Sponsored by:

Rear Tinted windows

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2000, 12:21 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Should have the pimp, sorry WRX wagon, this week.

I have a question though.

The rear side, and rear windscreen are black tinted, take a look at markuswarren.freehosting.net/carpics.html to see what I mean.

Any idea if you can remove the tint and how would one go about it?

Why do I want to do this? well the car might get me a rep as a pimp, what with the big 'zorst and the interior ultraviolet lights that I've just been told it has!
Old 18 April 2000, 01:02 PM
JamesH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Don't know but I think the topic was covered about 6 months ago regards 22b & Type R imports.

Looks good to me, but don't like the look of the pedals. Boost gauge included as well

You might find all sorts of trick parts in there. DaveU bought a "Standard" Skyline & he has alsorts of trick devices he doesn't know what to do with that cost loads of money, including v. expensive exhaust.

Old 18 April 2000, 01:07 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

If you get rid of all the other stickers off it and decide to leave the windows it would look OK.
Since I took the WRX sticker off the back of my black STi with blacked out windows I don't think it looks as 'pimpy'. How about removing it from the rear passenger windows and leaving the rear quater and back?
The HKS exhaust didn't help the 'pimp' factor either, I went back to the original STi back box.
My tint looks like it is a film of some sort and would probably come off using a hairdryer and a sharp knife, I'm too too chicken to try. Let me know how you get on
Old 18 April 2000, 01:48 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

JamesH :
hmm, my eyesight's not so good. Where'd you see the boost guage in the pic?

As for other goodies, yeah, the imports found this out. It's got a battery guage, ultraviolet lights, and god knows what else! v good value for money if you ask me!

RichB:
As for the white stickers, well, they are, as we speak, being removed. I thought they were tacky as well.

--

The exhaust I'm told is just the backbox, but maybe a bit max powery for my taste. Guess I'll give it a try and if I don't like it I'll change it.

Only other mod's I'm going to make to it are adding headlamp and foglamp protectors. I know from experience how much a replacement one of these fellas costs. My saxo VTS got a cracked foggie lens and it cost about 120 quid to replace.
Old 18 April 2000, 03:06 PM
JamesH
Scooby Regular

Talking

In Pic 4 (the interior) thought poss a pillar mounted something? Top RHS

Tried to play with images in photoshop, but angle of glass precludes further confirmation.

If not, what is it??????

Saw the foot-print
Old 18 April 2000, 03:37 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Markus,

Have you considered getting some tasteful graphics to put on the tinted side windows... how about "Who's the daddy?" in bright dayglo yellow?

Moray
(sorry, I'll get my coat...)
Old 18 April 2000, 04:12 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Smile

Markus,
My Hiper exhaust (which is For Sale) is a different size to the standard STI system. I think the STi centre section is longer because it has a cat and the back box is shorter. I could get one centre section width ways in the car whereas its replacement wouldn't fit. All I'm trying to say is beware - changing the back box may require changing the center section. Others may know different and correct me.
Moray - Nice touch!
Old 18 April 2000, 04:31 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

JamesH:
Had another look and see what you mean now. I've still no idea what the heck the thing is. Guess I'll find out when get the car.

Moray:
LOL! My girlfriend suggested much the same thing. Don't think she's too impressed with the pimp mobile. Pitty it's not P reg as I could have registered it as 'P1 MPL' as in Pimp 1!!!!
The best suggestion I've had is to get some stickers with Ali G phrases on them! sounds cool

[This message has been edited by Markus (edited 18-04-2000).]
Old 18 April 2000, 04:36 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

BTW: P1MPL would read "Pimple" to me, not "Pimp 1"! Similar effect though, init!

Moray
Old 18 April 2000, 04:50 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Moray:
grr, you're right! maybe I wanna read my text before I hit submit!
Old 18 April 2000, 05:50 PM
JAMES BUSHELL
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi all

My WRX also has these hideous aftermarket tints! - You think black is bad, mine are gold (Pics in the galley - red with gold windows!.

The only advantage they have is that nobody can see in (security aspect!).

I was also told that a hair dryer will weaken the adhesive and allow the film peel off? quite how true this is i have no idea - but i will be trying it soon.

It can't be any harder than removing the wind/rain deflectors form the paint work above the windows - Pliers, Blisters, Methalated spirit, cloth and about 12 hours!!!

James
Old 18 April 2000, 10:22 PM
Jo Peters
Scooby Regular

I have a MY95 WRX in Silver and it actually looks OK with the blacked out windows (not too pimpish) although they do call me the drug dealer at work - jealousy I think - the best they can manage is a Calibra and a 5 series Beemer! I agree with the WRX sticker on the back - that came straight off - it's totally de-badged now and it looks good.

The blacked out back windows also hide the kiddy seats in the back! I'm a cool mum!

Jo
Old 18 April 2000, 11:17 PM
Yosser
Scooby Regular

I've got a Silver 5 door STI3 - Blacked out windows came with it - nobody has mentioned pimp or drug dealer to me!
Its also got a Super Drager exhaust.
I was chatting to some other owners at the Essex Police course and mos said that they would leave them if they had the choice.
I did however have the red STI mudflaps removed and the nasty WRX sticker removed off the back.
I quite like the security aspect.

Yos