Sponsored by:

UK Supercar Law?

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2000, 02:30 PM
Lovejoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Greetings from across the pond. A while ago I was watching the BBC, when the topic of bad driving and Supercars came up. There was growing concern about people buying high-powered sports cars and not being able to control them, Rowan Atkinson ring a bell. The article said that there may be a law passed that new owners of these supercars must take a special driving course in order to keep the car. I was wondering if such a law had passed, and if so, would the scoob be included?

Lovejoy
Old 17 April 2000, 02:52 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Sounds like a good idea... I would be happy to do this, assuming it wasn't just another lightly disguised government Tax burden being foisted upon those who will probably be able to afford it. Ideally insurance companies could take notice and drop premiums, ha ha.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could pass a high-performance advanced driving license class and then be entitled to drive at a slightly higher "advanced" national limit. Unfortunatly, that would make a mess of all the fixed speed gatsos that are out on national limit roads at the moment...

Time for me to wake up, me thinks...

Moray
Old 17 April 2000, 04:44 PM
Nightmare
Scooby Regular

still be a good idea...... If these 'fix your speed from space' gadgets ever come off, who knows - perhaps that will be a possibility....

btw, I think you'll find that Mr Atkinson was actually a semi-pro racing driver and is extremely skilled....(and no Im not taking the p1ss!)
Old 17 April 2000, 07:39 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Since Gatsos are fixed speed limit and not discretionary, they allow trucks and other vehicles that may be required to drive at a lower speed limit to effectively be limited the same as cars!
How is that for commonsense, since the reason they are limited is because of their weight, size, stopping distances, poor handling etc not just because of an outdated fuel economy law!
What do you always see in a major road accident ? Yes the jacknifed artic ! How are they affected by Gatsos ? !

Mick
Old 17 April 2000, 07:56 PM
leaskc
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yeah, and from memory Mr Atkinson also has an HGV licence (something rings a bell about him racing trucks from time to time)

Bob.
(Funny name for a girl)
Old 17 April 2000, 08:16 PM
Lovejoy
Scooby Regular

Red face

What!!!!! Mr. Bean is a DRIVER!! Oh GOD clutch the pearls girls! I would have never thunk it......and yes, I prejudged him/type cast him....sorry. I wonder which handled better to him...the F1 or the mini!!

Lovejoy