Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Integra Type R versus Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2003, 01:38 PM
Stevie_h
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, before i start i am not trying to start a childish argument over which car is better. I have had an Integra for three years now and it been a top car. But I am looking to change, has anybody here driven both cars and could give me there opinion of the comparison?
Also at what point do you feel the boost increasing on the impreza, ie. is it only at full throttle at about 3500rpm, or is quite noticable from lower down the rev on partial throttle. The reason i ask is that the one critiscm i have of the integra was that unless you revved into the power band(5500 - 8200 rpm) the car drove no different from 2.0 Mondeo. My previous car, a feista RS turbo, would start to boost from about 2000rpm, this made the car feel special even when i just pottering around town, and i miss this sensation.
You might wonder why i dont just go for a test drive, trust me i have tried. Salesman practically want you to have bought the car before they will let you drive it.

Cheers

Ste
Old 17 June 2003, 01:45 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

SJ_Skyline & Scoobabe have just gone from Scoob to ITR.

But you'll have more luck finding them in muppets
Old 17 June 2003, 01:47 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

Depends what version you're going to go for. As far as I know the pre 2000 models kicked in about the 3000 rev and would give you a slight kick as the turbo came in. My01 and 02 came in around the same point but were a lot more gradual. My03 comes in just above 2000 revs I think and again is Gradual, sometimes you get a bit of lag in the 4000 mark. As for imports I haven't got a clue.

Peter
Old 17 June 2003, 01:56 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2
Thumbs up

1999 model kicks in around 3000 rpm ..nice shove in the back !
Old 17 June 2003, 01:56 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

is your teg vtec?
Old 17 June 2003, 02:03 PM
Stevie_h
Scooby Regular

Yes, the teg is vtec.

Cheers

Ste
Old 17 June 2003, 02:04 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Had both.

Have a look here :

my thoughts
Old 17 June 2003, 02:05 PM
Stevie_h
Scooby Regular

Btw if anyone is in the Leeds area(during the week) or Burnley area (weekends) and fancy taking me for a spin this would be deeply appreciated.

Cheers

Ste
Old 17 June 2003, 02:05 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

ps - @teg will be a little quicker than MY01/MY02 once rolling.

My comparison is teg vs MY99 which I believe personally to be the best of the classics.

D
Old 17 June 2003, 02:17 PM
WRX_BLUES
Scooby Regular

Stevie_h

I've owned both too! I had a 98 Teg R, then went to a bug eye WRX MY02 and recently went to an STI8.

The immediate difference you will find is that pickup is alot quicker further down the rev band reacting more in the 3500-4000 area. After this acceleration is very rapid and requires more frequent gear changes up the gears. When I first test drove the WRX I kept hitting the rev limiter as I was so used to the long revs on the vtec (still miss that and the sound!). If you drive the WRX you will probably find that the handling isn't quite as direct and connected to the ground as the Teg (IMHO!), however, when I changed to the STI8 this was much closer to the Teg if not better. The WRX is much more comfortable than the Teg as you will find it will ride the bumps effortlessly unlike the spine crunching Teg (then again it's luxury compared to the STI8). To be honest with you I really miss the looks, sound and seats of the Teg, but what I don't miss is having to hit 6000 rpm before the real magic happened. A scooby will waste the Teg on pickup purely because it kicks in lower down the revs with the Turbo and that you don't have to rev the car hard. In addition to all the comments made there are a lot more tuning options out there for the Scooby than I could ever find for the Teg.

Hope this helps
Old 17 June 2003, 02:26 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Wink

I drove both (+ an Evo 6) before I purchased, my thoughts are as follows.
ITR - seemed a very capable car, but hard work and tiring to keep on the boil.
Scoob MY00 - "blinding" !!!!! fast, capable, and a hard shove at 3000rpm.
Evo 6 - Frightenly quick, but very raw.
What did I buy ? the Scoob, had it for a year now and my face still hurts due to the permanent grin on my face, running costs are a bit harsh though, but heh if I'd wanted lots of mpg I'd have bought a deisel.
Try and drive one though, you won't be dissapointed.
Old 17 June 2003, 03:21 PM
Maddy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Stevie,

I had a white yes white (can you beleive it) Integra type R and drove it for almost 15 months, A very nice motor and the Vtec sounded awesome from 6-9krpm especially with a good air filter.

One thing I can say about the integra is they are pretty exclusive and you don't see many of them on the road as you do with Impreza's.

In the last few years I've owned 2 impreza's, a 99 215bhp Turbo and a 2002 wrx (bug eyed beasti) with ppp.

With an impreza you will notice 3 things , More Grip , More Torque , More Power.

I took the ITR on an airfield and timed my 0 - 60 and even though in the book it was 6.7 I could only manage 7.3

With the WRX ppp I get around 5.2 and the standard 215 Turbo around 5.7

The Integra type R you have to push it until it screams to get good performance, but the double wishbone system and the feedback from the road does make up for it. I found it enjoyable to drive and the vtec is like no other.

What you will loose by buying an impreza
good feedback from the road
reasonable fuel bills
Exclusive car

What you will gain from buying an Impreza

A 4 door family car
jaw dropping acceleration
grip that you did'nt think existed
a 'Bright button' that when you push it (bugger all happens)

In all I personally prefer the impreza by a large margin.

I'm in Leeds so if you want a ride out let me know your email and i'll get in touch. I'll warn you though that i'm no boy racer.

Mad :P
Old 17 June 2003, 03:38 PM
P1JON
Scooby Regular

Ste

had a red ITR from new in 98 and loved it .When I got my P1 I couldnt let it go so my girlfriend has it now. I still drive it once or twice a week and enjoy it as much as ever.Both great cars but if had to choose , it would be the subaru.

Cheers,

John.
Old 17 June 2003, 03:39 PM
P1JON
Scooby Regular

Ste

had a red ITR from new in 98 and loved it .When I got my P1 I couldnt let it go so my girlfriend has it now. I still drive it once or twice a week and enjoy it as much as ever.Both great cars but if had to choose , it would be the subaru.

Cheers,

John.
Old 17 June 2003, 06:31 PM
Stevie_h
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the all the replies, it was a much better responce than i anticipated.
Maddy, my email is heyes_s@hotmail.com, it would be great if you could take me out for a spin. It might just be what i need to make up my mind.

cheers

Ste
Old 18 June 2003, 10:23 AM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Later classic models with the TD04 start producing boost well below 3000, that's where the real shove comes in but for normal driving anything over 2000 RPM produces useful boost for that bit extra torque even on part throttle.

This comes in really handy for going up hills, there's a really steep one near me where turning onto it at the bottom in the Scoob I can leave it in 3rd gear doing just over 2k RPM and the car happily accelerates up it using part throttle giving about 5psi boost(getting faster as the revs rise and boost increases to ~14psi at 3k RPM). By comparison a 2.0 Mondeo with similar gearing will only hold a constant speed going up the hill, even with the throttle wide open. Most ordinary cars won't even get half way up in 3rd.

Having a turbo is definitely best of both worlds IMO, sh1tloads of power at the top end for the performance yet loads of torque from relatively low RPM for driving up hills or with the weight of a full car without having to rag the nuts off it to get some reasonable pace out of it.