ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

New Car Questions..

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2000, 03:34 PM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eh Up Folks!!

Picked up my new MY00 yesterday, put 220 miles on since 4pm!! Great motor, now I know what I have been missing all this time!!

A couple of questions though.....

Why oh why do I have a button solely dedicated to turning the brightness on the clock up and down???? I mean what a complete waste of a good button!!

Also,

Checked under the bonnet this morning..

1) Already have a stone chip on front of bonnet and
2)Some of the fins on the flat air thingy (under the scoop) are bent, as if a stone or something has been sucked in.....is this normal? Is there anything to prevent this? Does this cause any notable long term damage?

Many thanks in advance for any kind suggestions!!

Jim
Old 19 April 2000, 04:30 PM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Talking

Jim,

The darker colours tend to show up stone chips easily. Silver is a good colour to keep clean and not show stone chips. The Scooby paintwork is not the best in the world!

The flat air thingy is the Intercooler for the turbo. The fins are very fragile. Bent fins are not good as they make it less effective at cooling air. You can get an Intercooler protector (just a wire mesh) that fits on top of it from most performance places (eg. Power Engineering).

Enjoy the car !! Remember to let it cool down for a few mins after a run

Gethin
MY97 WRX

Old 19 April 2000, 04:43 PM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Cheers Gethin,

Yep, I have been letting in idle for a while after running, it does take patience though!

Ah, so the thingy is the intercooler, I see.....As you can tell, I am not the most mechanically minded...but I will learn!

Jim
Old 19 April 2000, 05:09 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Alledgedly tweazers (is that how you spell it?) are supposed to be good for straightening bent fins.

robski
Old 19 April 2000, 05:36 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'd use a wooden cocktail stick.

LOL

D.
Old 19 April 2000, 05:37 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Cool

Is that why Tommy Makkinen always has a pained expression on his face

Yex - feeling in a better mood now
Old 19 April 2000, 06:58 PM
moz.g
Scooby Regular

Jim

I have had my MY00 for about 3 weeks now and when I was washing it on Sunday I noticed a couple of chips on the bonnet,but what concerned me more was the 5 or 6 chips around the petrol cap area.I was wondering if anyone else had any paint problems on MYOO's?
The MY98 I owned(35000 miles) had a few on the bonnet but that was about it.

Graham
Old 20 April 2000, 12:58 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Cool

Barry,

If you know of any Finnish ladies leaning towards the 'dark side' I'll try and help them out

Yex

PS Isn't this BBS great - no pictures so nobody can see what a fat g*t I am
Old 20 April 2000, 09:04 AM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Moz G,

If it helps, I've got a MY99 (red) and it chips so easily its depressing, especially on the bonnet. The roads in North Wales are good fun but some are appalling. Working up a good coat of decent polish tends to help and I've got some touch up paint, but at the end of the day I think the paintjob is a bit poo.

blubs
Old 20 April 2000, 09:27 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Mr Yex, is there a suggestion of skulduggery in rallying. Surely not all fins are bent?

Cheeky Jim, you little tinker. I got my blue car last November. Beware of gritters! My bonnet front was not too bad until I lent the car to the wife and she drove it into Manchester in the rush hour (and naturally back again in the other rush hour). Gordon Bennett, the bonnet was a mess. Following other cars must be done at a respectable distance in these cars, plainly.

I have scuffed my nearside front spoiler down the side of a damp shed and reversed the car into a metal chain. I feel I cannot complain about Subaru's paint job, Mica finish looks brill in sunlight. It's a bit thin though. Did you read in the paper that blokes who worry about every chip and mark etc on their car apparently feel that these lower the prestige of their chosen vehicle and therefore their own self esteem is lowered by this. You couldn't make it up....

I am saving up to get some proper thick wax from our Wizard of Wax man so the stones just bounce off. Erm... I hope.
Old 20 April 2000, 11:34 AM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Talking

Barry,

You must be right....I had noticed my todger getting smaller!!!

I am not to worried about stone chips, just didn't expect them quite so soon...I get the impression the paint isn't quite as deep as you would expect....but not to worry, plenty of wax and elbow grease will cure the problem....

I had to lend it to the missus this morning, as I have to wave the Lexus goodbye.....so I will check this evening for broken spoilers, cracked headlights and more stonechips!!:rolleyes

Jim
Old 20 April 2000, 01:28 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Jim,

The paint is pants . . . . . I'm having a chip's away bloke repair the chips ( over 20 on the bonnet alone ) on mine in the next week or 2, it seems even the smallest piece of dirt chips the paint and as mine is DBM it chips white . . . white on blue looks great on a 6 month old car

But on a serious note the only thing I can fault it on in the last 6 months of bliss has to be the paintwork ...

Happy Motoring
K
Old 20 April 2000, 09:33 PM
KenG
Scooby Regular

I had my MY98 5 door in 'Reddish Blue' (what a naff name for a paint colour) for 2 years and 56K with hardly any chips. Paint on that was hard enough to be on the shuttle.

My new 4 door Prodrive'd dark blue MY00 scratches if you breathe on it. Maybe I should stop breathing on it?

Ken

Old 20 April 2000, 09:39 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

I know exactly what you meen Ken .. my daughters friend "brushed-up" against it last w/e and scratched the rear wing, I'm hoping with a bit of TLC and a cloth full of wax wizard's finest I might get it to polish out.....does any one know why it's such lousy soft paint ? perhaps a bodyshop tech might know ..... ?

K