Sponsored by:

Best tunning route for MY03 WRX ??

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2003, 11:58 AM
integrale
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help with this one.....

Just finished running in my WRX 2003 and am now looking to get some more poke out of the motor. I'm after a good safe increase in power but ultimately something that is going to be easy to take off the car just incase i need to use my warranty in the event something goes wrong !?
So then my guess is a full de-cat exhaust system (any recommendations), new air filter plus an ECU upgrade, either GEMS, LINK or MOTEC.
Couple of questions: Has anyone on here tuned there MY03 WRX ?
What power increase do you think I'll see (if it's no more than the PPP kit then it's not worth the aggro) ?
And how much do you think it'll cost and who should i get to fit it ?

Cheers guys, any help much appreciated.
Old 20 May 2003, 12:16 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

PPP is the only way to go with a new car......IMHO. Why pay all that cash and then risk the warranty?
Old 20 May 2003, 12:40 PM
micaAB
Scooby Regular

got to agree with the last comment, i would love a bit more poke but wouldn't jeopardise my warranty.

thinking about PPP because my 03 wrx has now been run in (and i might have the cash soon), but looking at the subaru impreza website about PPP it makes you wonder how accurate the claims are:
http://212.134.82.184/accessories/images/sacc2565.pdf

this states that the 0-60 for a standard wrx is 5.5? 5.9 and 6.1 were the quoted figures, where's this confusion come from.

not unhappy with my wrx, now that's it's run in hopefully it'll loosen up and then i'll see what happens.
Old 20 May 2003, 12:54 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Have to agree if you want to keep that warranty PPP is the only way to go. Then you need 18 inch wheels,Bigger brakes,new springs and the list goes on, and when you have done all of that it will be time to sell!

Have Fun

John
Old 20 May 2003, 01:33 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

If you have the spare cash PPP transforms the car. Had mine fitted at 1K and it's now a seriously quick car for the money.

PPP only for a new car IMO.

Apparently the figures quoted on the Prodrive web-site aren't even the best ones they recorded, and now I've driven mine for a couple of weeks I can well believe them.

Dan
Old 20 May 2003, 01:44 PM
vash
Scooby Regular

Ive ordered an STI8 when it arrives im going to stick on a HKS full system Pipe... And A pink STI badge on the grill !
Im gonna risk the warrantly coz im like that

The pipe alone should give me an extra 15-20bhp.. and that should be me tbh!!

I would go with the PPP but for 2k i feel you can get better.. Plus it makes the car mine rather than the same as all the other lucky sti owners!! (plus a shed load louder RRRRROOOOOOOAAAAAAAR!)

Im sure i will get a bit flamed for dissing PPP its good i just got a different view on things
Old 20 May 2003, 02:03 PM
integrale
Scooby Regular

yeah i hear what your saying with regards to the warranty but i've read that the motec (and other units?) are "plug and play", so in simple terms they can just be plugged in for extra oomph and then unplugged should you need the old ECU in for, dare i say it, servicing, warranty purposes, etc.
Just thinking that i may save myself a packet of cash (which could be spent on new ICE, or suspension geom, etc) and still end up with more power than the PPP kit.
Someone out there must have done something other than PPP'd there MY03.
Saying all this i havent driven a PPP'd wrx so dont really know what i'm missing out on!
One last thing if i do go for the PPP then i'm going to get a small polished stainless steel badge made for the boot (need something visual for my £1600 !), where the STi badge's sit, it'll read either "265 bhp Prodrive Performance Enhanced" or "265 bhp PPP", not sure yet. A really good mate of mine makes high quality stainless badges up cheap as chips and just thought it'd be nice, so if anyone else fancies one lemme know (or if you have a better idea then likewise lemme know).
Old 20 May 2003, 04:35 PM
Beemer_Deano
Scooby Regular

originally posted by micaAB
thinking about PPP because my 03 wrx has now been run in (and i might have the cash soon), but looking at the subaru impreza website about PPP it makes you wonder how accurate the claims are
I was thinking along similar lines - I noticed they say the comparisons were carried out on their test track, which could account for the faster stock 0-60 time, but they say the PPP 0-60 is .7 of a second quicker, yet the standing quarter mile is only .6 of a second quicker? Doesn't that mean somewhere along the line the PPP lost at least .1 of a second against the standard car? I'm probably wrong though - I have enough trouble with speed/time as it is - speed/time/distance gives me a headache .

Deano
Old 20 May 2003, 04:53 PM
Nick Wadeson
Scooby Regular

it'll read either "265 bhp Prodrive Performance Enhanced"
Integrale, the Prodrive name and logo is trademarked. You do not have the authority to produce badges etc.

Nick.

[Edited by Nick Wadeson - 5/20/2003 4:54:26 PM]
Old 20 May 2003, 05:05 PM
Beemer_Deano
Scooby Regular

Wow Nick, that's a bit heavy handed isn't it? I'd planned on getting "Prodrive" on my number plates when I get my PPP, but I don't want to be a criminal

Deano

*EDIT* - oops, sorry, I hadn't seen the bit where Integrale offers them to other people. My apologies. I assume there'd be little problem having a badge/number plate for my personal use, but I won't ask you to "authorise" it by giving a response. Sorry once again.

While you're on, can you correct my dumbness regarding the PPP'd vs standard WRX times

[Edited by Beemer_Deano - 5/20/2003 5:11:11 PM]
Old 20 May 2003, 05:15 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

ive got the prodrive swoosh on the back of my car

see you in court
Old 20 May 2003, 05:23 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Can you plug & unplug the 03 ECU's at will like the earlier cars without having to reset the immobiliser keys?

I know you could on the earlier cars as I did many times on my 99MY. Just wondering if it is any different on the 03.

Anybody know?
Old 20 May 2003, 05:31 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Integrale

We have fitted full exhausts and remapped the ECU with Ecutek software on a fair few WRX03s. Results are around 285bhp and 275lb of torque. The biggest gain is in overall driveability with excellent spool up and full boost from around 2600rpm.

For comparison purposes, this work £1911 inc which is probably less that just a Motec and map (ie the exhaust is extra).

LOL at Wakeboarder
Old 20 May 2003, 06:25 PM
MurrayZA
Scooby Regular

I'm curious as to how robust the 03's will be as:

1) 03's standard tune is for 98 octane fuel compared to 95 on 01/02
2) Higher standard output than 01 on 03
3) The big "?" - how does the 9.0 compression ratio really affect tuning...
Old 20 May 2003, 07:12 PM
integrale
Scooby Regular

Nick - oops....sorry didnt mean to infringe on any copyright laws. in actual fact it would probably be great advertising for you guys, although i know u'd never be able to permit it.
I wont even ask about it reading "265 bhp PPP Enhanced"...just in case.
Saying all this surely prodrive themselves make a logo or some sort of quality signage for the boot of sccobies ?. After all i'm sure owners would like to inform people they just overtaken whats under the bonnet.
Old 20 May 2003, 07:14 PM
integrale
Scooby Regular

pete - what exhausts do u fit and are they full de-cat ?
Old 20 May 2003, 08:12 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Pete Croney's website

Steve