Newbie Questions. Fuel and air filters.

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2003, 05:15 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi Everybody.
I have, at last, got my first Scoob. ) So this is my first post on ScoobyNet.
I have just bought a 1997 UK Impreza Wagon.

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind:

1. I have read several conflicting articles about running UK Imprezas on standard unleaded fuel. Should I be at least running it on SUL or Optimax (or octane booster)? Also, if I change to SUL or Optimax do I then have to continue running on these fuels or in emergency can I revert back to regular unleaded? What about re-setting the ECU? Can this be done by disconnecting the battery for a period of time?

2. Air filters/induction kits. Again, Iv'e read conflicting info on this matter. Which is better a replacement performance panel filter or an induction kit (K&N etc), I'm interested in any minor BHP gains rather than induction noise or anything? Is it worthwhile even adding an improved air filter if I can not upgrade the exhaust yet?

Any help much appreciated.
Sorry If these are repeat questions.

Cheers

Brett
For some inexplicable reason I feel the urge to go for a nice sensible drive in the country!

Old 25 June 2003, 05:20 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Hi Brett

Expect this one to go on for a while. There are so many different views and it's down to you really. For power most people these days are finding that standard airboxes and better than induction kits and that a drilled airbox and decent panel filter produce the best results

There are also mixed views on fuel but my advice would be to run either super or optimax like you said and see which one you think feels better.

Paul
Old 25 June 2003, 07:24 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

my tuppnth

normal unleaded & normal air filter

it aint ever going to be a monster, but it will give you fun

Mart
MY96 wagon ( want more burble)
Old 26 June 2003, 09:16 AM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps for your suggestions.
I think I might get the ITG panel filter as the start of my project althought this may well change as I do even more reading.

Mart360: whats your definition of a 'Monster'?
My previous car was a Saab 9000 2.3T which had 225bhp, at the wheels, 255bhp at the flywheel, and 320 lb/ft of torque. Surely with the huge range of products for Scoobs I should be able to get close to this shouldn't I? I'm not expecting the Saabs torque levels or the 'at the wheels' bhp levels as so much is lost in the 4WD transmission but flywheel bhp should be acheivable shouldn't it?

Thanks again

Brett

PS At the risk of sounding stupid. Does MY stand for Manufactured Year?

PPS I hope on ScoobyNet Saabs are not in the same catagory as the TT
Old 26 June 2003, 09:42 AM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Hi.
My stands for manufactured year, but be carefull.
You can have a MY99 car on a 98 plate (I do)
Subaru released cars in Oct / Nov so they got the older plate even though they were the new model.

Can't answer the Saab question but your right about TT's
Old 26 June 2003, 09:58 AM
danny-boy
Scooby Regular

Run it on Optimax, keep the standard air box and air filter, as induction kits are well known for bugggering up MAF sensors! (200 odd quid), Panel filters also leave gunk on the element of the MAF, best thing to do if you really want to change it is replace it with a new standard one.

Cheers

Dan
Old 26 June 2003, 09:59 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2
Brett , I've got a standard UK MY99 and to be honest I dont find a great deal of difference between SUL/Optimax and Normal unleaded , it seems to run a little smoother but it's boarderline as to whether it,s worth the extra dosh at the pumps.At the end of the day it's a case of try both and see what you feel ,running on NUL won't do it any harm as long as it's a UK and not an import .
Just enjoy
Dave
Old 26 June 2003, 10:24 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Talking

hi brett, i was down at TSL a couple of days ago and the mechanic said with a panel filter and a bit of re-mapping you can achieve more power than that of an induction kit!!

also be very careful with an induction kit. i had a HKS one on (on when i bought the car) and it buggered up my MAF sensor, cost me £300!!!!

also, i have a uk turbo (my00) and i run it on SUL. tried optimax for a while and also NUL but found my scoob ran better on SUL than the other two, try them all and see which one feels best to you.

hope this helps,

gav..

[Edited by scoobygav555 - 6/26/2003 10:25:34 AM]
Old 26 June 2003, 11:23 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Hi Brett, welcome.

I have heard that certain panel filters can mess up the MAF. I use a K&N panel filter and that has been fine. But whatever, its probably best to stick with the standard airbox anyway. The best way to up the performance initially is to put a better exhaust system on it.

As far as petrol is concerned, NUL should be safe as it is a UK car but it will probably run more smoothly on SUL. Doubt that you need Optimax but people often say that Esso SUL is best. Esso always used to run best in the old days too Octane booster would be a waste of money for yours.

You can reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for an hour but there is a set procedure for doing that as well, maybe someone can give you the URL for that.

As you say, MY stands for model year. Took me ages to suss that one

Have fun

Les

Old 26 June 2003, 11:44 AM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Click here to learn how to reset the ECU
Old 26 June 2003, 12:01 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Thanks to all for comments, suggestions and URLs. All of which I've taken on board.

Do I need to reset the ECU if I cange fuels? Shouldn't it compensate for the different fuel octane levels 'on the fly' so to speak?

thanks again to all

Brett
Old 26 June 2003, 01:06 PM
k9any
Scooby Regular

This maybe a stupid question but I'm also a newbie, but how do you know if your MAF sensor has gone?

The reason why I ask is that the wagon I'm picking up tommorow has a Blitz induction kit on it but was running fine when i test drove it, should i revert back to the standard airbox?

Any help most appreciated

Ray