Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STI8ppp-7 vs P1

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2003, 12:27 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Posted yesterday but didn't get much of a response so I'm going to simplify.

Which in your opinion do you think is worth getting, I'm not bothered about interior and so it's just dwon to performance, looks and handling.
Would like to hear from people who have owned 2 of the above and the pros and cons.

Cheers

Peter
Old 18 June 2003, 12:37 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

..I have both a 22B (UK car so gearing only slightly shorter than the P1) and an STI8PPP. I've had the STI8 for about 3 months and I'm ready to sell it. I've had the 22 for 30k miles and 3 years and I'm still in love with it.
Classics rule!
Chuck
Old 18 June 2003, 01:20 PM
BlueBlood
Scooby Regular

Cool

Had a P1 for 3 years and 40K miles, now just about 600 miles into an STI8(PPP in two weeks).

Based on my limited experience of the STI8, as I took it very easy for the first 500 miles and have started to loosed it up a bit without going mad (5.5krpm sort of thing). I find the car is at moment gives less feed back to the driver but handles better, but is not as quick as the P1 with a full SS system. (Perhaps just my crap driving but I could get the P1 sideways or flicking from side to side without trying..)

The P1 had all the classic qualities, a bit of a rough edge, but then had all the bad points, rattles - cheap feel that a car of that age would have. The STI8 has a better build quality about it, no rattles on mine, however not a BMW or even Audi – but then I hope will have excellent performance at £28k (wheels & PPP). Still plenty of beer money each month.

I should add lets not forget that the P1 was less than perfect for £31.5k, the brakes being the worst thing …. Having got them smoking on several occasions I opted for the AP6 pot kit as I felt the prodrive was inferior for the same price. Not to mention the paint…SS full system – it added up a bit.

If both were new and sat next to each other, today I would edge to a P1. The P1 so far was more fun and after 3 years it still went for more than 50% of what I paid for it (I was well happy with that), but reserve final judgment until I have done a few more miles in the STI8 and if necessary made changes. The real reason being – yes the P1 did wind me up particularly the rattles and build quality.

The way I abuse the things (blew the no 4 on the p1 engine) I would not consider a Subaru without the full engine warranty for the entire time I owned it.

Chuck, what R U un-happy with if you don’t mind me asking….

Old 18 June 2003, 02:09 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Mine rattles and squeaks. I don't like the VVT power delivery as much as the old cars...really need to rev it alot more than I like....it's far too easy to be cruising at 2.9k rpm and be caught with zero accelerative power..basically I find the 22 alot more *fun* and the '03 not that much more refined...thats after an S4 and S3 in the past 2 years..also 22 was a JDM car at heart and the interior was better than the UK models of the time...semi-auto climate etc...
Once over 3.5krpm and hustling I'll admit the 03 is a fine car, and the handling is pretty darn good. But..I've got my DCCD 35/65 torque split equipped type r to compare it to....hmmmm saying that the '03 probably handles alot better than a P1 ...I forgot the P1 was set up like a standard UK MY00. Take back everything I said and buy a 03STIPPP, leave the P1 alone...lovely car but could do better
Rgds
Chuck
Old 18 June 2003, 02:15 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Try both and make your own mind up. When I tested the STI 8 I found it softer and having less steering feel than the P1. In non PPP guise it was also slower in a straight line above 6omph (below that the 6 speed helped). However it was better built, more refined and easier to live with.

Old 18 June 2003, 02:17 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

See this is the problem I've got. THe P1 just looks so good and is very fast. And for 21k you can now get them with the uprated brakes and exhaust. I'm looking at paying around 21k for my next car so the P1 sounds great but like you say it's not as great and handling. I'm not to bother about the interior. My other options as far as I can see are to either get a sti7 with ppp for about the same price or an import sti8. What do you think?
Old 18 June 2003, 02:24 PM
P1-day
Scooby Regular

Pete,

it sounds like u really want the P1, what if u get a P1 and do the bumpsteer thingy, or stick 18's on??

