Sponsored by:

Driving Abroad? HEEEELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2003, 08:07 AM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

(Posted this in the insurance section, but didn't have much luck, really need your help here guys..)

I have an Evo VI and am living in Spain at the moment indefinitely. I am insured with a UK company and have a policy with a permanent green card, ie I don't have to inform my insurance company if I drive abroad.

Now here's the tricky bit. I am supposed to let the company know if I am abroad for more than 30 days at a time, but if I were to have an accident whilst out here, would they expect proof of my outgoing journey or not?

I have tried to get insurance out here, but the fact that I am relatively young to have a high performance car in Spanish standards (29), plus that it is on UK plates and that I am not a resident, means that finding insurance is totally impossible.

So basically, can I get away with my UK policy out here? Would I be able to say that I was just on holiday if I had to claim, and would they expect proof of the outgoing journey?

Many thanks,

Martin.
Old 11 June 2003, 08:12 AM
Alpine99
Scooby Regular

The amunt of proof will no doubt be commensurate with the size of the claim.. If it's a little knock you'll probably get away with it.. Anything larger and they'll go all out not to pay... AT A GUESS
Old 11 June 2003, 08:54 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Why not just let them know you've been out there for more than 30 days? Even if they do charge, it's unlikely to be as much as taking out a whole new Spanish policy would. Better safe than sorry, you don't want to risk being dragged through the Spanish courts for driving without insurance...
Old 11 June 2003, 09:25 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Question

Why not return periodically thus resolving the problem, BTW some insurance companies Liverpool Victoria I think give 90 days cover.

Old 11 June 2003, 09:28 AM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Just insured with Liv Vic, they have stated 180 days abroad.
(i dont know if that was limited to within a one year period)
Old 11 June 2003, 10:08 AM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Tyhanks for the reply so far guys, but what I really wanna know is if the insurance company would require proof of travel if I had to claim?

Any ideas guy/gals?

Cheers,

M.
Old 11 June 2003, 11:10 AM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't the fact that if you had an accident abroad prove that you travelled abroad?

What I'd be more worried about is that if you have moved out there then you need to tell the insurnace about a change in circumstances, otherwise they could just invalidate your cover...
Old 11 June 2003, 11:36 AM
banshi
Scooby Regular

I think he meant proof of the date he and particularly his car were on the ferry

My feeling is that they would check. Why put a limit on the period of cover otherwise?

Can you not tell them you are about to take on a European contract and will be regularly working/travelling abroad and ask them to quote for an unlimited gren card?

Personally I wouldn't wish to give the Guarda Civil chance to draw my attention to the lack of insurance cover