Sponsored by:

03 WRX with PPP vs STI8 (Basic)

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2003, 09:56 AM
kirk1176
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Trying to make a decision on wether to buy 03 WRX with PPP or an STI8. Baically comes down to cost but may be able to afford either but STI8 is a struggle. What are peoples opinions/suggestions?
Old 20 June 2003, 10:07 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Click
Old 20 June 2003, 10:10 AM
kirk1176
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Sorry about the multiple posts. Just moved to netscape 7 and it doesn't like the board and crashed out after the post.
Old 20 June 2003, 10:12 AM
ChrisB

All hoovered up now

Nutscrape hey? 'nuff said
Old 20 June 2003, 10:44 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Definitely try before you buy.

I was in the same sort of position almost-ish , and was convinced I wanted an STI. Then I drove one for 300 miles on a motorway and I had real concerns about the suspension - it "bounces" sometimes when something upsets it.

I've got an 03 5 door WRX, and it's simply fantastic even without the PPP. The handling is the real revelation, it's superb: much better than my MY00.

Try both on an extended test run, but if you're doing a lot of miles I don't think you can beat the WRX. The STI gives you a little bit more driver enjoyment largely due to the power (the one I drove was PPPd tho) and the handling (diffs and suspension set-up) but the few times that you really want to enjoy that are not enough to make me live with the suspension bounce on a day to day basis.

Also, if you're struggling to afford the STI then don't do it. You'll only be tempted to add the PPP, and be struggling more. If money is an issue (and being honest it was a consideration for me) then go for the bog standard WRX and look for PPP in the future. I think you'll be surprised how capable the WRX is without the PPP - despite some opinions you get on here, it's still a pretty rapid car

[Edited by chiark - 20/06/2003 10:46:43]
Old 20 June 2003, 10:49 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

-2 replies
Si
Old 20 June 2003, 10:54 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Zero now mate

Trending Topics

Old 20 June 2003, 11:22 AM
kirk1176
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the feedback chiark. I have an MY00 scoob at the moment and do use it do a lot of miles (~20,000 per year) so the thought of 'bouncing' down the M1 doesn't fill me with joy!

I think I'll try and get a loan of a WRX and see how different it is to my existing scoob.

Thanks.
Old 20 June 2003, 11:27 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I was in just the same position - MY00. I didn't do that many miles in it, but it was good on long journeys.

Try the WRX and give it a sound thrashing on a test drive. I think you'll be gobsmacked. I certainly was

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 20 June 2003, 12:12 PM
Nick_TypeUK
Scooby Regular

The STI is more hardcore and probably more fun/usable when pushed real hard but its also louder and the rides alot harder and can bounce alot.

THe WRX with PPP is still a damn fine car but alot more civalized.

I can live (just) with the hardness of the STI if i had a young family or had to run elderly relatives about alot i would take the WRX as ride is so good for a car that handles that well.

In fact im test driving a 5 door WRX again tomorrow as its one of 2 cars on the short list for my mum
Old 20 June 2003, 01:15 PM
Muppet_Boy
Scooby Regular

Get an sti8. If you get a wrx then somewhere down the line you'll wish you'd gone for the sti and then it starts to cost. Had my2002 wrx and after 3-4 months wanted an sti and knew I should have bought one initially even if it would have been a push financially.Sti8 is a bit harsher, but never an issue. My wife drives it with the 3 kids in the back and has no complaints.
Old 20 June 2003, 01:23 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

STI 8 LOUD?

I have had to replace the Back Box with a Prodrive job just to hear it!
I would be VERY suprised if a WRX with PPP is quieter than the standard STI.
Old 20 June 2003, 02:28 PM
8seconds
Scooby Newbie

Had a classic wagon do 24k miles per year.

Test drove MY 03 WRX and STI8 - and bought the WRX.

STI suspension was too hard, always moving, if you ran over a gnat you would feel it. Great if you are in the mood to drive hard, a pain otherwise.

I do 5-700 miles a week. 230 mile range of STI also a pain. I get about 300 before warning light comes on running Optimax.

WRX is better for everyday use. With PPP would probably be best compromise.

It is plenty quick too. Have only had to make way for a CL55 AMG and a 360 Modena since I got it.

Handling great too. Only negative is the seats are not as good as the classic ones or the STI.
Old 20 June 2003, 04:14 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

I went from a MY00 to an 03 WRX with PPP. I didn't go for the STi due the very hard ride and the cost, £27K with PPP. The WRX is a better everyday car, IMO, expecially if you travel long distances, as I do.

IF you want a quiet car don't buy the PPP, it is pretty noisy compared to the standard car, but makes an already exellent car even better.

Dan
Old 20 June 2003, 09:37 PM
MDM
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

horses for courses me thinks.all above points are valid but for me buy the wrx , drive and enjoy and then you will still have something to aspire to own and drive.
me, i drive an sti8 with much fun but spent time in the wrx and the wagon and would not swap it except that it would look like my old p1.......
Old 21 June 2003, 07:51 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Its a tough choice to make. Lots of angles to look at it from.

PERFORMANCE

From a pure performance angle the WRX PPP is quicker than the STI in nearly every situation

0-60 4.8 vs 5.1
1/4 mile 13.7 vs 13.99

If you look at the prodrive data sheets, there is only a couple of instances where the STI has a quicker time - 0.1 secs. Most of the time the advantage is with the WRX. Everyday driving you will also benefit from greater drivability. The bigger turbo of STI will be a bit more laggy.

INTERIOR

The STI has the nicer interior. You could always go for Leather in the WRX though. Some of the nice touched like gearsurround can be bought for the WRX as well.

LOOKS

IMHO I wish IM offered the STI without the Gold wheels - No cost option. Ive been through the Gold wheel phase The STI does look a little nicer, but again I feel with the fog light covers on the WRX does a damn good job. Although if its a 4 door you need a high level spoiler.

BRAKES

STI whoops the WRX here and does justify some of the extra cost.

HANDLING

Chiark is spot on. You will find the STI better 2% of the time, unless your a hooligan. The STI can also take some time to get used to.

INSURANCE

The STI for me would cost £300 a year more to insure, BUT the WRX has NO Tracker, so I would have to fork out for one of these.

RESALE

My favorite IMHO the STI is VERY open to the label man. The current STI will get hit quite hard if IM bring in the Jap Spec car or even worse the 2.5. SO if your buying a car for 2 years, you could see a flood of cars hit the market all at once. The WRX, if your happy keeping it std looking will cost less in the long run. Spend loads making it look like an STI though and it will suffer.

My view

If you buy an STI it needs the PPP, or you'll have a WRX pushing to get past The std WRX rear spoiler should be banned, so go for a 5 door and then you dont need to spend loads on a new spoiler.

Jonathan

Who owns neither Yet ?

[Edited by Chins - 21/06/2003 07:54:14]
Old 21 June 2003, 08:12 AM
chunky_lad
Scooby Regular

Faced with the same choice about 2 months ago....took the STI8 over a WRX PPP. Reasoning was down to mainly looks, much better brakes, tracker as standard, seats and general interior finish and the knowledge I can get the PPP and be 300bhp when I can afford it!

Use it to commute - perfectly acceptable day to day use for me...no worse than my old Scoob ( MY99 ) - best mpg I've had is 275 mixed driving ( e.g. commute and weekend blasting ) bit less than the MY99 but I reckon with a few 1000 more on the clock it should improve.

As soon as I saw the new STI in the flesh I knew I had to have one...
Old 21 June 2003, 12:27 PM
Catalunya74
Scooby Regular