Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Importing from japan

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2003, 01:53 AM
fonzy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for some info from anyone who has done this, i.e which import company they used, any problems, etc..

This would be very much appreciated.
Old 15 June 2003, 02:01 AM
XT
Scooby Regular

Smile

I collected my 300ZX on thursday and I imported myself.

It's not as difficult as it may seem, the difficult part is the waiting
Old 15 June 2003, 01:22 PM
oj
Scooby Regular

XT - what about SVA, as I had a few hassles getting through the test.. unless your car is over 10 years old, then you only need an MOT...

Anyway, the importing bit was failrly straight forward, its all the documentation this end that causes the delay..

I used ISIBIKE.com who were and still very helpful when I purchased mine (95' STI V2 555) from Japan through them......

I have seen on this forum about newer cars (after 97' model I think) will be a lot more difficult...

If you go down this route, don't expect it to be a quick process.. or you could use one of the companies in the UK..

Best of luck..

OJ..
Old 15 June 2003, 03:06 PM
XT
Scooby Regular

oj, mine just needs an MOT
Old 15 June 2003, 03:12 PM
oj
Scooby Regular

XT - lucky you... at least you avoided the SVA hassle... I like the 300ZX, what colour etc..?? I nearly got a convertible 300ZX, which are rare.. but the bid went too high for my liking... . enjoy your car...

OJ...
Old 15 June 2003, 05:40 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Imported mine at Christmas, no probs. SVA i got a friend to do it and he changed all the bits and it went through first time

I helped XT with questions - now we just got to sort a few probs and XT is on the road with the 300

As oj said, after the 97 its a bit harder as you have to have model reports which can be costly (think its about £1000 - £1500 for everything where earlier cars its about £500).

Before 93 no sva, just MOT.

Also depends what car you are importing, jeeps are a pain in the ****!
Old 15 June 2003, 08:27 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

I bought an sti2 in February from Chris Jones ccsportsimports@btopenworld.com

He was quick, efficient and very patient with me... 10/10

It was £7995 on the road - but alas, I have falled pray to modifications LOL.

Im just about to buy a vanity plate - T55 5OUL - yippppeeee
Old 15 June 2003, 08:38 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Hi chaps, its only me.

Have to have a retest for mine, passed the foglight, fuel restrictor, speed test & most other bits n bobs.
Failed :
my Nardi
(bo!!icks, i have the type that has some small hex bolts around the centre hub, he said they wern't rouned enough. this is why some peeps nardi's pass , and others dont. Original wheel that came in the boot now fitted)
MPH Sticker :
(The peeps that sold me my speed converter, gave me an MPH sticker to put on the dial. DONT use it. It is supposed to be backlit, and they aren't. But the guy was helpful. He said take off the sticker, and just "Black" out the k fron the kmh, to leave mh on the dial)
Drivers Seat belt :
(didnt return to position, doh , i noticed it on the way in.)
Failed emissions :
(He carried out the speed test, after which , the revs wouldnt come below 1900. so he couldnt carry out the idle test)

But that was all, well if it was going to fail on one thing, i would have been annoyed.
Oh by the way, Elite sold me my speed converter & told me it
de-restricts the car; i have it on reasonable authority that it doesnt. I will be contacting them about that.(and the mph sticker).

Thanks to you guys for your help, almost there.....oh my idle problem caused by faulty idle control valve.

Cheers, hope to see you guys sometime.
Glenn

makes a note...will have to get the pics sorted
Old 15 June 2003, 08:41 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Sorry Fonzy, i hijacked your thread.

here's who i got mine from

http://www.hbtokyo.com/
Old 15 June 2003, 11:27 PM
XT
Scooby Regular

oj, here's my car...

XT's Zed

This is the company i got it from

Bell Trading

And this is another comapny with a BIG stock

TAU

[Edited by XT - 6/15/2003 11:27:58 PM]
Old 16 June 2003, 01:00 AM
fonzy
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies folks.

I am after a version 5 type r, so if one dosn't turn up here i think importing form japan is the way to go.
Old 16 June 2003, 08:49 AM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Told you about the nardi mate! Maybe thats why mine was going to fail

Atleast you know what it is and sort it out and take your test soon.

If your going to buy a Type R, i would look at speaking to an agent. You dont have to buy from a company but i would think about speaking to someone about the model reports etc
Old 16 June 2003, 10:17 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

neweira seem to get good reports from all over the place & i may end up using em to get my next car, when i can decide wot i want but tiz bound to be a rice rocket
Si
Old 16 June 2003, 12:24 PM
matt5cott
Scooby Regular

Talking

I can vouch for what scooby_si is saying, picking my car up from newera start of next month, cant wait!
Old 16 June 2003, 03:10 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Got mine from NewEra nearly 4 years ago, Miguel is very good, underestimated the delivery time horribly though [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Good price, good car, Took too long.... Probably not his fault but I just felt like I was being led on...

I would use him again to import though.
Old 16 June 2003, 03:20 PM
Mkhan
Scooby Regular

Talking

I used Iain Litchfield, car due in this weekend

I Won't get it for another two weeks though, got to be sva'd and mods put on :wink:
Old 16 June 2003, 04:28 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

RichB i'm intreged wot happened with the delivery time, i no it says circa 5 weeks on their site which is similar if not quicker to the amount of time it takes for stock which i have to get shipped from Japan for the company i work for (usually longer with customs etc ) just wondered if there was a bit of a mission getting a space on a vessel or fun & games dotting i's crossing t's with authortities etc either end or sum other ***** up? Just intreged where it went rong u understand?
Si
Old 17 June 2003, 09:37 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Now that I have run your message through my phone text message converter and I can half understand you...

Basically, The car was bought at auction around the end of April 99. I was told I would have it before the end of June. It took about two weeks or so to get on a boat, about 7 weeks on the boat, I saw the car and drove it at the docks in Southampton, then it went to their (then) UK partner to do the SVA and prep work. Getting the SVA took weeks, I felt I was stitched up at the end on the price as things needed doing, new tyres (I thought they were fine when I first saw it) and my original budget of 15k turned into somewhere near 18k. I got the car around the end of July (may have been later, it was nearly 4 years ago!).

The car had a Sat Nav system in Japan. When I got it, it didn't [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
The car had a Tommy Kaira front bumper which was OK in Japan. When I got it, it was very badly cracked.
The bumper had front spot lights on it in Japan. When I got it, it didn't.

BUT The car was a MY98 (Dec 97) version 4 STi with 22k (36kms) and an HKS hiper centre and rear box and Eibachs on it. No real history. It was immaculate, drove excellently, had a power run on it a while back, guy commented on how smooth the curve was, 279.6 bhp (can't remember the torque )
It had the original front spoiler in the car which was put on for the SVA (I had to pay to fit it), the original STI rear box and centre (I had to pay to refit it) and the original STI springs.

All in all I got a car for a smidge under 18k where dealers were selling them for 22k-25k.

I was just pished off with the under estimated waiting times and the missing sat/nav. The excuse was "The excess on the insurance is high plus you'd have to pay £500 to convert it anyway...". The spots "must have been removed by one of Terrys lads". Ironically the chap Terry, his surname was Fiddler!

All in all, I got a nice car at a good price. I do think that Miguel uses someone else now to do his UK side of the business. I also think he buys cars and ships them over and sells them as OnTheRoad prices so you should not suffer from lenghty waits or confusing prices!

Anyway, after reading that little lot you may think twice, but as I said before I would use him again, his side of the operation was actually very very good.

Phew - The End.

[Edited by RichB - 6/17/2003 9:39:15 AM]