ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Servicing

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2003, 12:54 AM
jonb2010
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

I am looknig to buy an Impreza, hopefully around 99-2001 depending on funds. I am not sure how much servicing costs are so wondered if you guys could give me some advice.

What are the intervals of the small and large services ? Is there a particular service I should look for being done before I buy to save me a lot of money ?

How frequently do the expensive bits need replacing (clutch, exhaust, brake discs, cam belt) ?

Any advice would be very much appreciated
Old 29 May 2003, 08:23 AM
Goldfinger
Scooby Regular

Jon,

I had a MY99 Turbo for nearly 2 years from 28k and then sold the car - reluctantly - about 5 weeks ago for a UK300 PPP. If you go for a classic shape (assuming you go for a Turbo) like my previous car was here's my experience of costs ...

Petrol - on average 280 miles to a tank (c. £45) which = about 23-24 mpg
Tyres - I never needed a new set of tyres throughout the lifetime of the car (normally 10-15k seems the norm ... and for those of you who don't know me I don't drive like a pu$$y ), looking at around the £80 per corner for some Toyo Proxes T1-S; I had crappy Avon ZZ1's on mine
Servicing - 7.5k mile increments on the classics (10k on the newer WRX models). The large 30k and 45k (cambelt change, if the car has done more than this make sure the cambelt was changed) cost just over £400 whilst the smaller ones cost about £130. Nothing major needed changing. The 60k service will also be around the £400 mark
Parts - pads got changed once which cost just over £100, discs not sure as mine got changed under warranty Never had a clutch go, exhaust never (had a lovely sounding Scoobysport backbox which is guaranteed for 25 years)

Other than this the only costs were insurance (look on the relevant threads in the Insurance section, should get good advice there) ... try Privilege, Direct Line, Tesco, Greenlight Insurance, Liverpool Victoria, and a few others ... should definitely shave some pounds off here too.

Anyway, all the best with your potential purchase ... sure you won't regret it

Cheers
Phil
Old 29 May 2003, 09:25 AM
jonb2010
Scooby Newbie

Hi Phil

cheers for the advice that was just what I was after. Looks like I have no excuse but to get an Impreza once I sell my MR2 ;-)

I can't wait.

Are there any buying guides which show what to look out for when buying second hand ?
Old 29 May 2003, 09:42 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2
Thumbs up

Try a search on Scoobynet ...lots of info or try this site ...
www.sidc.co.uk
Just do it and get one
Old 29 May 2003, 09:54 AM
Goldfinger
Scooby Regular

Jon - no problems at all. You won't regret buying a scooby, they are cracking motors ( after I sold the MY99 scoob for a different car it took me less than 3 weeks to come back and buy the UK300 )

Worth getting a car with full Subaru service history and some remaining warranty if you can. May be worth taking along somebody who's got a scoob or knows what to look for if you're buying second hand ... where do you live (roughly) mate ? If you are local ......

Have a look in the 'For Sale' board as there are generally some lovely, cherished examples in there that are mainly sensibly priced and known cars ... see how you get on there's a scoob for all budgets too ...

Good luck !

Cheers
Phil
Old 29 May 2003, 10:01 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2
Thumbs up

try this site also ...Subaru Information