Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Special Insurance for the Nurburgring?

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2003, 11:33 PM
Stu-exScoobOwner
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excuse the posting in General forum but I wanted some decent coverage.

Am off the the Ring with some fellow Caterham owners and it's the first time we've been.

My current insurance company were going to cover me then said no, as the ring is classed as a derestricted road/motor racing track/ airfield/de-restricted toll road/off road 4x4 event...can this be right?

One of my friends is insured through Tesco and they phones thwe underwriter who said as long as "the track hasn't been cornened off for RACING"

As racing is technically disallowed at the Nordschliefe.......where does that leave us?

I know plenty of Scoobynet members have been to the ring (none in the least Jon Felsted) - what do you recommend?

Old 20 May 2003, 11:57 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation

your normal road insurance is valid on the Nurburgring as long as the circuit isnt closed for a trackday or race.

The ring is a one way public toll road that is treated as a normal road under german trafic laws unless in a closed session.

The only way your insurance can be invalid is if they write to you and specifically exclude that road from your cover, otherwise it is just treated like any road in germany.
Old 21 May 2003, 12:26 AM
damo
Scooby Newbie

Wink

LOL at ex scoob Stu. Suspect you might not have got a sensible reply had people known who had started this thread!

http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/ttforumbbs/YaBB.pl?board=Flame;action=display;num=1052342927

Full marks for cheekiness tho!

Old 21 May 2003, 07:47 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
see you won't be taking the TT to the ring then?

Don't blame you I hired one from Koln airport and I had more fun tracking a diesel Focus than the TT- total bag of sh1te. Nice interior though if that's your bag.
Old 21 May 2003, 10:13 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do you need to tell your insurance u r going to nurburgring then? if it is not closed off for an event?
Old 21 May 2003, 02:47 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation

no, you just need to get a green card for european cover as you would for driving anywhere in mainland europe.

The ring is just a public road subject to all german road laws. You can be procecuted for speeding in certain sections of it, you will be subject to a police investigation should you crash and hurt someone. You will also be liable to pay damages, compensation should you be involved in an RTA.

The ring is not a trackday, it's a normal public road.