ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

RB5 suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2000, 09:05 PM
Ken S
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have been offered the suspension from a year old RB5 as she (yes, she) is having £7500 worth of Prodrive stuff added. I drive a lowly MY95 of standard UK vintage, what sort of difference could I expect and will it fit?
Note that price has not been negotiated yet.
Cheers
Ken.
Old 12 April 2000, 09:46 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Ken,

Just a few words of warning. The standard RB5 suspension is exactly the same as a UK turbo of the same vintage. This is no bad thing of course .

After a year old the suspension will have had some hammering. As long as you get it for a good price should be an improvement .

Depending of the mileage of the car it coming off and if it been out on the track.

Price up the standard stuff first from your dealer then haggle . Also check with the dealer than it will fit with no problems.

cheers

chrisp
Old 14 April 2000, 11:28 AM
JohnS

A Subaru dealer some time ago was selling the standard suspension from MY98 and MY99 cars for £15+VAT per corner (ie £60+VAT for the whole lot). Brand new, delivery miles only.

That was until BBS owners cleared out almost all of his stocks within a few days

Fitting newer suspension will make a noticable difference to your car, as generally dampers get "tired" after a certain length of time (usually about 30k miles depending on how hard you drive). Although not dangerous, they do start to slowly deteriorate in performance, and after 5 years and 60k miles you should notice a big difference with new stuff
Old 14 April 2000, 01:44 PM
andyp
Scooby Regular

Ken,

I too have a "lowly" MY95 (even lower now it's got Prodrive suspension on it!). There will be a very noticable different if you buy the shocks AND and new rear anti-roll bar AND change the geometry to Prodrive settings.

Your friend may be sticking with her original anti-roll bar so you'll have to source it yourself (about £120 from an authorised dealer). The geometry will need reseting anyhow if you are changing the shocks - so you might as well get them set to Prodrive setting.

Hope all goes well,

Andy
Old 14 April 2000, 06:15 PM
Ken S
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for your help chaps. Her car is due back at the end of next week, so I will wait and see what sort of money she wants.
JohnS - that sort of price would do! Was this Nobles of Peniciuk by any chance?
Cheers
Ken
Silver MY95 Scoobysport exhaust, OEM 16in Wheels, K&N filter + well used suspension.
Old 14 April 2000, 06:53 PM
mark245
Scooby Regular

I changed springs and dampers on my MY 94 to later items, and was suprised at how little difference there was[ My car had done about 50,000 miles then]. Crisp is right , it's the diference between fresh suspension and old stuff, but suprisingly little change in spec. As Andy says, the thicker anti-roll bar will be a noticeable improvement. all in all, it's worth doing, just wish I had got it at £15 a corner!!!

Regards, Mark