P1. An unbiased opinion!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2000, 10:19 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Dear all
Thought I'd drop you a line on my old mates password, not being a Subaru owner or particularly fond of the car I found myself blatting around Buckinghamshire today in the back seat of the controversial P1.
I own an R34 GTR VSPEC which I picked up two hours before taking to the back roads with Arron, and I can tell you all the car is definately worth the wait and in my opinion superior to the EVO in every way.
Unfortunately we were unable to check out the validity of Autocars comments on the weak brakes as the P1 had the £1500 upgraded brakes fitted, however I can truly say that I have never traveled so rapidly between apexes and never felt so confident in a car with someone else at the wheel.
The performance is awsome, the handling about as neutral as any permanent four wheel drive car could ever be, my only critism would be the finish, which probably does not do justice to 31K's worth of motor.
For details on how the P1 stacks up as a drivers car I'll hand over to Arron!!(Steve)
What an interesting day we`ve had today!
Firstly I must comment on how amazing the Skyline is!
Even though Steve is only running the thing in we`ve had some top fun......and all under 6000 rpm, but this is`nt a Skyline site so i`ll shut up.
The P1 is IMHO the ultimate Impreza as promised. It took me only a couple of corners to get a feel for the thing,warm the brakes etc...
It handles much better than I expected and is also a lot stiffer than the press made it out to be and as the speed increases the work done on the different dampers etc really started to show. The engine doesnt seem to pick up at low revs as good as a uk car but is deceivingly fast. It revs so freely right round to the 8K without any loss of performance and the car was fitted with a Prodrive backbox which sounded the b******s.At first I thought the car seemed more nervous at the back than any other Impreza but once you get a feel for it the confidence it inspires is awesome.On a couple of revolutions of a roundabout I did get understeer but not as much as I expected after reading Autocar. I left foot brake as a matter of instinct and soon found the cars overall balance a joy...and yes it does lift-off oversteer and yes it does power oversteer!
If you are on the waiting list and you had any doubts dont let anyone change your minds.
I`d like to thank Prodrive for todays test and look forward to hearing from anyone regarding the P1.Dont however believe all that you read in the magazines, if you own an airfield and only drive on it then buy an Evo!
PS If I had a bit more cash i`d buy a Skyline!
Old 14 April 2000, 11:19 PM
Rum
Scooby Regular

......*S*.....not bad for someone who doesn't own/drive a Scoob *LOL*...cheers
Old 15 April 2000, 07:47 AM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Cant you read. I do own a Subaru and my neighbour was in the back, its a two man appraisal!
Old 15 April 2000, 05:59 PM
Kevin Tree
Scooby Regular

Arron,

What is changed in the upgrade? The originals are 4 pot ventilated, not being clued up on these things, can you explain please.

Kevin
Old 15 April 2000, 06:19 PM
Ridge_back
Scooby Newbie

Brake upgrade is from the standard set up to an Alcon brake kit.

It isn't too difiicult to improve upon the standard brakes.

Old 15 April 2000, 08:38 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Thanks Ridgeback they are indeed Alcon callipers with uprated rear pads thrown in for good measure
Old 16 April 2000, 09:42 PM
Rum
Scooby Regular

Apologies Arron - One too many beers, eyes blurred...and typing yet again before reading and understanding the text....DOH!!!....sorry again M8...*S*
Old 16 April 2000, 09:47 PM
Kevin Tree
Scooby Regular

Thankyou
Old 17 April 2000, 10:01 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Wink

Brake kit ordered today!