Trending Topics

Old 18 June 2003, 03:02 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

What's the bump steer thing?
If I'm to get a P1 I'm going to make sure it comes with 18's, up rated discs and exhaust.
I guess the reason why I'm drawn to the P1 is because it was the first Subaru that I thought "wow that looks the nuts" Actually come to think of it, it's only the P1 and the 22B that make me say that.
The thing I'm worried about is am I taking a step back. I've got a UK300 at them moment and so getting a P1 I'll be getting the performance I want but will I be giving up more then I'll be gaining. Is the new shape that much more improved then the old to justify never getting a P1? I went for a test drive in a P1 and loved the rawness and the sound. It didn't feel astoundingly faster then my car but you could feel the difference.
Call me big headed but I like to have a car that turns heads. My UK300 does this and I know the P1 will do so more. I've looked at the new shape many times now and I just think it looks like a Civic the only thing I think looks really cool on it is the scoop.
People keep saying that the ride of the old cars and the creaks in the interior are to hard to live with but to be honest I only drive at weekends and that's usually to have a blast so I'm not to bothered by luxuries.
So to sum up, are the improvements in the latest model so much better then the P1 that it's worth buying a car that just doesn't looks as good or have the icon status?

Cheers

Peter
Old 18 June 2003, 03:10 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

opps just read the thread just below concerning Bump steer so no need to answer that.
But would still like more opinions. I want my next car to be one that I hold on to for a long time so don't want to make a mistake.
Old 18 June 2003, 03:28 PM
P1-day
Scooby Regular

Pete,

out of interest, have u any pics of your car as im trying to think of want it looks like but am not sure.

anyway, regarding your thread, stop flapping around and get the P1 - mine doesnt rattle
Old 18 June 2003, 03:46 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

Scc performance banner at the top of the forum page has a UK300 on it. Or look here www.iwoc.co.uk/my2001uk300.html.

It's so tempting to just rush into it but I just want as many opinions as I can get.
Old 18 June 2003, 04:12 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Sorry, not owned both but I've driven both and I've currently got a P1. ATM my current thoughts are that the P1 is not going anywhere, especially for a new Impreza. It's a real head turner and with the 18's most definately looks the more hard core. The bug eye and weird eye Impreza's may have better internals and no rattles but don't push any of my buttons in the looks or driving departments

I personally do not think going to a P1 from a UK300 is a backwards step.

Oh and a ps, the rattles on a P1 are easily sorted with draft proofing tape for house doors and windows
Old 18 June 2003, 04:33 PM
Arron
Scooby Regular

Pete,
As an owner of both an my98 modded and STI 7 Prodrive I would much prefer to have a new shape than the classic, although the classic scoob is an awesome car the new shape imho is just a bit better in almost all areas.
When I got my STI I thought I had made a very bad move as it didn't feel quite as punchy as my old modded 98 but give it time and you will be surprised as I was.

NEW SHAPE ALL THE WAY.
Old 18 June 2003, 04:59 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

So, so far it 3-2 to the P1.
Old 18 June 2003, 05:02 PM
DeerHunter
Scooby Regular

IMO sti8 but MUST HAVE the ppp, had mine fitted yesterday, fastest best handling car i have ever driven (previous was an my97ppp) , p1 nice but a bit old now....
Old 18 June 2003, 05:07 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

3-3
Damn I knew this was going to be a hard decision.
Old 18 June 2003, 05:10 PM
Goldfinger
Scooby Regular

Hi Pete ...

YHM mate ... please get in touch when its convenient.

Cheers
Phil UK300 PPP

PS Either way - P1 or STi VII PPP - you'll be getting a cracking car me thinks
Old 18 June 2003, 07:36 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Sti8 and P1 are both superb cars but move with the times and get a PPPd Sti8.

Chip.
Old 19 June 2003, 02:16 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

Whats the cheapest you can pick up an STI8 typeUK for if you're paying cash?
Old 19 June 2003, 02:42 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Arrow

You can have my 4/5 month old one with PPP for £21k cash ..... or £22k with the PFF7's I've fitted.
It's on a 52plate because I got it in Feb. Otherwise.....
If you want a UK car from a UK dealer I've seen 5% off PPP's and maybe a grand off the car price.
Rgds
Chucky
Old 19 June 2003, 03:05 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

will the price of the sti 8 drop below that of a p1?

bear in mind the P1 has already taken a big hit at its price now, surely the sti 8 has that to look forward to?

someone mentioned 50% value in three years. Is that half-price comparable to a half life or will the fall in the p1s value not continue?

btw. as far as votes go, if you dont care about comfort as much then I would say P1 all the way and I have driven one.

