Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Legacy GT-B, info needed please (owners?)

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2003, 03:18 PM
Harps WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've decided that now is the time to sell my STI and put some of the money towards a mortgage, and since I use a different vehicle for everyday driving I can't see the point anymore in having such an expensive toy.

Ideally I would like to go down the Legacy twin-turbo route, since I have always prefered Legacys to Imprezas (espeially now the Impreza image is becoming dubious) and the best car I ever owned was a 95M Legacy turbo saloon.

I am looking to buy one for really the least I can get away with, and I can see that they are swapping hands for wildly varying prices.

What I really want to know is how they are to live with. I won't have a problem getting it serviced as I know I can trust the people I know at the local ex-Subaru dealer, but are parts a problem? Obviously fuel consumption is going to be heavy which I can live with as it will be used mainly at weekends for low mileage.

The main worry is really will it go wrong often and cost me a fortune to get fixed. Anybody with any experience of GT-Bs I would appreciate letting me know whether they had any problems or not.

Many Thanks

Andy Harps

PS are the brakes the four-pot type of the later Impreza, and how do they cope with the extra weight?

Old 13 May 2003, 04:25 PM
GTBTT
Scooby Newbie

I have an 1998 GTB Estate with 97k on the clock. In it's time with me, the only costs have been for consumables, such as pads,discs, tyres and servicing etc. This is undertaken by a local Subaru main dealer and is not overly expensive.

As for fuel consumption, it only really hurts if you a using full bore acceleration above 4k rpm and utilising all 280bhp, but you cant have your cake and eat it! Generally speaking, I see about 350 miles to a tank of Optimax or Super Unleaded.

I am currently thinking of changing my car, so am open to any offers. If you want more details, feel free to ask.
Old 13 May 2003, 04:28 PM
KevMac
Scooby Regular

Might want to look at thread with new pics of next years European Legacy Turbo - I'm definitely getting one!
Old 13 May 2003, 07:33 PM
Dremel
Scooby Regular

How do you get 350 miles out of a tank?
I can only manage 200 - 250 all types of driving

Dremel.
Old 13 May 2003, 07:41 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Old 14 May 2003, 08:24 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

The fuel economy seems to vary as much as the prices

I got down to 14mpg with ratty oil, and dying battery with A/C on in city traffic with lots of throttle With decent fluids, a good battery and A/C on I am now up to about 18mpg.

On runs out of town I am getting over 26mpg. In winter and on longer trips 28mpg plus is not that rare (maybe I'm getting old).

Cheers

edit: i guess 100Ron is helping...oops - and a B4

[Edited by AJbaseBloke - 5/14/2003 8:27:22 AM]
Old 14 May 2003, 09:05 AM
Harps WRX
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help.

I am expecting poor fuel consumption, as I get through an awful lot of the stuff in the (much lighter than a Legacy) RA.

Also seems to be the general consensus that they should not be modified, leaving even an exhaust and air filter off?

GTBTT - I currently still have the Impreza, but if you still have the car when I have found a buyer I would be very interested depending on your price and if it is a manual.

Trending Topics

Old 14 May 2003, 09:07 AM
GTBTT
Scooby Newbie

I can achieve this range on a tank of fuel, due to the fact that on most journey's I have a 10month old strapped in the back, and a wife sitting next to me who will not tolerate any speeding whatsoever and quite right.

Whilst driving solo the fuel consumption will drop to eye watering levels, but it's simply a case of "How fast can you afford to go?"

There's always a TDI Vectra if you want economy.
Old 14 May 2003, 05:09 PM
GTBTT
Scooby Newbie

HARPS WRX

Yes it is a manual. I have a company vehicle due on the 7th of June and as such am open to any offers. The brief details are:
New MOT, 6 months tax, Metallic midnight blue, 17" Alloys and new Bridgestones,Climate control, elec windows and elec folding and heated mirrors, privacy glass, CD,radio,cassette, spots and fogs, Scooby sport centre and back box, integral dog guard, rear headrests, Momo wheel and gear lever, twin airbags. Condition is immaculate.
Old 15 May 2003, 06:35 AM
MWiltshire
Scooby Newbie

Cool

GTBTT

I'm looking for a GTB and wonder if you would email me with regard to yours.
Old 15 May 2003, 08:34 AM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Smile

I thought you'd found one Matt

I'll let mine go to the chap coming on Tuesday then.

All the best
Old 15 May 2003, 09:42 AM
GTBTT
Scooby Newbie

MWiltshire:

I have emailed you direct with details.

Regards
GTBTT