level of Mycroft's.

Regards

webmaster
Old 27 June 2003, 12:34 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've obviously missed something here, who's mycroft?

Is there anything to stop him/her registering with a different user name?
Old 27 June 2003, 12:36 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

661 posts & you've never seen mycroft blimey do a search for soarer & i'm sure you'll find him
Si
Old 27 June 2003, 12:37 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Chris

Let us worry about the technical / legal side.

I don't think it would be fair to just post up examples, but if it is really necessary, I will ask the moderators to dig them out for you.

All the best

Simon
Old 27 June 2003, 12:38 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Question

LOL

beat me to it.

[Edited by johnfelstead - 6/27/2003 12:39:33 PM]
Old 27 June 2003, 12:38 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Ban him and hes won.

if only people would learn to ignore him, he'd get bored and go elsewhere.

Deano
Old 27 June 2003, 12:40 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Mycroft will not have won if we ban him, but even if he feels he's won, I'll wish him well with it in the knowledge that scoobynet will be a better place.

regards

Simon

[Edited by webmaster - 6/27/2003 12:40:58 PM]
Old 27 June 2003, 12:41 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I think I've missed something too.

I know Mycroft was annoying and full of crap, but does that justify banning? I've never seen him be openly hostile (condescending yes, hostile no), he isn't offensive (just irritating) and his posts are entertaining in a perverse kind of way.

There are people here who post much more offensive stuff or are more argumentative in a hostile way that don't get banned.

Like I say, I may have missed something, but I'm suprised at his banning which appears to be based more on a personal dislike rather than a particular breach of the rules (detrimental to the community is a broad brush and could no doubt be applied to the majority of members at some point in their posting career).

This is sad, I'm even sticking up for the misguided fool
BMW bikes
Scooby Regular

Mycroft is a joker just light hearted amusment I think he is a good reminder for people to not take scoobynet to seriously why ban him as far as trolls go he is a funny one.
jjones
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

that stinks.
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Apology to the ScoobyNet community

I would just like to add, that I apologise to the community (but not to mycroft) for letting my emotions get the better of me when responding to him in some of his recent threads. I'm sure you can all understand the frustrations, but I think this is a more professional way to go about it. I will endeavour to keep myself in check in future.

Again i apolgisse to any whom i may have offended.

Best regards

Paul Habgood
Old 27 June 2003, 12:44 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

mycroft had a different point of view and made good reading and provoked some good debates.

so being banned for having a different point of view and then maybe just a little winding up of the scoobynet sheep.

sad, sad day and a dangerous precedent

did he say P*K*Y or something?

Old 27 June 2003, 12:46 PM
Beemer_Deano
Scooby Regular

I have seen him around, and thought he was funny (laughing AT, not with ) but not really seen enough to judge him as bannable? He seemed about the same level as some other wakners were before Scoobynet "assimilated" them

I know it risks fanning his ego, but could someone please post links to his direst deeds if it's not too much trouble?

Thanks,

Deano
Old 27 June 2003, 12:48 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

The recent comments about "cancer being natures way of dealing with the weak" and a few others along those lines are the straws that broke the camels back.

His attacks (no matter how nasty or not nasty) are usually aimed directly at individuals, or the community, very rarely are they are anyone outside the community. I do not recall seeing a single positive and supportive post from him. Regardless of whether he HAS posted these, the fact I cannot remember a single one, but can remember many negative ones says something in itself.

There are a number of other people who are under scrutiny. It takes a lot for us to ban someone. Usually it requires the long drawn out abuse of the forums, not just single cases of stupidity, we're all guilty of that. But once it's reached a point of no return you have to accept that this person could pop up at any time and post something as nasty and insulting as the things they do from time to time.

Regards

Simon
Old 27 June 2003, 12:48 PM
ChrisB

Last night he posted a number of jokes and made offensive comments about people suffering from cancer.

They were not "light hearted ammusment" or "an alternative point of view" but just down right offensive to anyone who has had cancer be part of their life.

Chris.
Old 27 June 2003, 12:50 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Angry

Edited out as was not aware of the cancer jokes bit...

[Edited by SiPie - 6/27/2003 12:55:56 PM]
Old 27 June 2003, 12:50 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Don't agree with this decision.
He is an active member of my forum, and will always be welcome there.

Simon can call me for more.

Cem
Old 27 June 2003, 12:56 PM
-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Hope you decide not to ban him, I often enjoy his threads as I enjoy reading the evergreen PS Lewis and used to like MarkO's stuff.

Surely its simpler just to delete the threads?

I haven't ever been offended by anything I've ever read on a BBS - there is much more to be offended at in the outside world every day. I'd like him to stay but its your board.