Only driven an sti 7 not an 8.

The new one is meant to handle better, but the deficiencies in the old one can be easily sorted. And then it will always have a 150kg weight advantage which helps in all areas of driving.

I also believe you would have to be a bit of a schumacher to find the capabilities of the P1, so to say the sti 8 is ultimately more capabale is a touch generous.

Old 19 June 2003, 03:24 PM
Oakers
Scooby Regular

I know its a bit cheaky, but I am only 25 mins from Keston.

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=218584

Got all the bits you want too!!
Old 19 June 2003, 04:44 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

Old_fart how many miles has your STI8 done? I also sent you a mail not sure if you got it or not?
Old 19 June 2003, 05:14 PM
Nick_TypeUK
Scooby Regular

50% drop over 3 years is about the industry avg for a car, not good for a specalist car like all scoobys, try buying a STI8 from a dealer in 3 years for £13,500, cant see it meself.
Old 19 June 2003, 07:50 PM
Arron
Scooby Regular

Pete, just hang fire for a bit and get the new STI 9 when it hits these shores.
Old 19 June 2003, 08:24 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

P1 was an overpriced suped up Classic. All the good bits of the JDM car were taken off and I along with a lot of others were taken in by it all.
Mine cost me nearly £34K by the time I had put decent brakes,a stereo,18" wheels and all the other stuff that it should have come with standard.
It quite simply was the worst all round car I have ever owned!!!
I sold it back to the dealer I bought it from with even more bits on and just managed to get £23K for it. That was only 18 months later.
I had just about everything go wrong with it bar the engine blowing!!!(managed that on my STI instead )
If I was you mate I would buy a used STI7 like I have got with 18`s and the PPP. I paid £24K for mine with 5500 miles on the clock. I`m sure you could find one for about £21K now and you will still have a couple of years warranty.
It is simply a MUCH better car.
I should know
Also a certain Mr O`Hara had a P1 and I`m sure he could add a few comments.
Old 20 June 2003, 12:06 AM
grobby
Scooby Newbie

Had my sti7 for about 18 months now and the chassis just impresses me more and more, PPP totally transforms the car the extra power makes the car more biased to oversteer. Once you get used to the front diff pulling you round bends you can really make the car fly, very quick car, practically unbeatable on the road except maybe for the EVO.
Seats are particularly excellent, interiors OK far better than the old scoob, suspension on the STI7 is very good for all-round road use but maybe slightly soft if really going for it but hopefully Prodrive springs and geometry tweaks will eliminate the slight understeer.
Never driven a P1 but had a few of the old shape Scoobs and RB5, much prefer the sti7 feels like a much better engineered, quality car, no doubt the sti8 may be a little better still but personally prefer the looks of the bugeye.
Done about 20K miles and the engine definitely gets stronger and stronger.
Old 20 June 2003, 10:34 AM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies guys, this has really helped in my decision making. On a seprate note I'm going to have to start going to some of the meets as I've never met any of you in person.

Once again thanks.

Peter
Old 20 June 2003, 10:58 AM
TON3
Scooby Regular

Pete i was in the same position as u 2 months ago sti7 or p1, i chose the sti7 and have never looked back, it had 2yrs 2months left on the warranty and i must admit swayed it 4 me! Both lovely cars m8 but atleast with a warranty uve got good comeback!
Old 21 June 2003, 09:08 PM
Bladesman
Scooby Newbie

I've had a P1 for 2 years now and love it to bits.
Test drove an sti8 with PPP yesterday and have to say I was very impressed, so impressed infact that I have ordered one today.
I am keeping the P1 so I will be able to give a direct comparrison shortly.
I pick yhe car up on July the 1st
Cheers Andy