Subaru South Africa warranty claim rejection

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2003, 08:41 AM
swan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

'ello all,

As we all know a manufacturer can generally invalidate a vehicle's entire warranty if you fit any non standard parts and Subaru is no exception. Subaru South Africa in particular have always been understood to be reasonable about it, eg. if you have engine mods and your central locking stops working they would honour the warranty claim.

This is no longer the case in South Africa. I have had a warranty claim rejected for a "flicker lever" (light switch / indicator unit). The reason supplied (in writing by the way) is "Warranty was cancelled due to modifications on vehicle". Clearly the free flow system caused the switch unit to fail, I'm just not bright enough to understand how.

For me, this is the last straw with Subaru South Africa. Expect to see plenty of examples from now on regarding the general lack of professionalism and incompetence that I've had to suffer with them.
Old 23 May 2003, 01:43 PM
swan
Scooby Regular

A scan of the relevant part of the "Warranty Claim Not Authorised" letter.

Somewhere between the dealer and head office they even got the problem wrong on the warranty rejection. The lever was not broken off, the switch simply gave problems in that if the lights were on when you indicated, they tended to turn off. Frantic jiggling would normally get them back eventually, not something you really want to be doing when driving at night. And I have a faxes where I detailed this problem to the dealer so no "misunderstanding" can be claimed.
Old 23 May 2003, 02:15 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Check the wording of the warranty - failed due to mods, or failed if modded? There used to be a causal link.
Old 23 May 2003, 02:48 PM
swan
Scooby Regular

To answer your question, from the SSA website:
"Every Subaru sold in South Africa is warranted against any defect in material or workmanship for a period of 3-years or 100 000kms, whichever comes first.

This warranty excludes certain maintenance items which are subject to wear and tear. Batteries, shock absorbers clutches and exhaust systems are warranted for one year or 30 000kms, whichever comes first.

Only genuine parts fitted by an authorised dealer are warranted and any parts fitted without Subaru's approval will void the warranty. This includes exhausts, filters, and parts not of the original specifications of the vehicle.

Genuine Subaru replacement parts are likewise warranted for a period of 12 months."
Old 23 May 2003, 03:06 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Question

When did you buy it - recently? As I thought that IM recently changed the wording to remove the causal link. If you got it 2-3 yrs ago, you might have had different wording.

Sorry, top-of-my-head stuff here...
Old 23 May 2003, 03:08 PM
swan
Scooby Regular

It's a MY01, will see what's in the paperwork supplied with the car. I've run into a similar issue that you've raised with the maintenance plan, but that's a story for another day (and is still underway).
Old 26 May 2003, 06:38 AM
swan
Scooby Regular

'ello Brenden,

Had a look at the service book:
"The provisions of this Warranty shall not apply to any SUBARU vehicle:
a) Which has been subject to negligence, abuse, nuisance, ignorance, accident, alteration or modification or;
"

Nice and wide...
Old 26 May 2003, 10:09 AM
Davestamf
Scooby Regular

It is not just a case of Subaru being fussy, all car manufacturers have the same clauses and have had for a good many years. Nor is this confined to cars. If you buy a Playstation, open it up and do nothing to the components, it is clear that the unit has been tampered with and, guess what, no warranty. There are possibly a few people that haven't heard about this, and have unwittingly invalidated their warranty, if so, they also need to be informed of other, generally known issues, such as doing 74 in a 30 speed limit will risk your licence, (yes, it was on this board a couple of weeks back) and smoking is bad for your health.
Old 26 May 2003, 10:30 AM
swan
Scooby Regular

As per my original email, no disputing that. But it like saying your wide screen TV was too wide and so it must have broken your power cable. ? Something else I've noticed in the warranty book around invalidating your warranty:

"c) which has been subjected to any form of competition or;"

So no more track days, gymkhana's, etc. for anyone that likes their warranty. I can see why you have to speed on public roads.
Old 26 May 2003, 11:01 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

a non competitive track day or academy days are fine because they are NON COMPETITIVE. My insurance is the same, not covered for competitive stuff but normal track days/academy days etc. are covered.

To be competitive it has to be either a)timed, b) organised as a race or c)event that is measured somehow.
Old 26 May 2003, 11:06 AM
swan
Scooby Regular

The local Subaru club organises an annual event at a local track. Laps are timed. Some owners have competed at local gymkhana's - laps are timed.

Interestingly enough, local insurance companies take a much harder line wrt track time - whether it's competitive or not, timed or not, take your car on a track and you're on your own.
Old 26 May 2003, 11:19 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Depends on the ins company. Mine covers me fully. Had to phone them a few times to be sure but everytime they said Yes I am covered (as long as it's not officially timed, racing, competitive etc.).

