ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Which Scooby to buy??

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2003, 12:34 PM
jgreenwell
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi folks. After having a Toyota Supra twin turbo, for a year, and managing to write it off I am fancying a Subaru Impreza but havent a clue which one to go for, as there seam to be so many types. I have around £13K to spend, so whats the best for my money?

Also, how reliable are they? I dont want to run stupid boost, just want it to last.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Old 23 June 2003, 12:49 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

well presuming u didnt have a UK supra i guess the import side of it woodnt scare you off so if it was my choice then i'd go with a STi type R (basically a 2 door scooby with loadsa power 0-60 4.6 sex as i recall, adjustable diff & other toys) the adjustable diff means it can/will behave more like a rear wheel drive if so desired which i guess you might like more or maybe not after yer incident depends on what you seek most i guess but STi of some form will give best performance as standard etc & you should be able to get a version 5 MY99 for that money.....
basic FAQ
Si
Old 23 June 2003, 12:58 PM
Treacle
Scooby Regular

Smile

For that money you should be able to get yourself a W or X reg Mk1 model with around 30K on the clock. In my opinion still the best, even though not as refined as the newer versions .Jap imports will be cheaper but be aware of increased insurance costs and parts availability (never having had one i don't know how much of a problem this is, i'm sure others will give you advice on this). Special editions will most likely be out of the question, except perhaps for the Terzo . With your previous crash record (write off in the last year) i'd be tempted to check insurance quotes before you splash out your cash as you might find a considerable chunck of your 13k disappear. Regardless, if you take the plunge i'm sure you'll not be dissappointed.
Treacle
Old 23 June 2003, 03:08 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

jap import cars generally 20% higher prices as far as i can remember thou previously.......
Si
Old 23 June 2003, 03:35 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2
Thumbs up

Have a look here for lots of info click here
Reliable they are but expensive to service/run also.
Old 23 June 2003, 03:38 PM
jgreenwell
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for that folks, I have checked the invaluable 'Trader website and found a few of the models suggested, so will view them ASAP.

Is there much variation in the specs of the models?? ie trim, goodies, wheels, bodykits etc?

Also has anyone got any pointers/stories on reliability issues, problems, costs etc??