Gearbox and warranty who should pay?

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2003, 04:36 PM
Bullet Proof
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Help with warranty?

Having worked in the Automotive R&D industry for 7 years I feel I am becoming stuck in a rut between Subaru and its extended warranty company and I would like some help from outside?

Background. I bought a 98 Turbo with a 12 month Subaru extended Warranty. Back in October 02, just at the end of the extended warranty period, the gearbox had difficulty engaging 3rd gear on the up shift, quite notchy. This problem rapidly became worse. I took it to a franchised dealer who replaced several of the cogs amongst other items. The warranty company covered this cost! 6 Months and approx 6k miles later the same symptoms have occurred. On taking it back to the dealers they believe that the problem lies with the bulk ring. (One of the items originally replaced). I have so far had no work carried out on it. Now the fun!

Having spoken to the dealer, who has been very helpful, it appears that the extended warranty company will not authorise the parts if they fail outside of the original contract. Subaru will not warrant the replacement parts directly as “they were not sold to me” even though they warrant parts for 12 months. As such it looks like the costs for the new repair will need to be born by myself.

Does anyone have any idea if there is a resolution to this problem, as it appears that the parts/(fitting)? are faulty? Can this be included under sale of goods? Failing that does anyone know any good gearbox repairers between Grantham and Lincoln or around the Chelmsford area?

Many thanks

Adrian