Old 27 June 2003, 12:56 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

i would echo the previous views above that when i've come across his rantings & such like that they have just been in no way offensive & just fishing for an arguement/wind up at best although he does seem to have some technical knowledge if not a lot of subtlety But the cancer type comments as hinted etc at would seem a bit OTT at best so can understand a bit more about how that can be seen as the last straw!
But i will miss him in part at least for the lessons he gave people in how not to let it lie
Si
Old 27 June 2003, 12:57 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

Ive not been on here long but he seems like a plonker who is just here to wind folk up.

and he goes to far.
Old 27 June 2003, 12:59 PM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

Well as I am "Under a warning" at the moment don't think that y opinion is very valid.

However, for what it's worth. I sometimes post things without thinking of the content and therefore get my wrists slapped.

I can't really comment on Mycroft's posts as I have no real knowledge of them but I am sure that Simon and the mods have discussed thisat length before reaching this decision and we should all respect the decision that they have come to.

Banning is a little harsh but I guess that without a 10 minute delay on his postings so that they can be checked then this is the only way forward forthe BBS to keep it on an even keel.

Just my humble and probably undeserved opinion.

Jason.

LG John
Scooby Regular

There are a number of other people who are under scrutiny
I'm worried now

I'm not sure about banning him to be honest! He is a pain to many people but then I know for a fact that a lot of people really can't be ar$ed with what I have to say and similarly a lot of peoples posts I wont read because I just don't like what they write/say. Its the same in all walks of life: you get introduced to say 5 new people and there will be one you don't get on with, one you really do get on with and 3 that are just good company

That said, comments like that about cancer could be deeply offensive to a great many people and perhaps do justify a banning.
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Seems like a waste of space to me, I just wish you guys were a little more active about abusive users etc. Banning is a useful tool IMO.
Old 27 June 2003, 01:01 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

"cancer being natures way of dealing with the weak"
IMHO that statement is enough for a ban, that's just sick and anyone who thinks like that obviously hasn't seen the devistating affects of cancer on someonoe they love [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I know everyone's entitled to their own opinion but opinions like that shouldn't be welcome on Scoobynet.

Chris
Old 27 June 2003, 01:04 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Cem, regardless of how he conducts himself on your forum, he is a wind-up merchant pure and simple in his Scoobynet incarnation. It shouldn't earn him a ban in an ideal world, however there are some very sensitive/insecure souls on Scoobynet and Mycroft generates alot of ill feelings here.
Chuck
Old 27 June 2003, 01:04 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Hi All

Many of you will remember a number of times (Mycroft included) where I have asked for comment to support my views, and classed the majority that posted as a "majority opinion".

It seems to me that the majority do not think that Mycroft's behavior is worthy of a ban. So (Contrary to popular statement) I am also happy to accept a majority under the same terms in oposition to my view / decision. It is YOUR community after all.

I personally feel that the comments on cancer should not be tolerated under any circumstances. But I will listen to you all.

So.. If the majority decision is that it would be wrong to ban mycroft at this point we will not ban him today.

But. There needs to be absolutely no mistake.

If the continual anti-community spirit continues and mycroft does not become a part of the community rather than a constant attacker of it, or if he posts one more single highly offensive post similar to the one mentioned above he will be banned without warning and potentially further action taken. There will be no "technicalities" taken in to account. No "he said this so I said that", no "I didn't actually mean it like that". We are all grown up enough to know what the real deal is.

The decision is not made either way about what will happen today. The decision is in your hands and I will do as you wish.

Best regards

Simon
Old 27 June 2003, 01:05 PM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'm dead and only Simon told me... cheers for that Simon... if you hadn't E-mailed me I might have just carried on not knowing of my demise... imagine the Social stigma of going to the shops and not being served 'cos I was dead... just like Doc Daneeka in Catch 22...

Simon
It is entirely your choice if you wish to ban me... I stand as I am and have always been and will never change... if I were in your position and I wasn't me then I'd ban me for being me... I have always walked against the flow where-ever I have been... and possibly my worst 'sin' in others minds is that I make no apology for this... ever.

Do as you will, I never bear malice unless dogged around by members still 'aggrieved' over being trashed by me... then, frankly, all bets are off...

[Edited by Mycroft - 6/27/2003 1:06:55 PM]
Old 27 June 2003, 01:05 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

About time. He just spouts crap 99% of the time.
Old 27 June 2003, 01:06 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I hadn't seen the cancer comments, and yes, in that case he has definately overstepped the mark. Maybe you should offer him a deal: public apology to those he offended and a promise to behave and he's back in? That would be an interesting measure of the man...
Old 27 June 2003, 01:07 PM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Angry

Cancer is not a joke, he's stepped over the line, **** him
I dont car wether he's won or lost or better than me, dont even car how he behaves on other forums, hes made his bed!!!

Quick Reply: ATTN : All - Re : Mycroft