Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your opinions please...dodgy car buying.

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2003, 09:50 PM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll keep this short....my wife has sold her litle toyota corolla 1.3gl tonight, to a dodgy little bloke who paid cash, great, a few hundred quid on the old pocket, the problem is...he refused to sign the log book and his since left our house with the whole thing without leaving the copy for my wife to send to the DVLA .

My main concern is that something may happen tonight that is illegal and involves the car that is now in his posession. Both my wife and the new owner have signed a written receipt confirming the sale but we obviously do not know whether the address he has given is correct or not. I'm on the verge of contacting the local police to inform them of the transfer until we can contact the DVLA.

What to you good people think on this matter? Am I right to be concerned? The new owner said that he didn't want there to show too many owners on the logbook, so obviously going to try and sell it on.

Thanks guys and girls.

Skoosh.
Old 10 June 2003, 10:00 PM
smellyvag
Scooby Regular

Angry

Personally i would suggest kicking the dodgy little bloke in the head, but chances are that you wont see him again. The other thing to consider is speeding and parking tickets, all of which will come to your address.

Dont know what the police will say. Really if he was a trader, you should have torn the red section off the log book, to send to DVLA. Dont lose that receipt whatever you do. Contact the DVLA tomorrow. As long as you notify them, you will be ok.

In future, dont let the wife sell the car!
Old 10 June 2003, 10:03 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

And make sure you both have alibi's and know your whereabouts in case the car is used for something illegal (which sounds very likely)
Old 10 June 2003, 10:13 PM
Dazza012
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

i would contact the police 2nite, cos if it ends up inside a shop front there gonna come knocking ur door down at 3 in the morning, plus all speedin / parking tickets that u receive unfortunatly YOU will be liable for them, as my mate found out, and your recipt won't help as anyone can write one out, plus if u don't pay any of the tickets/fines then send them now straight to the baliffs who charge god know what on top just for coming out to give u the bill..........you have been warned.
Moral of the story is..
Never ever leave ur missus on her own if ur selling the car always mmake sure ur that someone is with her,brother/father/mate
Old 10 June 2003, 10:14 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

It wouldn't actually be daft to speak to your local police station and even get the little man's address checked out by them, if it doesn't fit then at least you have an "action" logged with them.

This will save a lot of bother should the car be featured on crime watch.

Contact the DVLC too although without the paperwork they might not be able to do a great deal, but again it's logging information that counts.
Old 10 June 2003, 10:21 PM
Dazza012
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

try directory enguires if u have a name and address for his phone number ????? that should tell u if all is ok or not as the case may be.....
Old 10 June 2003, 10:21 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

He's just bought it to resell probably - wouldn't worry too much.

Was a bit silly though, but don't fret till you hear anything.

I bought a 309 Gti as a stopgap till I got my loan through a few weeks ago - I didn't sign the V5 and kept it, as I knew i'd be selling the car within a few weeks, just kept a receipt and gave vendor a copy - he never even had my address! Lucky for him, I am not dodgy and he trusted me.

Trending Topics

Old 10 June 2003, 10:23 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Totally ignore Sulli ffs, trust nobody, certainly don't act when you hear something.

Beat the little man to it.
Old 10 June 2003, 10:33 PM
pblakeway
Scooby Regular

Have you seen the bailifs on tv, that should be a warning.

been there. only got stung for an £80 ticket ended up paying it in the end as i hadnt informed dvla and the new owner claimed he bought it at a later date. thank god it wasnt a speeding ticket,or worse.

talk to DVLA first thing in the morning.
Old 10 June 2003, 10:35 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

Fair point spoon, just trying to put his mind at rest, but I guess you are right, beat him to it just in case (probably nowt though, I hope)
Old 10 June 2003, 10:38 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Agree Sulli, probably nothing but probably is a word that leaves has too many variables in this case.
Old 10 June 2003, 10:38 PM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

GET THIS....I've just rang the police and they said that by selling the car and not keeping the slip on logbook and letting them know is actually admitting to breaking the law !!!!

If that car is used in illegal activities tonight then it comes back to us, rightly so.

So, I've rang the buyer tonight and he's going to come round and exchange the docs, turns out he is going to sell it on.

He said he was too busy cooking in his restaurant to come back tonight. Fingers crossed he comes tomorrow, at least his mobile number checks out, for now !!!!

Thanx for your replies, won't slep tonight though, wonder if he'll come for the scoob at 2 am?

Skoosh the worrier.
Old 10 June 2003, 10:39 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

Told ya - if it was dodgy he'd not have left his real number - dinae worry son!
Old 10 June 2003, 10:41 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Skoosh, you've told the police now anyway even though their response was unfortunately typically arsé, it is logged.

Old 10 June 2003, 10:44 PM
jusb
Scooby Regular

report it to the police asap in case of any comebacks, if there is'nt any well no harm done.
Old 10 June 2003, 11:23 PM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

Police didn't log it as I have no proof that I sold the car. Yes I rang the station but could be after an alibi, thats what they said anyway.

If it had been logged, we could be in **** for law-breaking.

It's a waiting game now folks.

Skoosh.

p.s: I didn't give the police any personal details at all, totally anonymous phonecall to them.
Old 10 June 2003, 11:23 PM
Attu
Scooby Regular

Id say he is selling the car on quick and didnt want another keeper being logged on the reg document ?

Andy
Old 11 June 2003, 08:53 AM
barrybudden
Scooby Regular

I sold a car once and I think the guy gave me a duff address. In N.Ireland we have to fill out a V5 after disposal of the vehicle so I sent it in and about a month a speeding fine lands on the mat for a couple of days after the car had been sold so I put on it "see the V5 with DVLNI as the vehicle was sold."
You could mabe try being economical with the truth?
Old 11 June 2003, 09:16 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Skoosh - hate to say this, but if you rang them from your mobile or home phone , they already know who you are. Sounds like the officer in question must of given you some friendly advice as to not say anymore than you had.

Good luck today.
Old 11 June 2003, 01:51 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Attu - then as a dealer/trader he should still fill in part of the V5. If not then you are transferring ownership of the car and must fill the V5.

The car was sold for a few hundred quid, so I'm guessing it's fairly old. As such I doubt one more owner would make any difference to the resale value. The only thing it would do is set alarm bells ringing for a buyer as to why he was selling so quickly, but so many people 'dabble' in buying and selling cars a few questions would sort out if he was in 'the trade' - so offer less