Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

o3' mods anyone ?

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2003, 07:47 PM
r5obbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone done any yet? body kits ,exhausts that dont give lambda probs etc? engine mods. any pics of these mods would be good aswell
thanks !
Old 22 June 2003, 11:52 AM
McRash
Scooby Regular

Cool

Just had my 1st mod to the 03......PPP - go get it - incredible noise and bloody quick. Car has only done 1100 miles and the weather is 27 deg so it will only get faster when the car loosens up and the cold air hits us....

Next mod is the geometry reset and some fog light covers as they are fly traps at the mo. and I personally think the Scoob looks better with them covered up.

Oh, nearly forgot - I got the silver prodrive gearknob as well - very nice and not too Halfords!
Old 22 June 2003, 02:18 PM
scoobysug
Scooby Regular

Smile

first mods i carried out were 18" silver prodrives and to debadge my sti, this included getting foglights fitted (sorry but black sti and gold wheels with pink decals looks gay) now it looks stealthy and evil and doesn't get unwanted attention from the max power brigade and hopefully, thieving scum!
next will be a stage 4 chassis tune from tsl motorsport when the eibach springs come out for the MY03, and then when i can afford the insurance hike, ppp!!! driver training at some point in the future when i can find a suitable school followed by the selling of a kidney to pay for it all!
Old 22 June 2003, 05:05 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Yep

Sti8

Centre Decat, Centre section and Firestorm BB
P-FF7 18" Alloys (Not gold!)
Front Sti Strutt Brace

PPP on order
Eibach's and geometry as soon as its out
Blue side indicator lenses
Blue Sti Mudflaps (On back order but they are coming back to the UK with revisions from the previous currently only available in Black or white)
Old 22 June 2003, 07:20 PM
CTRnutter
Scooby Regular

this wednesday,

The STI will be getting as well as the current PPP,

Downpipe,
De-Cat,
HKS Racing Suction Kit,
HKS BOV,
DOLuck, I/C SPRAY SYSTEM,

will let you know how it goes, but having doubts about the downpipe because rumour has it the Manifold on the scoob can wear very quickly and cause some internal dammage.

If all goes well then, as soon as available,

Manifold,
Motec ECU,
Guages - Exaust Gas \ Boost \ Oil
Fuel Pump,
And a boost controller.

if I can see 355 at the fly with that then great

then it will time to save and play with Sus and breaks then all shall be dandy, if not the bank manager will kick my backside.

[Edited by CTRnutter - 22/06/2003 19:26:44]
Old 22 June 2003, 10:03 PM
Hong Kong Phooey
Scooby Regular

Cool

Modifications to the 03?! Check out this one.....
Apparently there's been more done, and the owner recons it's pushing out almost 400bhp.

[Edited by Hong Kong Phooey - 22/06/2003 22:07:20]
Old 23 June 2003, 10:07 AM
integrale
Scooby Regular

Ok, so far on my MY03 WRX:

Colour coded sills (big difference to the look of the car for £145)
STI mud flaps
Machined aliminium gear ****
Autostyle colourcoded mats
Full 3 inch decat exhaust:
Decat up-pipe with flexi joint from TSL
Decat Downpipe from Scoobysport
Full 3 inch HKS Hiper Muffler
Ecutek 3 custom remap
With all the engined mods i'm seeing 285-290bhp and about 275 lbs torque.
Did think about fitting an STi spoiler but have decided it's nice to look different plus it also upsets Sti owners no-end when i pass them on the track and everyone can see it's a WRX !

Next on the shopping list is a Front mounted intercooler, uprated fuel pump and bigger turbo, Powerstation suspension (geom, eibach's, solid drop links, bushes and white line uprated roll bars).
Schweet!
Old 23 June 2003, 09:53 PM
r5obbo
Scooby Regular

bloody hell intergrale, thats some serious modding. it just made me wonder how far some of you have gone with the mods in such a short time since the release. i was told that the full decat exhausts were very 'iffy' over the long term,it seemed that decats with a atmo dump valves seemed to be on most cars that melted the pistons. i don't know if this could be possible? but some of you out there obviously are well up there with the info?. iv'e got the ppp from 1k onwards, its great, but reckon the decat would be good if it would give me a bit more as all those cats must restrict it quite a bit. thanks for the replys keep them coming in, by the way, anyone know what 'removing the bumpsteer' does? and isnt the geometry set-up very good on the standard car then? what gains could i expect if i had these done ?
thanks r50bbo........
Old 23 June 2003, 10:16 PM
strongbow
Scooby Regular

Had PPP to my 03 wagon,Ubellievable performance Yesssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 24 June 2003, 09:17 AM
CTRnutter
Scooby Regular

right guys forget all those mods on the car.