Varies from insurer to insurer though.
Old 26 May 2003, 11:33 AM
swan
Scooby Regular

I've tried the larger insurance houses as well as a number of brokers, even the AA. None that I've contacted will give any cover.
Old 26 May 2003, 02:10 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

The wording as you put it is TOO wide.

"...not apply to any vehicle that has been altered or modified." Erm, even with Subaru parts by a Subaru dealer? You added a Subaru towbar so it voids the warranty?

"accident" - great. Two months after purchase, someone dings your wing while they reverse out of a car park space, you get it repaired at the Subaru dealer under Stevie Wonder's insurance, but now apparently your warranty is void.

There must be more to that than meets my eye. Surely there is an "unless" clause?
Old 26 May 2003, 02:31 PM
swan
Scooby Regular

'ello Brenden,

Ok, started typing it out but that's too much like work. I don't see anything like an "unless/except" cause.

Scan of warranty portion:

Old 26 May 2003, 02:33 PM
swan
Scooby Regular

"...not apply to any vehicle that has been altered or modified." Erm, even with Subaru parts by a Subaru dealer? You added a Subaru towbar so it voids the warranty?
I have been told in the past that fitting an STi boost gauge to a WRX would technically invalidate your warranty. If it didn't come standard with your model....
Old 26 May 2003, 03:08 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Bloody ridiculous wording. How can a vehicle be subject to ignorance? That's what happens when a bunch of Dutch expats translate Japanese

Sorry mate, I have to bow out of this, I don't see an obvious solution except to say that parts of part (a) don't make any sense, as above. If you want to get legal on it, I would look at SA consumer law, see if they strike out any clause as being too wide and unreasonable OR coz it's pointless gibberish, but TBH it will probably be more hassle than it's worth, and I don't think a court would strike the lot. As Subaru UK (IM) have changed the warranty wording to "any mods" rather than "mods which affect the car", there is precedent for Subaru SA meaning to do the same, even if their actual wording of it went **** over tit.

Old 26 May 2003, 03:18 PM
swan
Scooby Regular

Just hope Subaru UK don't follow SA's example!
Old 26 May 2003, 06:22 PM
Davestamf
Scooby Regular

swan

I can understand your frustration, and I did also understand that the fault with your light switch has no bearing on the modification you have fitted. But that's the whole point. If you make ANY kind of unofficial modification, your warranty may be void. I know that, and so do most other people, if this forum is any guide.
Old 26 May 2003, 08:24 PM
MurrayZA
Scooby Regular

I fear you be ****!ng into the wind swannie ol boy.
Old 26 May 2003, 09:46 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

I noted that the "reason" for rejection is:
"Warranty was cancelled due to modifications on vehicle"

So no beating around the bush, you modify the vehicle, your WHOLE warranty is void........bummer!!!
Old 27 May 2003, 06:46 AM
swan
Scooby Regular

Dave, as per my original message it's around the implementation of the warranty that my issue is about. And the lack of notification on warranty cancellation. I'm also curious on why Subaru South Africa don't invalidate all warranties of cars participating in "competitive" events like the warranty states. If nothing else I hope this serves as a warning to other owners not only not to modify their vehicles in any way but to ensure they don't participate in any competitive events. Or if they do, to do it with the knowledge that their warranty will be null and void.

Murray - immaterial. I don't expect Subaru South Africa to actually do anything about this but read above. How will the marque remain in the forefront of people's minds if the owners refuse to participate in track days, etc. because they want to keep their warranty?
Old 27 May 2003, 06:54 AM
MurrayZA
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately, Subaru is a very small volume vehicle in this country and it seems some preferential customers get better service and less hastles than others. It does make one feel that when everything keeps going right, everyone is happy, but as soon as it starts going wrong SSA are quick to dodge responsibility. You would think in a country (compared to the UK) where we pay close to the price of a UK STi for a WRX (equates to 23500 pounds or so) and the prices went up by over 5% with the introduction of the 03's (where in the UK the price actually dropped) that they would be prepared to spend a small slice of that keeping their customers happy with small, apparently very valid claims.
Old 27 May 2003, 10:35 AM
swan
Scooby Regular

Couldn't agree more. That's one of the reasons I'm putting together a site that will detail my experiences with Subaru South Africa. Hopefully I can help prevent others from making an expensive mistake or two.
Old 27 May 2003, 10:41 AM
MurrayZA
Scooby Regular

I think you could add the following somewhere:

"If you want to buy a car and modify it, ensure you have 30% of the car's value in cash reserve as you will potentially need this cash to fix any major problems that may arise."
Old 28 May 2003, 11:47 AM
swan
Scooby Regular

Could someone(s) please email me scans of what their warranty book says? I'd like more information on what the international versions look like if they differ from the SA version. email to swan@unix.za.net with the year and model.

TIA!
Old 28 May 2003, 01:20 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I'd put that request in a new thread swan, it's lost here.