Had a chat with those nice guys at TSL, and they shed some very inetersting light on what is available and what will improve the car, and apparently the OEM kit is near perfect,

I will be looking first at the Motec, and see where to go from there, but the induction kit is a big no no

also if you remove the cat and downpipe you will lose the lamda sensors which also will keep playing with the engine check lights as the car will no longer recognise the exhaust gas temps !!

Old 24 June 2003, 10:12 AM
integrale
Scooby Regular

CTRNutter, you're wrong (well partly). Basically if you perform a fulldecat on the car then you'll need to remap the ECU to account for the changes to the fuelling/air/boost/iginition timing AND to account for the missing lambada cat sensors. If you just decat it and dont make any changes to the ECU then yes you will not only get warning lights flashing on the dash (as the car wonders why it can breath so freely) but you also run the risk of damaging the engine. TSL are right in the respect that the OEM is good which is why i've chosen to stick with the OEM ECU and just remap it (keeping all the factory safety parameters and engine monitoring capabilities). Motec is ok if your running a really high powered unusual setup (different turbo/injectors, etc) but isnt needed otherwise. Plus dare i say it but there are faster engine monitoring systems out there for the same money (approx £1200) such as Autronics. Your also right in respect of the induction kit, its good as it is on the new MY03 WRX.
As for the suspension mods do a search on here, someone a few weeks back went to great lengths to explain bumpsteer, etc. In a nutshell our cars are setup at the factory to drive "straight out the box" by anyone with a license, regardless of their ability (good or bad). Therefore Subaru have to set the car to understeer rather then oversteer as this is deemed less likely to cause as many accidents, etc. It doesnt actually take much to change the cars handling to change its characteristics to a more neutral , 4 wheel drift set up (or full on oversteer for that matter). It's probably the cheapest mod which will give the biggest improvement. I'll be taking my car down to Powerstation to get it all done once funds permit.
Old 24 June 2003, 10:43 AM
CTRnutter
Scooby Regular

I hear where you are coming from, with the Autronics, a friend of mine has it on his EVO 6 TME, and Mark Shead of MAD devolments has done a fine job with the mapping,

I will be more than happy to say that my knowledge of tuning scoobies is very limited, I am currently running the PPP ECU or Arcutech, which is more about fueling and the power come in around a higher point where as TSL were talking about mapping for power in at around 2K rpm, also they said that the RSK would be a a waste of my time as the induction currently fitted to the car would supply a far better feed of cold air, just that the filter would need replacing and a green cone would supply 40% more air to the engine.

TSL also said that they were going this route with their Demo STI-8
Old 24 June 2003, 11:00 AM
integrale
Scooby Regular

one other thing whilst i think of it....my engine upgrade is basically the same as a PPP, the only differences being that instead if removing just the one cat i've had all 3 removed which makes up for the extra power (mines about 285 bhp, 270 lbs torque). The cats really do rob the car of a lot of "free" power. Also for those that dont already know, the PPP is an EcuTek2, as in an off the shelf remapped ECU. It's the reason I went for an EcuTek remap rather than piggyback type chip, after all if prodrive use Ecutek to remap their chips for the PPP then it's good enough for me !
Old 24 June 2003, 11:05 AM
CTRnutter
Scooby Regular

apparently not Subaru are in the process of taking ECUtek to court for copyright as a piggback uses the original ECU and adjusts it !!! weird I know but this is a little infirmation that TSL fed me yesterday as well
Old 24 June 2003, 11:41 AM
integrale
Scooby Regular

Wink

eh ? i don't understand what your saying....the Ecutek is not a piggyback chip (like Link) its just software that allows you to remap the original ECU, which I can assure is exactly what Prodrive use to make the PPP kits. They basically remap a standard ECU chip and get the dealer to swap it for your original chip and change the centre and back box of your exhaust system. I can think of a couple of other reasons though that Subaru would want to take Ecutek to court though, one being that you don't have to be Prodrive to remap the original ECU as any tunning company can go out and buy the EcuTek remapping software.
If you need any info on how the Ecutek works then I suggest you speak to either Rob at Scoobysport or Bob at BR Developments, failing that you could always talk to the prodrive guys on here although I doubt they will want to talk about it in the same light (as in an Ecutek remap), i'm sure they will have to call it a Prodrive remap for legal reasons.
Old 24 June 2003, 01:42 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

So you guys say that a full decat WRX03 (standard ECU) is worse regarding reliability from a same car with TEK3?
This is strange to me as boost pressure is lower on standard ECU and even if the remaped ECU takes account of the exhaust changes (fueling, timing etc) the factory one can adjusted itself to "slight" modifications as the above!
I ask cause I am in the same boat - I'd prefer a safe car (have in mind our very hot weather) - and as both PPP-TEKx increases boost is better to stay with factory pressure.
Also how can the TEK3 manage the extra boost when even with factory maps the injector duty cycles are above 95%(I know it leans the mixture)?
JIM
Old 24 June 2003, 02:01 PM
CTRnutter
Scooby Regular

I'm proably passing on the wrong information, give the guys at TSL a buzz I'm sure the will fill you in on all the gen,

Old 25 June 2003, 09:56 AM
integrale
Scooby Regular

Smile

Jim - Fitting a full decat can cause overboosting which is not good (do a search on this topic for more info). As for the boost settings, well if you have your ECU remapped (EcuTek) then you can decide how little or much boost you want, just tell the mapper at the time. CTR - No disrespect but TSL only use MoTec so they will naturally push their product, if I were you I'd speak to as many of the good tuners as possible (BRD, Xtreme, Scoobysport, etc) and then make your decision. Don't get me wrong Motec is good but it's not the best (there are quicker, cheaper systems available) and for £1200 is totally unnecessary unless you plan on going mad with the upgrades as in Turbo, injectors, etc and even then I'd still stick with Ecutek as I'd rather the original ECU control my engine.
Old 25 June 2003, 10:33 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Integrale, boost can be controlled with several ways and isn't big problem IMHO, although in my previous MY00 I hadn't such problems probably due to different climate conditions, I added a restrictor valve (thanks to John Banks) just to solve a problem when changed a Maxim Racing manifold with the factory manifold ported as my TEK3 was "adjusted" with the aftermarket one.
I just wonder how the remap can manage injector's duty cycles without the need of an aftermarket fuel pump when factory values after 5000rpms are more than 95%.
JIM
Old 25 June 2003, 12:23 PM
03JAM
Scooby Newbie

Question

Steve 777
Why did you not just opt for the PPP instead of the firestorm backbox and other mods?
I have an sti8 also and am thinking I may as well just go for the PPP, it doesnt affect the warranty in case anything goes wrong.
I think 2grand is a bit steep for what you get but at least prodrive seem to know what they are doing.
Also could someone tell me how the PPP affects insurance?
I presently pay 780 with elephant
Old 25 June 2003, 12:30 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

03JAM

Reason being is I couldn't afford the PPP at the time of buying having just shed out a load on a new car. I know that after I have finishd with the bits I currently use they can be sold without great loss to a guy I know. I just wanted a better sound than the standard crappy exhaust. The PPP is now on order now that I have had one or two pay packets

On insurance company mine has advised no change, having said that I pay more and know without doubt that the quality of my insurance is far far uperior to Elephant - You gets what you pays for.

Somebody earlier was suggesting that the PPP Sti kit only changes the centre section and BB , but they also change the down pipe to one with a high flow sports cat made by Prodive !!! (Scorpion really)

Hope this helps
Old 25 June 2003, 12:40 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

[Edited by Steve777 - 6/25/2003 12:40:44 PM]
Old 25 June 2003, 04:21 PM
TON3
Scooby Regular

I dont think i'd trust any insurance company til i actually got the money in front of me, there all the same!